Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Define 'Christian'
Anyone who says they are a Christian 4 25.00%
Anyone who believes Jesus Christ is the savior 14 87.50%
Those who believe in the Trinity 3 18.75%
Those who say belief in Christ is the only way into heaven 3 18.75%
Only those in my particular denomination 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:16 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,369 times

Advertisements

It seems that a lot of people here say that certain denominations are "not Christian", mostly Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. I haven't yet seen people refer to Protestants as not Christian. So let's just simplify things. What is a Christian?

Edit: By the way, 'my' in the poll's 5th question refers to your denomination, not mine. My mistake for not making it clearer.

Last edited by PGKangrui; 04-29-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:33 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
It seems that a lot of people here say that certain denominations are "not Christian", mostly Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc. I haven't yet seen people refer to Protestants as not Christian. So let's just simplify things.
Yes, but it's the Protestants who are saying the rest of us are not Christians.

Quote:
What is a Christian?
I believe that anyone who believes in Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of God and looks to Him for salvation is a Christian.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 PM

164 posts, read 264,790 times
None of those, you have to repent and believe the gospel, even the demons believe and tremble, He said that they believed in Him, but He knew all men,

Got to have true faith and turn from your sin, repent and believe the gospel, Jesus said it for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, but it's the Protestants who are saying the rest of us are not Christians.

I believe that anyone who believes in Jesus Christ as the Only Begotten Son of God and looks to Him for salvation is a Christian.
I agree with you. My Protestant grandfather often says that my mother, who converted to Mormonism, is not a Christian. We ask, "Why not? We believe in Christ just as you do?" It was very challenging, especially since he would try to talk my mother out of her faith every time we visited. We had to leave at the last minute to avoid constant doctrinal challenges, which he normally saved for the day we left. In fact, we got called by the "Concerned Christians" who try to "save" the Mormons. Very awkward situation.

Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people here reject other branches of Christianity as "not Christian". I'd like to here them explain, because it doesn't seem very christlike to me.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena valleygirl View Post
None of those, you have to repent and believe the gospel, even the demons believe and tremble, He said that they believed in Him, but He knew all men,

Got to have true faith and turn from your sin, repent and believe the gospel, Jesus said it for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Good answer, but what is "the gospel"?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure you read the question correctly, Arena. The question was not "What must a person do to be saved?" It was "What is a Christian?"

Old 04-29-2011, 07:06 PM

164 posts, read 264,790 times
It is the same, none of those is a Christian like that, lol, Katz

Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
I agree with you. My Protestant grandfather often says that my mother, who converted to Mormonism, is not a Christian. We ask, "Why not? We believe in Christ just as you do?" It was very challenging, especially since he would try to talk my mother out of her faith every time we visited. We had to leave at the last minute to avoid constant doctrinal challenges, which he normally saved for the day we left. In fact, we got called by the "Concerned Christians" who try to "save" the Mormons. Very awkward situation.

Unfortunately, it seems a lot of people here reject other branches of Christianity as "not Christian". I'd like to here them explain, because it doesn't seem very christlike to me.
Many people believe that Mormons are not Christians because this is what their pastors are telling them. And their pastors wouldn't lie, would they? My hope is that people will learn to think for themselves, and to stop and really give some thought to some of the "qualifications" they believe a person must meet in order to be a "Christian." I say that because most of the things they come up with would disqualify known Christians all the way back to the time of Christ.

I guess the bottom line, though, was summed up quite nicely by Mother Teresa when she said, "For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It never was between you and them anyway." God knows perfectly well who is a Christian and who isn't. He's not going to need to ask any one of us for input on that particular issue.

Last edited by Katzpur; 04-29-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
It is the same, none of those is a Christian like that, lol, Katz
What's so funny, Arena? Was I supposed to pick up on a joke I missed somewhere? Or are you just one of those people who throw a "lol" into every sentence?

You didn't actually answer the question of what a Christian is. You answered the question of what a person must do to be saved. How can you say both questions are the same?

Perhaps you are just thinking that one of the choices should have been, "a Christian is a person who has repented of his sins and believed the gospel." But as Kangrui noted, you didn't explain what the gospel is.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
A Christian is one who wants to have a relationship with the Lord, walk with the Lord and spread the gospel. They want to have Heavenly aspirations, to put their trust in the Lord and not things of the world. These things mentioned in the polls are fine but one has to put action behind their belief as "faith through works"' . One may seem like a Chritian to another by going to church, carrying a bible and reciting scripture but only God knows the true heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity