Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:53 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking at different churches in my area to join. One of the things that really concerns me is the lack of education that some Pastors have. Some of the Pastors around here have just formed their own churches with just a few courses in theological studies, not a formal education. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
Well, some really intelligent people don't have a great deal of higher education and some real 'dolts' somehow managed to get a degree.

When looking for a doctor his education would be pretty important to me.With a pastor if he knew 'the material' and could present it in a way that kept most of the place awake it wouldn't be a big deal for me.If its a big deal for you than I guess you are free to find one with an educational attainment level that you are comfortable with.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,369 times
What matters more is how well the leaders know God, not their theological education.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
What matters more is how well the leaders know God, not their theological education.
I agree with you. If they are truly men of God, then God, through the Holy Spirit, will give him the insight, the ability to cut straight the word of God without having to have any formal education. Now I do believe that formal education does aid a pastor in his studies, but not a requirement.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
I believe if God calls u HE qualifies u. Now all that being said one should be prepared for the calling. I mean Jesus was educated in the temple... If u are a pastor u should be learned enough to teach and above all spiritually maturity...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I agree with you. If they are truly men of God, then God, through the Holy Spirit, will give him the insight, the ability to cut straight the word of God without having to have any formal education. Now I do believe that formal education does aid a pastor in his studies, but not a requirement.
I agree with that.I've seen some very God-annointed pastors that have little to no formal education but they know and live the word of God and can teach and preach it very well.so don't worry about their lack of education..it doesn't mean they don't 'get it'.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:13 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Hi, I am looking at different churches in my area to join. One of the things that really concerns me is the lack of education that some Pastors have. Some of the Pastors around here have just formed their own churches with just a few courses in theological studies, not a formal education. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.
Jesus Christ's Apostles had no formal religious training. Of course, they were taught by the Master himself. A degree from a theological seminary or divinity college may give a pastor the "book knowledge" he needs, but the authority he needs must come from God Himself. It can't be earned.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
If you don't undertake any theological education, how do you know what the Bible actually says?

Just because someone knows God, doesn't mean they know "God" - in reality it could be they only know their ego and what they want to believe God says to them.

A friend (Orthodox Priest) told a group of people who wanted to lead a church with a someone who had zero theological/divinity training as a group coming together in nothing but "pooled ignorance". I could not agree with him more.

If you don't need any training to be a Pastor, does that mean I can be an engineer without any training? You study for a reason.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If you don't undertake any theological education, how do you know what the Bible actually says?

Just because someone knows God, doesn't mean they know "God" - in reality it could be they only know their ego and what they want to believe God says to them.

A friend (Orthodox Priest) told a group of people who wanted to lead a church with a someone who had zero theological/divinity training as a group coming together in nothing but "pooled ignorance". I could not agree with him more.

If you don't need any training to be a Pastor, does that mean I can be an engineer without any training? You study for a reason.
Studying the scriptures doesn't necessarily require a formal education. In my Church, lay members give the sermons every week. I know... that sounds really crazy to most people, but when you start learning to explain the scriptures to people as a child, by the time you're an adult, you know them backwards and forwards. I could post sermons by my Church's leadership that are every bit as knowledgable as those by people who have degrees in theology.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Studying the scriptures doesn't necessarily require a formal education. In my Church, lay members give the sermons every week. I know... that sounds really crazy to most people, but when you start learning to explain the scriptures to people as a child, by the time you're an adult, you know them backwards and forwards. I could post sermons by my Church's leadership that are every bit as knowledgable as those by people who have degrees in theology.
I agree. I have heard 12 year olds give talks that were filled with the Spirit. I don't think anyone at my church has a theological degree, yet I still learn a great deal from them.

I think all of that speaking might be the secret to the amount of LDS politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity