Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 PM

4,595 posts, read 6,424,950 times

Advertisements

As someone who has recently been repented and renewed my life for Christ, I am struggling about how to react to people's questions about my changed behavior. For instance, I used to drink lightly, but now I decided to abstain to avoid the appearance of evil. A lot of non-Christian friends are curious why I suddenly don't drink anymore. Should I explain the real reason or give a generic answer such as "I just decided not to drink anymore" ? Likewise, I dont watch some tv programs because of objectionable content that I used to watch. Should I explain it as based on my desire to be closer to Christ? I dont want the attention to be on me, but on Christ, if I have to explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
As someone who has recently been repented and renewed my life for Christ, I am struggling about how to react to people's questions about my changed behavior. For instance, I used to drink lightly, but now I decided to abstain to avoid the appearance of evil. A lot of non-Christian friends are curious why I suddenly don't drink anymore. Should I explain the real reason or give a generic answer such as "I just decided not to drink anymore" ? Likewise, I dont watch some tv programs because of objectionable content that I used to watch. Should I explain it as based on my desire to be closer to Christ? I dont want the attention to be on me, but on Christ, if I have to explain.
Just try not to be sanctimonious about such trivialities. Your motives are no one's business but your own and you are under no obligation to explain them to anyone.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Never mind what other people think , its is what Jesus thinks and sees is what is important...... if you lose friends because you don`t drink alcohol then you lost them in Jesus name and the hundredfold return is yours and everlasting life is the reward, from Matthew 19:29....in Matthew 6:21..Jesus said ``For your treasure is there will your heart be also...``

Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
If you are actually doing (or abstaining) in the true spirit of your own walk first then you are not in control of what other people perceive about you and when those things are kept private you are not implying to others that they must do what you do.

If you actually believe you must do it as an appearance to others, then realistically your are doing it for a sanctimonious reason in the first place.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
If you are actually doing (or abstaining) in the true spirit of your own walk first then you are not in control of what other people perceive about you and when those things are kept private you are not implying to others that they must do what you do.

If you actually believe you must do it as an appearance to others, then realistically your are doing it for a sanctimonious reason in the first place.
Amen, Phaze . . .

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Yep

Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen, Phaze . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yep
Too much more of this agreement with Ashe and we will both need the EMTs.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:03 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Try to avoid making your friends uncomfortable about the fact that they drink and you don't. After all, it is ok for a Christians to have a beer or two, just not to get drunk. To tell them that you don't drink at all because the Bible says so, would not be honest. You can tell them that you could have a beer, but you just don't have the desire anymore.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:39 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Self-righteous judgments derive from a hypocritical attitude, thus, be honest with yourself and others if indeed it is truly not a desire.
Otherwise it is predicated on the appearance of things, which is not truth as Phazelwood pointed out; it's pretentious.

Quote:
If you actually believe you must do it as an appearance to others, then realistically you are doing it for a sanctimonious reason in the first place.
Finn is also correct concerning that of assumption.
And we all know that assuming anything, reflects on both parties.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM

4,595 posts, read 6,424,950 times
I think my natural inclination is to undergo change from above without rocking the boat, attracting any attention. I am more in danger of hiding my light, not being salt, than of parading my faith on my sleeves. Part of me wants to keep my same friends, go to the same places, without seeming weird or different from the crowd, so that keeps me from being showy about changes in my heart. I am concerned that I fear being different or odd or a Jesus Freak, which may inhibit my witness. PI find myself more vulnerable ot peer pressure than I ever was as a child or teenager. I have been changed, but I fear being viewed as weird by my old friends. But, I know I must die to self, including reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity