U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times

Advertisements

First consider that: God never forbids polygamy.

Then let us not forget that: God suggests when we select NT leaders for our congregations that we select men who only have one wife. But this in no way means any prohibition against others.

Also don't forget: God sets forth rules about conducting polygamy.

There is a strong metaphor in the NT about the groom and the bride. In this case the 'bride' is not singular, but plural [as in thousands of brides].

And lastly, when we name all of the OT prophets and leaders where their brides were even listed. [in the Bible a great many men's wife are not named]. But of those whose wives are named. A simple majority are polygamous.

To suggest that MOST prophets and leaders were in some manner sinning; when no such sin is listed by God; when these great men of God were righteous men; is wrong doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,899,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL! Oh my gosh! Does ignorance get any worse than this?
Are you seriously suggesting that Ishmael was in some twisted way the price Abraham paid for his "sin"? Abraham wasn't punished; he was blessed. Acts 3:25 says, "Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed." How could God have conceivably blessed Him more than this?

If God had been opposed to the practice of polygamy, why would He have given David more than one wife? Why would He have given someone something that was causing him to sin? 2 Samuel 12:7-8 clearly states that it was God's choice that David have more than one wife.

"And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things. It was not the fact that David had more than one wife that was sinful. It was that he coveted and committed murder. David already had more than one wife, wives God himself had given him.

There is absolutely no biblical evidence that God was displeased with the practice of polygamy per se. You can't provide one single solitary verse in which God condemned the practice, except when it was abused and practiced for the purpose of sexual fulfillment. Why would God have "allowed" it without at least saying it was wrong?
LOL, God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Eve and Dorthy and Nancy. Sin takes many forms and God may allow such sins to occur but He never endorses then and there is always a chastisment for sin. The extra biblical customs thruout time has allowed sins to be accepted as normal and thus we have the world we have now becoming more and more rebelious everyday.

You have proven nothing but you own reject of the truth that is right in front of you.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
LOL, God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Eve and Dorthy and Nancy.
You seem to think you're much funnier than you really are, Robin. If God didn't create Eve and Dorothy and Nancy, who did?

Quote:
Sin takes many forms and God may allow such sins to occur but He never endorses then and there is always a chastisment for sin.
Okay, so tell me where God told any of these Old Testament prophets that it was a sin for them to have more than one wife. That's all I'm asking you to do.

Quote:
The extra biblical customs thruout time has allowed sins to be accepted as normal and thus we have the world we have now becoming more and more rebelious everyday.
This is entirely beside the point. Nobody's saying that polygamy should be "accepted as normal." Nobody is suggesting that men today should be marrying multiple women. Don't pretend that people are saying things they aren't saying just to make your point.

Quote:
You have proven nothing but you own reject of the truth that is right in front of you.
What truth is right in front of me, Robin? Show it to me. Give me some verses where God told the individuals I've mentioned that they were sinning. Don't tell me I'm rejecting truth when you haven't provided any evidence that what you're saying is, in fact, truth.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,303,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena valleygirl View Post
People have said one wife, but I looked in the concordance and it says own wife, not one, except for bishops, elders and deacons, and isnt, Jesus married to each of his children, He husband, and then the church or bride, married to each one of us and a marrage supper tooo, I wonder about these things, God never condemned them and he never said "one" anywhere that I can find, others have told me that they can't find it either, i have my own cars works, not someone elses wife or not fornication?
For the doctrine, read the Bible.

Adam was/is made male and female, the first male Adam person "Ish" -the head of our race- was put to sleep and "bone/selfsame" was taken from his side, and the female Adam person "ishyah" was built and presented to him as his "ishyah =wife".
Adam had one only wife built for him, from his "bone" and by his remnant of spirit [Malachi 2:15] and all the Adam seed in the world came into their being -and will come into their being- from that male Adam ish, through his female Adam ishyah.

So do not blame God for men's practices in their sins.
Through Moses God gave the Torah, and "a [future] king was not to multiply wives unto himself".

The Church is born of the "sleep" -of death- that Christ come in flesh suffered for our Life.
The Church is "one" "ishyah" of the Christ, which is what Israel is the type of, as the nation given the New Man -second "Ish" for earth- name [Israel], as the "betrothed "Ishyah" of the Redeemer/Kinsman, in the spiritual sense.

Abraham took Hagar the handmaid of Sarah as his second wife to get seed by, on Sarah's recommend. Sarah repented and had him send Hagar away after she bore Ismael, the bane of the nation sprung from Isaac, ever since.

David did a lot of things that were not wisdom, and suffered much for his failings, but in the end, David was a man of God who sought God with all his heart -and anyone who has sinned can seek God and be "a man after God's own heart", in the end.

No man, since Adam fell, has lived a sinless life that would merit them entry into Eden above and into fellowship with the Glory that was lost at the fall, and Christ has come in flesh to live that perfect life, suffer for our sins, and die for us, to be the Way into that presence of Glory in Eden above, and all by His grace.
Because of the finished work of Christ we can be born again and adopted sons of God in the New Man living Spirit -who is One Spirit, just as all as Adam is one spirit [Malachi 2:15]; and then, to be adopted sons of God living below, He patterned our sonship in the priesthood of Israel -His namesake people and sign nation; and no priest in Israel was a polygamist. That is why the pattern for those who are ministers in His Church are not to have multiple living wives, as the marriage types Christ and His Church.

Moses' marriage to the Ethiopian woman, Adoniah, the queen of Ethiopia and widow of the late king, was a politically expedient marriage, when the Ethiopians installed Moses as king [until the late king's son grew up and took the throne], and Moses never went in to her, for sexual union, though he did become her husband.
You can read that in the real book of Jasher.
So Moses, who served as king and priest to Israel, was sexually united only to Keturah, a Midianite woman from Abraham and his third wife, whom Abraham married only after Sarah died.
Moses' Ethiopian wife remained in Ethiopia when Moses left in peace, to go to Midian.

Quote:
http://www.speakingbible.com/jasher/B01C076.htm (http://www.speakingbible.com/jasher/B01C076.htmAnd - broken link)

And (http://www.speakingbible.com/jasher/B01C076.htmAnd - broken link) in the fortieth year of the reign of Moses over Cush, Moses was sitting on the royal throne whilst Adoniah the queen was before him, and all the nobles were sitting around him.
4 And Adoniah the queen said before the king and the princes, What is this thing which you, the children of Cush, have done for this long time?
5 Surely you know that for forty years that this man has reigned over Cush he has not approached me, nor has he served the gods of the children of Cush.
6 Now therefore hear, O ye children of Cush, and let this man no more reign over you as he is not of our flesh.
7 Behold Menacrus my son is grown up, let him reign over you, for it is better for you to serve the son of your lord, than to serve a stranger, slave of the king of Egypt.
8 And all the people and nobles of the children of Cush heard the words which Adoniah the queen had spoken in their ears.
9 And all the people were preparing until the evening, and in the morning they rose up early and made Menacrus, son of Kikianus, king over them.
10 And all the children of Cush were afraid to stretch forth their hand against Moses, for the Lord was with Moses, and the children of Cush remembered the oath which they swore unto Moses, therefore they did no harm to him.
11 But the children of Cush gave many presents to Moses, and sent him from them with great honor.
12 So Moses went forth from the land of Cush, and went home and ceased to reign over Cush, and Moses was sixty-six years old when he went out of the land of Cush, for the thing was from the Lord, for the period had arrived which he had appointed in the days of old, to bring forth Israel from the affliction of the children of Ham.
13 So Moses went to Midian, for he was afraid to return to Egypt on account of Pharaoh, and he went and sat at a well of water in Midian.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 AM

164 posts, read 219,007 times
Exodus 21:20

If he take him another wife: her food, her clothing, and her duty of marriage , shall he not diminish.

2 Chron 11:21-23
And Rehoboam loved Maachah the daughter of Absalom above all his wives and his concubines: (for he took eighteen wives, and sixty concubines: and begat twenty eight sons, and sixty daughters.) And Rehoboam made Abijah the son of Maachah the chief, to be ruler among his brothers; for he thought to make him king. And he dealt wisely, and dispersed of all his children throughout all the countries of Judah and Benjamin, unto every fenced city and he gave them victual in abundance. And he desired many wives.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena valleygirl View Post
Exodus 21:20

If he take him another wife: her food, her clothing, and her duty of marriage , shall he not diminish.

2 Chron 11:21-23
And Rehoboam loved Maachah the daughter of Absalom above all his wives and his concubines: (for he took eighteen wives, and sixty concubines: and begat twenty eight sons, and sixty daughters.) And Rehoboam made Abijah the son of Maachah the chief, to be ruler among his brothers; for he thought to make him king. And he dealt wisely, and dispersed of all his children throughout all the countries of Judah and Benjamin, unto every fenced city and he gave them victual in abundance. And he desired many wives.
God certainly has it within His vocabulary to forbid anything that displeases Him.

If this displeased Him, I suspect He would have forbidden it.

Instead He gave us guidelines, for how to do it.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:25 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,681,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, they did. They had more than one wife and it was an acceptable practice. God has occasionally approved of polygamy. There is nothing inherently "wrong" with it, as long as it is practiced with his approval -- as was the case with these examples. Based on what the scriptures say, though, it appears that monogamy should be the general rule.

Make sure the other wives also approve, I can get Gods approval for that EASY, I can just say he approves and no one can tell me different.

But I wouldn't be as scared of God as I would be scared of my one wife finding out I had another one. I do not have another one because I want my male member to remain attached to my body.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM

164 posts, read 219,007 times
good point, lol, about telling a feminist about your other wives you are going to have, you might lose more than one part of your body, but not all woman are like that, you got to figure in Song of Solomon, they all wanted him, he didn't force them, and David either or Abraham at 137, they loved him and of course he loved them, Jacobs wives loved him, he made a mistake that was farvouring one over another, but he had all four at the same time, and they were his cousins and sisters, they never nor did any other woman that was married to her husband and there was another wife ever said to them, you should not have married anyone else, or you do not have a right to do it, for they did, and God wanted it, it is clear, So just having Eve is great, but if God gives you Rachel and Leah, well then you love them both, or Rachel, Leah and both their maids, lol,

wow David a sinner, living in sin, the father of faith living in sin? Jacob living in sin? Moses living in sin? and he did have sex with her, the second wife, he wasn't clinton and just didn't inhale, oh my, Gideon a sinner too, Sampson and 3 islamic girls a sinner, God gave him those women and then he ripped the doors off the city too, God was saying no Christian wife in Israel for you.

Arena in the valley

Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,303,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
God certainly has it within His vocabulary to forbid anything that displeases Him.

If this displeased Him, I suspect He would have forbidden it.

Instead He gave us guidelines, for how to do it.
He showed us how to do it, when He built one ishyah/wife from the one Ish/ husband, in Genesis and then, later, set up the priesthood in Israel as the type and shadow of the holy sons of God -who married one wife til death, and was then free to marry another -with rules for who he was free to marry, and He also set rules in the NT for His Church. One wife for one husband.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
He showed us how to do it, when He built one ishyah/wife from the one Ish/ husband, in Genesis and then, later, set up the priesthood in Israel as the type and shadow of the holy sons of God -who married one wife til death, and was then free to marry another -with rules for who he was free to marry, and He also set rules in the NT for His Church. One wife for one husband.
And yet God never forbids polygamy, instead gives us guidelines for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity