Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Define 'Christian'
Anyone who says they are a Christian 4 25.00%
Anyone who believes Jesus Christ is the savior 14 87.50%
Those who believe in the Trinity 3 18.75%
Those who say belief in Christ is the only way into heaven 3 18.75%
Only those in my particular denomination 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If other churches that believe exactly as the Lutheran Church believes, they wouldn't be other churches. They obviously have some beliefs that are not shared by Lutherans. That must mean they're false.
It does not mean they're all false in that they're are not Christian.

It means that the differences they have doesn't negate what makes the central core beliefs that define what a Christian is from one that claims to be one.

Quote:
Some Christians definitely do believe those things. Some don't. Interestingly, you didn't even mention that Christians believe in obeying Jesus Christ's commandments. Some people would say that that's a mark of a true Christian. It's strange how behaving like a disciple of Christ should behave didn't even make your list. (By the way, before you respond by saying that works don't save, keep in mind that this thread isn't about how a person is saved. It's about what qualifies a person to be a Christian.)
The one's who don't believe in the list I provided are not Christian....no matter how many insist to the contrary.

I find it par for course that you would want to seperate what qualifies a person to be a Christian from how a person is saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
God doesn't give a rats behind what dogma, ceremonies or rituals one adheres to at church...and if one actually does think this...then they don't really KNOW God at all.
No Christy......God does give a rats behind.
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

It is a lie to claim that worshipping anything\one other than the Triune God will lead to the same eternal result.

The dogma of Christianity is that God is Triune.
The dogma of Christianity is that Jesus is God and has always existed as God.

To claim that God is not triune and Jesus is not God ( and go as far to say that Jesus and Satan are brothers) is not only blasphemous but worshipping another god.

You can not expect the same eternal results from opposite views.
The dogma of doctrines don't permit it.

The dogma of Christianity claims there will be no athesists in heaven. God will hold unbelief accountable.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
No Christy......God does give a rats behind.
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

It is a lie to claim that worshipping anything\one other than the Triune God will lead to the same eternal result.

The dogma of Christianity is that God is Triune.
The dogma of Christianity is that Jesus is God and has always existed as God.

To claim that God is not triune and Jesus is not God ( and go as far to say that Jesus and Satan are brothers) is not only blasphemous but worshipping another god.

You can not expect the same eternal results from opposite views.
The dogma of doctrines don't permit it.

The dogma of Christianity claims there will be no athesists in heaven. God will hold unbelief accountable.
Actually, Christy is right. The dogma, rites and ceremonies are mans creation, not God's. God doesn't care if we sing and dance or if we just blow out a candle for a ritual. All He cares about is that we Love one another. Without condition. Seems that too many people put conditions on things that it leaves no room for the Love. When we just live in the world without being of it, we are better able to practice the True teachings of Jesus. Love one another. We are the holy and sacred ones. Not the material man made things that are only temporary.

And, God will not hold an unbeliever accountable. He will make the correction and if they practice what Jesus taught then the only thing they will need to add is the worship of God. The only difference between you and an athiest is the belief in God. Otherwise, you are exactly the same.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
It does not mean they're all false in that they're are not Christian.
Okay, so they are Christian, but they are still teaching some false doctrines?

Quote:
The one's who don't believe in the list I provided are not Christian....no matter how many insist to the contrary.
Whatever. God begs to differ. Some people want very much to serve God, but only in an advisory capacity. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Quote:
I find it par for course that you would want to seperate what qualifies a person to be a Christian from how a person is saved.
It's not my thread, twin.spin. Had it been my thread, I might have done what you are accusing me of. But since it's not, I was merely posting a reminder of what the OP asked, and the question that was asked was "What is a Christian?" not "How is one saved?"

Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Okay, so they are Christian, but they are still teaching some false doctrines?
Depends on whom. There is a Lutheran church body that believes itself to be Lutheran and Christian...and by their confessions they're certianly not Lutheran and possibly be not considered Christian.

Confessions make up the doctrine upon which a church exists (no matter of size)... be it of size of one person or millions.

There are fundamental "no if's" confession of beliefs, (which breached) will result in damnation.

Quote:
Whatever. God begs to differ. Some people want very much to serve God, but only in an advisory capacity. If the shoe fits, wear it.
Sincerity doesn't qualify as the mark of "what is a Christian".
Granted "Some people want very much to serve God" but still the man who attempted by obeying the law went away disappointed .... despite his sincerity.

Quote:
It's not my thread, twin.spin. Had it been my thread, I might have done what you are accusing me of. But since it's not, I was merely posting a reminder of what the OP asked, and the question that was asked was "What is a Christian?" not "How is one saved?"
How one is saved has all to with "what is a Christian". They're inseparable.
Whom God is has all to with "How is one saved?"
What a person believes as the revealed truth has has all to with "what is a Christian".... which determines .... "How is one saved?"

I would think that after all the back and forths you'd realize that by now.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I would think that after all the back and forths you'd realize that by now.
I'm just messing with you, twin.spin. I would think that after all the back and forths you'd realize that by now. You're just so much fun I can't help myself.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-03-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The dogma of Christianity claims there will be no athesists in heaven.
What are you going to do when you meet June 7th in Heaven, twin.spin? I would just freakin' love to see the look on your face!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
What are you going to do when you meet June 7th in Heaven, twin.spin? I would just freakin' love to see the look on your face!
You are right, Katz . . . the look would be priceless . . . perhaps "Just June" and Pleroo will take him to one of the heavenly restaurants for some manna to help him recover from the shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity