U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 AM

15,287 posts, read 7,671,596 times

Advertisements

In the "Love God" thread, we were talking about the Biblical statement that God IS Love. In other words, Love is not just one of the qualities that God possesses, but is foundationally what God IS. Everything about God must, obviously, eminate from that foundation and if someone believes something about God that is not congruent with Love, then it needs to be re-examined.

So, if one loves Love, then one is loving God. Of course, Biblically speaking, this is not about an emotion. Love is defined in 1 Cor 13. To love Love means to ardently desire and be devoted to becoming what Love/God IS: patient, kind,`not envious or boastful, not arrogant or rude, not insisting on its own way, not irritable or resentful, not rejoicing at evil but rejoicing with the truth; bearing all things, hoping all things, enduring all things. And 1 John makes it clear that if one is not exhibiting these qualities towards other people, then they cannot claim to be loving (be devoted and obedient to) God/Love.

Now, there is one other statement (that I am aware of) that speaks of what God IS, foundationally. It's also found in 1 John: God IS Light.

So, following the theme of the previous thread, it seemed like a profitable thing to meditate on what it means to love Light/God? What are the properties of Light/God, and what are the properties of spiritual darkness by which one can recognize the absence of love for Light in themselves? How do you expect/desire to be transformed by the Light, personally? Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM

My own quick, initial (and disjointed) thoughts:

1 John links Love & Light, inextricably, when it says that if one hates another person that one is in darkness but if one is loving another person, then they are abiding in the Light. So, meditating on both Love & Light seems like it would give some well-rounded insight.

For myself, as someone who does not "believe in" a literal Jesus but can find great wisdom about Love in the teachings attributed to him as well as seeing the "Jesus narrative" as spiritually symbolic, the fact that the gospel of John delcares that he is the Light is obviously significant.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:19 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,342,510 times
God is everything, including hate and fear. What are you trying to prove?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
God is everything, including hate and fear.
I don't know what you base your beliefs on, but if you take the Bible into account at all, then this is not accurate. Nowhere does the Bible say that God IS hate or fear.

The Bible says that God IS Love, and further says that there is NO fear in Love.

Quote:
What are you trying to prove?

Nothing.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,714,990 times
Pleroo, I tend to agree with your points, but what defines true Love? We can Love Love and say therefore we love God, but what is Love?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Pleroo, I tend to agree with your points, but what defines true Love? We can Love Love and say therefore we love God, but what is Love?
Take a look at the second paragraph of my o.p. That's obviously a cursory explanation of an unfathomably deep subject but, imho, it's a good place to start.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 PM

3,065 posts, read 5,342,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Nowhere does the Bible say that God IS hate or fear.
Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Is that enough?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Is that enough?
It doesn't say that God IS those things.

This passage, imho, begins a whole different discussion (one which is worth having) about the problem of reconciling why a loving God would allow (or create) evil. That actually did get some discussion in the other "Love God" thread... Perhaps you'd like to go to that thread and continue with your train of thought there and we could leave this one for continuing a discussion on the Light/Love theme.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
What are you trying to prove?
Quote:
Nothing.
I take that back. I may be trying to prove something. I may be trying to prove to myself that the way I was taught to view God, Jesus and the bible (with a literalist/fundamentalist mindset) which has shown itself to be faulty and very much at odds with Love, does not mean that God, Jesus and the bible really ARE at odds with Love. Perhaps I am trying to prove to myself that I can learn to see God/Love more clearly now that I have left that literalist mindset behind (that the "light" in me will no longer really be darkness, as Jesus said to the Pharisees and teachers of the Law.)

But, even if I cannot prove those things to myself, even if all I do is further convince myself that there is no god, or that the Jesus story is indeed a myth, or that the bible as a whole has been distorted to the point of being essentially useless, I am content that meditating on Love & Light can only be a good thing.

I don't totally understand why this would be threatening to Christians who believe that God IS Love & Light, but it does seem to have that effect on some. The assumption by some appears to be that I have a hidden evil agenda (your question may not have been implying that, I don't know). Or perhaps that since I am not a professing Christian, then I have no business reading or discussing the bible. If there is truth to be found in the bible, I wonder why some Christians seem so anxious to control portioning it out as only they see fit and seem to want bar other people from it.

I'm grateful for those who do not display that attitude, but perplexed by those who do.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 PM

18,321 posts, read 9,067,741 times
Quote:
I am content that meditating on Love & Light can only be a good thing.
It is the light of love, which is contained within each of us; not through any other medium of darkness or hate.

"The absence of one thing, leaves only the presence of the other."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or