Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times

Advertisements

Growing up in a Methodist church where Palm Sunday was a huge holy day for the church, I was amazed that the Assemblies of God church I attended Sunday did not even mention it was Palm Sunday, though neighboring church goers had palms on their lapels and children had huge palms waving in the streets. Why don't some churches acknowledge this major Christian holy day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Growing up in a Methodist church where Palm Sunday was a huge holy day for the church, I was amazed that the Assemblies of God church I attended Sunday did not even mention it was Palm Sunday, though neighboring church goers had palms on their lapels and children had huge palms waving in the streets. Why don't some churches acknowledge this major Christian holy day?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doesn't celebrate it. I'm not sure why, really. We just don't follow the liturgical calendar, although we do celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
There is no Biblical requirement to observe Palm Sunday. It is an historical event and of great interest, especially since He was crucified within the week of that joyously acclaimed entry into Jerusalem. Many church observances are merely the traditions of men, and vary from denomination to denomination. Some churches don't observe Christmas.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 PM

889 posts, read 825,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There is no Biblical requirement to observe Palm Sunday. It is an historical event and of great interest, especially since He was crucified within the week of that joyously acclaimed entry into Jerusalem. Many church observances are merely the traditions of men, and vary from denomination to denomination. Some churches don't observe Christmas.
Sounds like emptiness to me.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Sounds like emptiness to me.
Sounds like an insult to me.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:

Hi Tarheel (North Carolina fan eh?)

The church in the New Testament did not celebrate it. Where the Bible speaks, we speak. Where the Bible is silent, we are silent. Do not go beyond what is written, my friend. If Jesus had wanted us to celebrate it, you can bet it would have been in the New Testament.

Katie (a huge Uconn Huskies fan ---- #1)

Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 AM

Just an aside here.........

We should celebrate the resurrection of Jesus every first day (Sunday).

The scriptures do not use the word "Easter" as far as I know, but we know that Jesus was resurrected on the first day of the week.

When we partake of the Lord's Supper, we do it in His memory. We proclaim His death till he comes.

"He is risen!" That is what we need to celebrate.

Katie

Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
So, I assume you don't celebrate Christmas or Thanksgiving either?
Not as religious holidays, no. Do I buy gifts for my family? Yes I do. It is a family tradition. I also get together with my family for Thanksgiving.

Now let me ask you a question. Do you think it's okay to bind Palm Sunday as a religious holy day on people when we are not directed to do so?

Katie

Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Now let me ask you a question. Do you think it's okay to bind Palm Sunday as a religious holy day on people when we are not directed to do so?
Katie
Your question is more generic than that. It is NOT okay to bind ANY day as a religious day on people.. Anything we do not do voluntarily is of NO VALUE whatsoever. God is not a tyrant. We should act out of love . . . or we might as well not bother.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Not as religious holidays, no. Do I buy gifts for my family? Yes I do. It is a family tradition. I also get together with my family for Thanksgiving.

Katie
I have no idea what you mean by binding people to observe a religious holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity