Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
I was talking with my wife the other day while we were listening to a Bible study and the subject came up did Jesus really die on the cross or did just his body die and he was still alive.

I told my wife that I thought many Christians do not think Jesus really die on the cross but just his body die and he went to preach to other in Hell like it says in the apostles creed.

The question really comes down to what is death. I believe that when Jesus died he was dead. The dead know nothing and there is no consciousness in Sheol which literally means "unperceived" . I have had many people tell me that when we die we automatically go to heaven or hell. If we are already in heaven or hell why would we need resurrection?

I believe when we are dead we are dead and we remain dead until Jesus returns and we are resurrected. The good news is that because the dead know nothing that when we die, whether it is a little while or a thousand years, to us it will be like closing our eyes and opening them to be in front of Jesus at his return.

The Bible likens death to sleep so like when you go to sleep at night and then you wake up in the morning to you,even though you know hours have past, you are not aware of them, you were unconscious, they were "unperceived".

As Paul says our hope is in the resurrection of Jesus because it shows us that we too will be resurrected.

I don't know how to set up a poll question on this site but if I could I would ask Did Jesus really die on the cross or just his body dies and he was still alive in spirit form.
Because the human mind can't comprehend doesn't make it not so.

Jesus who is from eternity to eternity, ... Jesus who is God, ... Jesus who is a part of the Trinity ............died.

People are aware of their situation after death. We know this because:
"Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,"

I doubt that the message Jesus preached to the people from Noah's day was about the fact they were in hell for some 2000 years.

The purpose of the ressurection is to reunite the body with the soul.
Another purpose is the fulfillment of the promise of those who die as believers are risen to eternal glory and bliss,
those who rejected Jesus are risen to eternal shame and punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 01:49 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,400,497 times
If god was incarnated as a man, he would have died, as a man is temporal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity