Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times

Advertisements

I thnik we rejoice in the death of evil.Its what he was not the man himself.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM

63,565 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think we rejoice in the death of evil.Its what he was not the man himself.
Amen!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:14 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,354,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
This thread makes me wonder - would the celebrations have been so jubilant if he had been captured alive? I don't think so. I'm not sure what to make of that.
I fear there would have been a "feeding frenzy."

Here's an interesting perspective on the whole thing (and one worth considering seriously, imo)..:

Chris Hedges: Chris Hedges Speaks on Osama bin Laden’s Death - Truthdig

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times
Personally I do not think it is right to celebrate his death in the way I have seen some do in some sick party like attitude...

I am thankful he is not able to inflict death and pain on anyone else as he has done not only at the twin towers but all over the world..I will not forget the families whose lives changed forever because of the insanity of one man.

There are many others who will carry on the legacy of evilness that he did so well..and hopefully we can find them and eliminate them sooner.

I just cannot imagine this present world where many just turn the other cheek..We would have been non existent by now.. I believe it will take the hand of God to bring about that personality change in all of us., and He will in due time.

As a believer my spirit is perplexed right now over what I see and hear from other believers, even though I understand that we are all made wondrously different from each other in the way we see things both spiritually and in the flesh about these things.
But it kinda hurts to hear some of my own very religious family say they want to see the pictures of him dead or that he should have been drug through the streets..That does not bring one victim back to us. Moreover ,imo, it shows a bit of our own evilness.

I am glad they buried him at sea with no fanfare and no marker so no monuments could be constructed to honor him..

As one poster said we can "rejoice in the death of evilness", and that is what I rejoice in at the moment.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:20 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,329,012 times
Amen, Miss Blue.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,354,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Personally I do not think it is right to celebrate his death in the way I have seen some do in some sick party like attitude...

I am thankful he is not able to inflict death and pain on anyone else as he has done not only at the twin towers but all over the world..I will not forget the families whose lives changed forever because of the insanity of one man.

There are many others who will carry on the legacy of evilness that he did so well..and hopefully we can find them and eliminate them sooner.

I just cannot imagine this present world where many just turn the other cheek..We would have been non existent by now.. I believe it will take the hand of God to bring about that personality change in all of us., and He will in due time.

As a believer my spirit is perplexed right now over what I see and hear from other believers, even though I understand that we are all made wondrously different from each other in the way we see things both spiritually and in the flesh about these things.
But it kinda hurts to hear some of my own very religious family say they want to see the pictures of him dead or that he should have been drug through the streets..That does not bring one victim back to us. Moreover ,imo, it shows a bit of our own evilness.

I am glad they buried him at sea with no fanfare and no marker so no monuments could be constructed to honor him..
That is what must be told to the people in order to convince young people to go and die in war. But it is not true. There are no "boogeymen."

Bin laden and the entire conflict (which Obama has declared is not over yet.. it will continue ) is a dirty laundry conflict, and the masses are caught in the crossfire.

I feel sad for the 3,000 people who died on Sept 11 2001.
And I feel sad for the 14,000-34,000 Afghan civilians that have died so far in this terrible war.

Americans seem to forget that other peoples can cry, feel pain and suffering, and mourn their loved ones. It's almost as though all non-Americans are viewed as "less than human."

But they hurt and cry just like us. When will we understand that??

Are those 14,000-34,000 civilian deaths "justified?" Is that what "vengeance" is??!?

Peace,
brian

Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
This is an excellent point, Miss Blue . . . any permanent marker would have been a vehicle to inspire more evil and cause further grief to his victims.
Quote:
As one poster said we can "rejoice in the death of evilness", and that is what I rejoice in at the moment.
Amen! The death of Evil in this world is a cause for rejoicing.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
That is what must be told to the people in order to convince young people to go and die in war. But it is not true. There are no "boogeymen."
This is a lie, brian . . . there most certainly are . . . and they come in all shapes, sizes and degrees of evil intent.
Quote:
Bin laden and the entire conflict (which Obama has declared is not over yet.. it will continue ) is a dirty laundry conflict, and the masses are caught in the crossfire.
With the exception of your judgmental "dirty laundry" snark . . . this is obvious and just happens to be part and parcel of the reality we must deal with in this world.
Quote:
I feel sad for the 3,000 people who died on Sept 11 2001.
And I feel sad for the 14,000-34,000 Afghan civilians that have died so far in this terrible war.
So do all decent human beings, brian . . . you are not special.
Quote:
Americans seem to forget that other peoples can cry, feel pain and suffering, and mourn their loved ones. It's almost as though all non-Americans are viewed as "less than human."
But they hurt and cry just like us. When will we understand that??

Are those 14,000-34,000 civilian deaths "justified?" Is that what "vengeance" is??!?
Moderator cut: deleted Americans are people like any others and they can understand the very same things you do. We are not divided on the compassion side, brian. The issues that divide us are the perceived (and practical) methods available to us mere mortals to minimize the evil. It is always disappointing to encounter any Christian who is so bigoted. You are the one attributing the motives to vengeance, brian.
Peace, Mystic

Last edited by june 7th; 05-04-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 01:10 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,740,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
This question has been on my mind today. My initial reaction to the cheering in the streets was a feeling of embarrassment.

Is it morally right to celebrate bin Laden's death?
If God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, then why in Gods name should Christians?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
If God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, then why in Gods name should Christians?
It is the removal of evil from among us that provokes the reaction, Iron . . . not the death of the particular person. Sending evil away from the earth and into the hands of our loving God is not a sad event for a Christian . . . don't we all look forward to going there ourselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.