Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:59 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It wasn't necessarily 7 solar days.

Yes, one of the meanings of the Hebrew word yowm (translated as "day")is a 24 hour period, but it has other meanings which might just as easily apply. It can mean anything from a year, to a day as we understand it, to a general but un-defined period of time. Temporally, it can simply mean "yesterday, today or tomorrow." In Genesis, it is defined as the time period between evening and morning, without any indication of how many "hours" that was. In any case, God is not limited to existing in linear time. Time, as we understand it, means nothing to Him.

We readily accept the principle that a day is like unto 1000 years for God, and that when Daniel spoke of "weeks," he really didn't mean 7 days, yet we cling to the idea that the "days" in Genesis must be 24 hour days. I personally don't see any reason to do so.

And, there's this to consider: We can measure the speed of light and it seems to be constant throughout the universe. So much so that we measure distances in the universe by light years, the distance light travels in a year. Right now, our best calculation is the the edge of the VISIBLE universe is 15 billion light years away. If we accept the preposterous idea that the universe is only 6000 years old, we'd have to accept that the light from that most distant point began its journey here literally billions of years before its source was even created!

That just doesn't make sense, does it?
He devided light from darkness on the first day...And called the Day and Night...On the Fourth day He created the Sun and the Moon among other things...So, it seems that He put the Light in it's place along with the Darkness before He made the ruling lights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
How do you reconcile those 6000 years with scientific evidence suggesting billions of years?
Well, it does not indicate when God created the substance that He created with...Just that He formed everything...the substance could have been around for awhile...

Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well, it does not indicate when God created the substance that He created with...Just that He formed everything...the substance could have been around for awhile...
Absolutely! My question was directed to the OP, but your explanation is fine.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena valleygirl View Post
It is called the Word of God and history, even secular history goes with the Bible in most cases, my bible is not wikipeda, IT IS THE WORD, JESUS CHRIST, Truth

you know many evolution post say 4.5 billion so you might want to consult your evolutionary handbook,

lol, Satan I am going to take you out, resting on the Rock and work of Chirst, Satan you are defeated at the cross, your lies, and the antichrist, you will get killed antichrist God says, so remember the Sword that is going to kill you is the Word of God, and you are going to rise once you get killed, but you will not win, Jesus got the keys of hell and death, and in Jesus name you are toast.

with love arena
Be careful what you say regarding satan...for not even the Angel that was wrestling with lucifer over the body of Moses brought railing accusations against him...

Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
OK! That's your hypothesis. What happens now is that the hypothesis must be tested. Off you go.
Yes, that idea should be examined, but it was necessarily brief and lacked a lot of detail. So much so that it may not yet be ready for "testing" except on the philosophical level.

The question is simple: Is it possible?

Quote:
..but we are all apes. We are primates, as are apes.
We are all apes, or we are like apes? Physically, there are many similarities (though we are not identical). It seems to me that the chief difference lies in the spiritual question of whether or not life goes on after physical death and that's the point at which humans diverge from apes.

There's an almost uniformly held belief, across cultures and religions, that man does enter into some kind of afterlife, but few (If any) believe that's true of all animals. As I understand Hindu, even they don't believe all animals have souls, but only those who are reanimated by past humans.

The point is that while we can't prove the existance of some kind of soul, it may be the only thing standing between reconciling the Biblical creation story and science, at least so far as human beings go.

Is that a divide which we cannot cross? Why?

[/quote]

Old 05-05-2011, 05:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Yes, that idea should be examined, but it was necessarily brief and lacked a lot of detail. So much so that it may not yet be ready for "testing" except on the philosophical level.

The question is simple: Is it possible?
It's also 'possible' that it's the work of the magic pixies that sprinkled pink pixie dust around. Where do you draw the line?

Quote:
We are all apes, or we are like apes?
We are of the ape family, which makes us apes. There are some striking differences between the great apes and humans in mental abilities for sure - but we have basically the same arrangement of internal organs and bones. We share several important blood types. We also get many of the same diseases.

Quote:
Physically, there are many similarities (though we are not identical).
The physical make-up is, to all intents and purposes, identical. There are some obvious 'evolutionary' differences like the length of our arms and the way we walk but I'm sure I don't need to explain how those came about.

Quote:
It seems to me that the chief difference lies in the spiritual question of whether or not life goes on after physical death and that's the point at which humans diverge from apes.
They only diverge if there is proof of 'spirituality' or proof that our lives go on after death and the lives of animals don't... and we don't have such proof.

So where do you stand on the OP....that the Universe is only 6300 years old?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It's also 'possible' that it's the work of the magic pixies that sprinkled pink pixie dust around. Where do you draw the line?

We are of the ape family, which makes us apes. There are some striking differences between the great apes and humans in mental abilities for sure - but we have basically the same arrangement of internal organs and bones. We share several important blood types. We also get many of the same diseases.

The physical make-up is, to all intents and purposes, identical. There are some obvious 'evolutionary' differences like the length of our arms and the way we walk but I'm sure I don't need to explain how those came about.

They only diverge if there is proof of 'spirituality' or proof that our lives go on after death and the lives of animals don't... and we don't have such proof.

So where do you stand on the OP....that the Universe is only 6300 years old?

No, I think a 6300 year old universe is foolishness. The scientific evidence, not to mention the Biblical evidence once one accepts that the creation story as allegory, is overwhelming.

I've always thought that making the case for a young universe, in complete denial of the evidence otherwise, is a case of trying to make the facts fit the pre-conception. If you begin with the belief that every, single, solitary word in the Bible is to be taken literally, you have no choice but to invent ways to reconcile science with what you believe. Unfortunately, there isn't any other way to do that in this case than to simply deny science altogether. That not only doesn't prove your case, it makes it easy to ignore your position because it's so patently ridiculous and absolutely precludes any examination of ALL the evidence to see if maybe we're really not that far apart.

And, there's this: The 6300 year old universe is a core component of the Creationism curriculum which many on the right, politically, would force into our schools. Creationism isn't the same thing as believing in creation and my feelings are that creationism is a political construct, one not based either upon the Bible or science, but based upon the objective of rallying the masses of believers to vote for a certain party's candidates (GOP). It's neither science, history nor faith-based. It's a tool of manipulation and should be fought at every turn.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
Evolution is nonscientific religious lie. All that believe in it haven't scratched the surface of truth. Keep digging. We've all been fed a lie by the powers of this world, but you have search for these answers to find this out for yourself.

The greatest barrier of truth is assuming you already have it.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
No, I think a 6300 year old universe is foolishness. The scientific evidence, not to mention the Biblical evidence once one accepts that the creation story as allegory, is overwhelming.

I've always thought that making the case for a young universe, in complete denial of the evidence otherwise, is a case of trying to make the facts fit the pre-conception. If you begin with the belief that every, single, solitary word in the Bible is to be taken literally, you have no choice but to invent ways to reconcile science with what you believe. Unfortunately, there isn't any other way to do that in this case than to simply deny science altogether. That not only doesn't prove your case, it makes it easy to ignore your position because it's so patently ridiculous and absolutely precludes any examination of ALL the evidence to see if maybe we're really not that far apart.

And, there's this: The 6300 year old universe is a core component of the Creationism curriculum which many on the right, politically, would force into our schools. Creationism isn't the same thing as believing in creation and my feelings are that creationism is a political construct, one not based either upon the Bible or science, but based upon the objective of rallying the masses of believers to vote for a certain party's candidates (GOP). It's neither science, history nor faith-based. It's a tool of manipulation and should be fought at every turn.

Maybe I oughta back up here for just a second and rephrase something:

I think the IDEA of a 6300 year old universe is foolishness.

After all, I COULD be wrong and I'd hate find myself in the position of saying anything God did is foolishness.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:

Wise words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Evolution is nonscientific religious lie. All that believe in it haven't scratched the surface of truth. Keep digging.
OK, so tell us why, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, why you think that the theory of evolution is wrong. Take say, three components of the theory and tell us why they are wrong IN YOUR OWN WORDS...no copy and paste from apologist web-sites mind. Show us how much you actually now about what you are dismissing.

Quote:
The greatest barrier of truth is assuming you already have it.
Oh the irony!!!

Quote:
Maybe I oughta back up here for just a second and rephrase something:

I think the IDEA of a 6300 year old universe is foolishness.

After all, I COULD be wrong and I'd hate find myself in the position of saying anything God did is foolishness.
Hedging your bets huh? I understand my brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity