Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Capital punishment has been abolished in much of the world.

Use of capital punishment by nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpt:

41 (21%) maintain the death penalty in both law and practice.

95 (49%) have abolished it.

8 (4%) retain it for crimes committed in exceptional circumstances (such as in time of war).

49 (25%) permit its use for ordinary crimes, but have not used it for at least 10 years and are believed to have a policy or established practice of not carrying out executions, or it is under a moratorium.

And if you look at the map in the link, capital punishment is more prevalent in third-world countries and nearly non-existent in first-world countries.

The United States is the exception.

14 U.S. states have abolished capital punishment. The most executions are in the South.

Now that we have DNA evidence, it has been discovered that people have been wrongfully executed in the past. I have a relative by marriage who was raped and shot in the head by three guys, and her boyfriend was killed by them. For decades, the police thought a certain man was one of the guilty three, but DNA evidence recently proved he was not.
None of that has any bearing on the reality of the principle that God has ordained capital punishment for those who commit murder.

Yes, there have been cases when innocent people have been executed. In eternity past God chose the time, place and manner of death of everyone who dies. No one dies without God allowing it. Even in cases of suicide, God permits it. I don't mean that He approves of it. It isn't His will that people take their own life. But man has volition and some people simply take their own life.

God has established capital punishment as a part of human government. That many or most nations have abolished it only shows their rejection of what God has ordained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
None of that has any bearing on the reality of the principle that God has ordained capital punishment for those who commit murder.

Yes, there have been cases when innocent people have been executed. In eternity past God chose the time, place and manner of death of everyone who dies. No one dies without God allowing it. Even in cases of suicide, God permits it. I don't mean that He approves of it. It isn't His will that people take their own life. But man has volition and some people simply take their own life.

God has established capital punishment as a part of human government. That many or most nations have abolished it only shows their rejection of what God has ordained.
"For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment. " James 2.13

"LOVE your enemies." Christianity 101.

Just for the record!

Peace,
brian

Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:

Humans wrote several books over a very long span of time and eventually those books were bound together and called the "Bible" after tons of argument about which of the books were "inspired by God."

Those same humans thought there was nothing wrong with slavery or even outright killing people just to get their land (Canaan) "because God told them to."

Maybe they should have killed themselves after murdering the Canaanites since they believed in capital punishment for murder?

Just because you think the people who wrote those books were speaking for God doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Now if God himself shows up in person to tell us about his love for capital punishment, then we'll have something to talk about.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
"For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment. " James 2.13

"LOVE your enemies." Christianity 101.

Just for the record!

Peace,
brian
When Jesus Christ returns at the end of the tribulation He will destroy those who attempt to fight against Him (Rev 19:11-19). When He establishes His kingdom, those who oppose His rule will be destroyed. Psalms 2.

Capital punishment was ordained by God. It is still in effect.

If I were in the military and on the battlefield in war, I would kill the enemy and let God sort them out.

If I were a judge, I would not hesitate to sentence a murderer to death.

I would not hesitate to kill to defend myself or someone else.

And yes, I follow Christ.

The love that a Christian is commanded to have for the human race is an impersonal love which is based on his own integrity based on the Bible doctrine in his soul. There is no conflict with love and killing when necessary.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Humans wrote several books over a very long span of time and eventually those books were bound together and called the "Bible" after tons of argument about which of the books were "inspired by God."

Those same humans thought there was nothing wrong with slavery or even outright killing people just to get their land (Canaan) "because God told them to."

Maybe they should have killed themselves after murdering the Canaanites since they believed in capital punishment for murder?

Just because you think the people who wrote those books were speaking for God doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Now if God himself shows up in person to tell us about his love for capital punishment, then we'll have something to talk about.
God does not love capital punishment. But it is a matter of Justice.

I have no interest in talking to those who are set on rejecting the truth. If you will not believe the truth then believe the lie. It's on your head.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
God has established capital punishment as a part of human government
That many or most nations have abolished it only shows their rejection of what God has ordained.
He ordained that the restrictions according to law were to be lifted, desiring mercy; not sacrifice.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
God does not love capital punishment. But it is a matter of Justice.

I have no interest in talking to those who are set on rejecting the truth. If you will not believe the truth then believe the lie. It's on your head.

If God did not know anything he would not be omnipotent ... I need mercy! I am guilty and I desire mercy ... !

Old 05-06-2011, 03:19 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:

If I were in the military and on the battlefield in war, I would kill the enemy and let God sort them out.

The love that a Christian is commanded to have for the human race is an impersonal love which is based on his own integrity based on the Bible doctrine in his soul. There is no conflict with love and killing when necessary.
The only reason to kill is in self defense when one's life or a loved ones' life is in danger at that very moment.

Sentencing someone to death is not self defense and there is no real necessity for it. People like the idea because human nature wants retribution.

Retribution and justice are not the same thing.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:37 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
"38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

"26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

"37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven"

Again, Christianity 101. Basic training. Back to the basics. Keep it simple.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-06-2011, 06:41 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
When Jesus Christ returns at the end of the tribulation He will destroy those who attempt to fight against Him (Rev 19:11-19). When He establishes His kingdom, those who oppose His rule will be destroyed. Psalms 2.

Where did you get this really asinine idea from....your Dallas cohorts?????????? Agape Love (Unconditional Love)...the same Love God has for us is the love you are supposed to have for your fellow man. The Christ within should give one the heart and eyes of God...it will enable you to see people the way God sees them...to love them the way God loves them...there is nothing IMPERSONAL about that kind of love.

You say you follow Christ???? After what you've posted it begs the question...which one???????

It's apparent, by a majority of your posts, that you focus on the man made wrath god...while completing missing the real God. I hope you find Him one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity