Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 PM

33 posts, read 49,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
DEATH PENALTY ? IS IT REQUIRED for cold blooded murder............in Illinois it is not...............does this violate the rule of law?...........and the CONSTITUTION. RULE OF GOD.............I THINK in most CASES MURDER REQUIRES DEATH......and I am afraid In Illinois we are already seeing the consequences of removing the Death Penalty. and the folly of electing a Pat Quinn.

In the OT yes there were death penalties.

Under the NT there are none. The early church was strictly against capital punishment.

It's tough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,189 times
Default life in prison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I disagree with your dispensationalist view, but I'm sure there is really nothing I can say to dissuade you from it.

Why didn't God order David or Paul executed? They were both guilty of murder. Why didn't God strike Moses dead in the desert for his killing of the Egyptian (and subsequent fleeing from "justice")? Why didn't Jesus strike His killers (crucifiers) dead after the Resurrection? Why didn't Christians try to get the Romans executed (or go to war against them) for the countless murders and martyrdoms of Christian leaders in the 1st century? Moreover, why did God USE these evil -- and, according to Mike, condemned -- individuals to advance his kingdom?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather err on the side of mercy and grace than brutal judgment. Life imprisonment keeps a killer from killing again, and it gives a victim's family closure much faster than the death penalty does. It also gives the killer the chance to repent and make things right with God, society and his victim's family / friends (if they are willing to forgive). Yes, God is a God of justice, but he is also a God of MERCY, and he shows NO pleasure in seeing the wicked die. Instead, He wants them to turn from their ways and live.
...........that would be cruel and unusual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity