Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,837 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious as to why my fellow Christians only believe in the Bible and say that there can not be any more revelation. The only scripture I've heard that talks about this is Revelation 22: 18-21 which says:
Quote:
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life.
This would seem to say the Bible is complete, but this refers only to the book of Revelation. The Bible was not put together until many years after the books were all written. Many parts of Jesus' ministry were not recorded as well as many Old Testament era events.

Many more scriptures talk about the need for more scripture as opposed to limiting it to the Bible. John 21:25 says
Quote:
And there are also many things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.
I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I would really like to hear other justification for the Bible as currently comprised being the whole word of God. Do you think the Bible right now has everything we need to understand what we are supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:40 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Why do believe the Bible to be the whole word of God? Because God is omniscient, omnipotent, infinite and has the power to do all things. Everything we need is there. God would not allow His Word to be tainted by human error.
2 Peter 1:20-21 2 Timothy 3:16

Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 PM

530 posts, read 779,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Why do believe the Bible to be the whole word of God? Because God is omniscient, omnipotent, infinite and has the power to do all things. Everything we need is there. God would not allow His Word to be tainted by human error.
Amen brother!(or sister!).

Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
There are other verses that say the same thing. Here's a link.

The Bible says in several places not to add to his words

Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post

When the Book of Revelation was finished around 95 A.D., the Canon of Scripture was complete. The fact that the books were not all assembled together under one cover as we have them today is irrelevant. One of the criteria for canonicity was that the New Testament books had to be written by an apostle or someone closely associated with an apostle. Mark was associated with Peter, and Luke was associated with Paul. John was the last of the apostles and when he died there were no more writers of scripture.

The Bible is God's complete message to man. God's thoughts, His doctrines, His plan, His promises, and everything that God wanted us to know concerning our relationship with Him was communicated to the human authors of Scripture and then under the power of the Holy Spirit, they recorded this revelation in writing.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Why? Because God told me so. Nuff Said.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
But where?

To everyone, thank you for your civil responses. Your answers are very informative. While I don't completely agree with what you all have said, I'm very grateful for your answering my question in an easy to understand way.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:46 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post

Those verses appear throughout the Bible. Evidently, someone wasn't listening. Deuteronomy was the first of those verses to have been written. Why doesn't the Bible just end there? The article you linked to answers this question. It says: "... one is not to add their own words to what God gave. Each one is a specific book that was complete that man was not to add or subtract from."

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God has decided to stop talking to his children, and that starting at some arbitrary point, we're on our own with what He had given us up until that time. He says we're not supposed to add our words to His and try to pass them off as His, but it certainly never says that those of us who are alive in 2011 aren't as much in need of His continued direction as those who lived in 2011 B.C. were.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-28-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Could you be a bit less vague about that? Or was God that vague when He told you so?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

When the Book of Revelation was finished around 95 A.D., the Canon of Scripture was complete.
According to whom?

Quote:
The Bible is God's complete message to man.
Why would you say that? Aren't we every bit as important to Him as those who lived thousands of years ago? Do we need Him any less? He never said "The Bible is my complete message to man. You're on your own, folks."

The Bible is a wonderful book, but no where in the Bible are we told that God has nothing more to say to us. Just look at the gap in time between the Old and New Testaments. It obviously must have appeared to the Jews as if God was through communicating to man. When more was revealed (i.e. the New Testament), they figured it couldn't possibly be God speaking since he'd finished saying everything He wanted to say back in Malachi (which wasn't exactly written on the eve of the Christian era). Too bad for them. Look where it got them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity