Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,770,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus is the Lamb of God, and it's His blood that washes away sins, not water baptism nor anything else.

Leviticus 17:11 - For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

This is a shadow of what was to come when Jesus offered His blood upon God's altar for the atonement of our souls. However, there's a popular teacher in the evangelical world who claims that it's Jesus' death, not His blood, that is the atonement for sin. Yet, he's another false teacher, though he may seem as one who emphasizes holiness.
The son of man says this;

Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood possesses eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is honest drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
Just as the Father who sent me has life so too do I have life because of Him, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:23 PM

Unless I wash you, you shall have no part of my inheritance.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 PM

The son of man says;

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower.
He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit.
You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you.
Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me.
I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing.
Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:37 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,771,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Bingo! We have a winner! (See, katiemygirl, you and I may not be on the same side of every argument, but we are on the same side of this one.)

Jesus Christ told us to be baptized. He didn't just "suggest" that we be baptized. He commanded us to be baptized. He also said that he would save those who kept His commandments. No brainer on this one.
Would it be a degradation of Gods power to claim he cannot save his chosen. When God chose his Prophets how is that the Spirit of God spoke through them. When Jesus said to be born again he was asked how is that possible we cannot enter the womb and be born again. Jesus answered first you are born of water then of Spirit. The ritual water baptism is a ceremony. Jesus himself never Baptized anyone with the water ritual. The ritual of water is the new womb to be born out of. It also represents the soul. Water has represented the soul as an allegory in all the stories. Dividing of the seas by Moses and Elijah have deep meanings to be learned of in Spirit. To repent is the utmost significance. When someone repents and confesses Jesus is Lord what happens nothing? How is it that faith is bottled and sold by a supposed ordained preacher who is the one to perform the water baptism. When Jesus is our High priest that baptizes us with Fire. When a believer chooses to repent the sword divides the sea and thus the soul giving two witnesses. One is burned and the other saved.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Would it be a degradation of Gods power to claim he cannot save his chosen. When God chose his Prophets how is that the Spirit of God spoke through them. When Jesus said to be born again he was asked how is that possible we cannot enter the womb and be born again. Jesus answered first you are born of water then of Spirit. The ritual water baptism is a ceremony. Jesus himself never Baptized anyone with the water ritual. The ritual of water is the new womb to be born out of. It also represents the soul. Water has represented the soul as an allegory in all the stories. Dividing of the seas by Moses and Elijah have deep meanings to be learned of in Spirit. To repent is the utmost significance. When someone repents and confesses Jesus is Lord what happens nothing? How is it that faith is bottled and sold by a supposed ordained preacher who is the one to perform the water baptism. When Jesus is our High priest that baptizes us with Fire. When a believer chooses to repent the sword divides the sea and thus the soul giving two witnesses. One is burned and the other saved.
Clue.

Anyone who drinks the water I give them shall never become thirsty. The water I give them shall be like a fountain inside them springing up to provide eternal life.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Clue.

Anyone who drinks the water I give them shall never become thirsty. The water I give them shall be like a fountain inside them springing up to provide eternal life.
Amen
Exodus 17:6 ESV
Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb, and you shall strike the rock, and water shall come out of it, and the people will drink.” And Moses did so, in the sight of the elders of Israel.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus is the Lamb of God, and it's His blood that washes away sins, not water baptism nor anything else.

Leviticus 17:11 - For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

This is a shadow of what was to come when Jesus offered His blood upon God's altar for the atonement of our souls. However, there's a popular teacher in the evangelical world who claims that it's Jesus' death, not His blood, that is the atonement for sin. Yet, he's another false teacher, though he may seem as one who emphasizes holiness.
This is a True statement and a good point to bring up. It is the Blood that cleanses us of sin. Initially an offering was made for atonement. The water is the ritual of preparation before stepping into the temple. It is a ritual of washing. John being Jewish practiced the custom and told everyone to repent the kingdom is at hand.
Exodus 19:10-11 The LORD also said to Moses, "Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and let them wash their garments; and let them be ready for the third day, for on the third day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people.

Numbers 31:24
If anyone is familiar with the Old Test you will find many customs to follow when washing. And one in particular is the account of the Disciple failing to wash their hands.

Matt ch 15;1Then some Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2"Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread." 3And He answered and said to them, "Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?…
Of course I believe it is important know the ritual baptism of water. But Jesus is our salvation. Not tradition.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:18 PM

Baptism is to be done in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit—this is what makes it “Christian” baptism. It is through this ordinance that a person is admitted into the fellowship of the church. When we are saved, we are “baptized” by the Spirit into the Body of Christ, which is the church. First Corinthians 12:13 says, “We were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” Baptism by water is a “reenactment” of the baptism by the Spirit.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Baptism is to be done in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit—this is what makes it “Christian” baptism. It is through this ordinance that a person is admitted into the fellowship of the church. When we are saved, we are “baptized” by the Spirit into the Body of Christ, which is the church. First Corinthians 12:13 says, “We were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” Baptism by water is a “reenactment” of the baptism by the Spirit.[LEFT]
Read more: What is the importance of Christian baptism?
What is the importance of Christian baptism?
[/LEFT]
Since Christians are baptised in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit ,what are their names?????

Those who do not know are not baptized.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:46 PM

9,945 posts, read 4,899,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood possesses eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is honest drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
Just as the Father who sent me has life so too do I have life because of Him, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.
Please note that at John chapter 6 Jesus is addressing Jewish crowds. [ remember according to Matthew 13 v 34 Jesus would Not address the crowds without an illustration [ parable ]. So, John chapter 6 is an illustration.

Remember the Jewish crowds were already disappointed in Jesus [ see John 6 v 15 ] because Jesus turned down their opportunity to make him a king on earth.

Also, the setting and time frame of John chapter 6 is Not the time of the Last Supper, but said one year earlier.
Jesus had Not set up the new memorial of Luke 22 v 19. So, the Jewish crowds know nothing about the Last Supper or the New Covenant.

In verse 35 Jesus likens himself to the ' bread of life ' and bread is a blood-less eatable as Manna was, but Jesus would be the Superior Manna because Jesus flesh [ bread ] would have a more lasting effect than Manna.

Hebrews [ 9 vs 24-26 ] explains Jesus' ransom is Not that he should offer himself often, but now offer once and once to die - Hebrews 10 vs 12-14 - One singular one sacrifice.

Since the Jewish crowds were addressed with illustrations, then the verses of John chapter 6 are figurative as verses 35 and 40 show.

Jesus repeatedly stressed in John chapter 6 he will resurrect people on the 'last day' [ Jesus' messianic 1000-year long day of ruling over earth ]

The reason the Jewish crowds found Jesus' words repulsive at verse 60 is because of what is recorded at Genesis 9 v 4; Leviticus, 17 v 10 which forbid them to consume literal blood, and cannibalism was repulsive to them- 2nd Kings 6 vs 26-31

Jesus stressed in verses 38-40 the doing of God's will [ Luke 4 v 43 ]. Jesus connected believing with doing God's will, and belief was connected with labor or work mentioned at verses 27-29. That spiritual labor or work was Not for literal bread [ manna ] that perishes, but for Jesus as being the figurative ' bread ' of life.

P.S. Jesus is also a figurative door, lamp, vine and shepherd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity