Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:01 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
A theory means there is still information that has not been definitivly sought or found while a fact has all information on a subject. Many facts within science are really only theories that will change with added information. No one can know everything but many believe they already do.
Who told you that? You know, if you had read this thread through you might have come across what the difference is when discussing scientific terminologies. You are making Theory and fact as different levels on a scale of certainty. Don't do that. You will fall in to a trap. Just helping you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Yes but it is still a theory not a fact.
So is gravity, electromagnetism, Quantum theory, Germ Theory, Thermodynamics, Photosynthesis, Periodic Table of the Elements, Relativity, Acoustics, Chaos Theory, Number theory, Cell Theory, Decision theory and Circuit Theory.

Be so good as to indicate which of the above 'theories' you don't accept because 'they are only theories'.

Last edited by Rafius; 05-26-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Who told you that?
I'd hazard a guess at 'Answers in Genesis' or the 'Institute for Creation Research'.

Here Robin...at least TRY mate.

A scientific theory has been tested repeatedly and is correct for all observed results.

A common theory (as used in everyday language) is just a guess.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So is gravity, electromagnetism, Quantum theory, Germ Theory,
Thermodynamics, Photosynthesis, Periodic Table of the Elements, Relativity, Acoustics, Chaos Theory, Number theory, Cell Theory, Decision theory and
Circuit Theory.

Be so good as to indicate which of the above 'theories' you don't accept because 'they are only theories'.
I tried to tell my music theory teacher that I didn't believe in music and that the class was just a bunch of wild guesses and speculation and it wasn't even real and has never been proven, so it's never been shown to exist, because it is just a theory. She didn't buy it.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I'd hazard a guess at 'Answers in Genesis' or the 'Institute for Creation Research'.

Here Robin...at least TRY mate.

A scientific theory has been tested repeatedly and is correct for all observed results.

A common theory (as used in everyday language) is just a guess.
Actually, the just a theory arument is one that made AiG's list of arguments NOT to use.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Actually, the just a theory arument is one that made AiG's list of arguments NOT to use.
Well that's progress I suppose.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:22 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
LOL, you are both taking your understand vs my understanding to an inappropriat level and it is funny how you defend you opinions while ignoring the facts.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
LOL, you are both taking your understand vs my understanding to an inappropriat level and it is funny how you defend you opinions while ignoring the facts.
What has you LOL-ing about being on the same page when discussing scientific terms? I mean, even AiG understands the folly of the "just a theory" argument. How do you expect your arguments to have merit or even be persuasive, if you are unfamiliar with the terminology?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,032 times
Quote:
Of course not, 'just a theory' is a dead give away. The age of the earth is also a measurement.
In science theory doesnt mean theory... this is what people dont understand...
theory is already a proven or accepted fact.
Hypothesis in science means theory in normal day to day.
you first have a hypothesis, once you prove it to be true, it becomes a theory...
This started a long time ago, when theory never was always proven, but then the church decided to change the meaning of the word...

Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Electromagnetism, Quantum theory, Germ Theory, Thermodynamics, Photosynthesis, Periodic Table of the Elements, Relativity, Acoustics, Chaos Theory, Number theory, Cell Theory, Decision theory and Circuit Theory.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity