U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2007, 02:02 AM
 
Location: Small Town USA
1,376 posts, read 1,378,391 times
Reputation: 556
GenesisNemesis

Your right, I took a PBT Proud Bible Thumper to mean someone who has a bible in their hands everyday.

As far as you asking why I would impose my beliefs on another . . . I don't. My very much loved husband is agnostic. Do we debate, share, talk, YES . . . but I respect his views and he respects mine, and we agree now to disagree. Depending on our moods, we may have an "elevated" conversation. The only thing he can say that he see's a change in me since that night he came home after I had my meltdown in my room.

So I am a PBR, Proud Bible Reader, instead of a PBT.


What do you mean about "just because it worked for you"? Not sure what you are talking about when you say "worked for you". If you want me to speak to that, please explain what you mean by "worked for you">

Yes, there are many other religions, and everyone has and is entitled to their own opinions. I totally agree with you, and that is why I am still happily married.

BUT, this is my life, and this is what happened . . .


I am not asking you to believe what I shared . . .

I am not asking you to believe in God/Jesus . . .

BUT more importantly, why does it inspire me to talk about (not to impose my beliefs, because I don't impose my beliefs on anyone) . . . I am very inspired to talk about what happened to me, and how I became a Christian, just because I went through so much, and felt so sick for so long, and I didn't handle the diagnosis or prognosis well, and even with it still looming, I have found peace, something I was searching for in myself, with my business, in my kids and never really found true peace until that day in my bedroom. What can I say, to me that is inspiring . . . and we were asked to share this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 PM
 
5 posts, read 20,757 times
Reputation: 10
Islam Christian Preachers From Texas Become Muslim - Yusuf Estes

you can visite this............
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 04:29 PM
 
554 posts, read 1,514,523 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisNemesis View Post
That was emotional and all, but why does it inspire you to impose your beliefs on others by being a "Proud Bible Thumper"? Just because it may have worked for you (and I have no reason to believe your claims), that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. That's why there's different religions, and different opinions.
It would be impossible for a Christian to not care about the non-Chrisitan because that is the work that God puts in a Christian's heart. Maybe not all Chrisitians are "Bible Thumpers", but we are convinced what the Bible says about those who reject the Gospel of Christ is true. So pardon us for praying for you and all those who reject God. There is so much about the Christian faith that is hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it.
So why am I a Christian? I was brought up in a Christian home, but taught that I must be born again. I made this choice as a child, on my own. If I was just taught to fear God and I would be punished if I didn't obey certain rules, I have had plenty of time in my adult life to walk away from it all and live as I please. However, even as a child I prayed and saw my prayers answered. That is what convinced me, not the preaching. I know God answers my prayers and I honestly don't see anything else the world can offer that brings the peace I have. The faith I have is powerful, not just my conscious of this is good and that is bad, but a force at work, and I know my answered prayers are not random. If your prayers have never been answered, I can promise you that faith in God is the one requirement for all His blessings on this earth, including answered prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 PM
 
12,382 posts, read 14,676,160 times
Reputation: 14578
Lifesigns, that was a wonderful testimony on why you are a christian. What an awesome leap of faith. Thank you. The Lord works in mysterious ways indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
 
Location: conover nc
1,131 posts, read 1,490,094 times
Reputation: 2650
I am a christian because He shed his blood for me. He gave his life for me. Me!! who am I that the Son of God would die for? I don't understand it , I don't deserve it. But He did it. and I'm so thankful that He did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
 
264 posts, read 452,008 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Sometimes, there are things in life that you just KNOW IN YOUR HEART are right, that's WHY I am a Christian and not any other religion.
I can't help noticing that the basis of your belief is the same as the one that the Mormons have for their faith. Since all it consists of is a subjective feeling that a particular belief is the right one, it could form the basis of a faith in any religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
 
Location: All around the world.....
2,895 posts, read 5,404,602 times
Reputation: 988
Because I'm fortunate enough to have come to the end of my past wicked self
to see the light,before it was too late. Seeing this light through the Love of Jesus Christ the only true wise God..

Be Glory, Power, Dominion both Now and Forever..
One thing I like is that a true believer in Christ have so much genuine love for
everyone and everything, And most non-believers post like they hate anything that
smells love!!
You've got to pray for them, can't they see God's grace and Mercy??
Even physically blind people can see better than this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 AM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,883,670 times
Reputation: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
One thing I like is that a true believer in Christ have so much genuine love for
everyone and everything, And most non-believers post like they hate anything that
smells love!!
Yet another spot-on post.
I see no contradictions to this anywhere on this board.
One thing you got wrong, though: I'm non-believer and I don't mind the way love smells at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
320 posts, read 20,977 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuco View Post
This question was what caused me to abandon Christianity, because the only answer I had was "because that's all I've been taught."

I'm interested to see what some of you people who truly believe have as an answer. I assume that at some point you asked yourself this, but I guess it's possible to be hardcore Christian your entire life without ever having a second-thought.

Anyway I just want to know if anybody has a logical explanation for why you are a Christian. Basically the question boils down to "What about Christianity makes you think it is the true faith, as opposed to any of the other religions?"
I don't just believe "because I was taught." I believe because Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Do Christians really need to explain that in any other way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Texas
320 posts, read 20,977 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
I can't help noticing that the basis of your belief is the same as the one that the Mormons have for their faith. Since all it consists of is a subjective feeling that a particular belief is the right one, it could form the basis of a faith in any religion.
I don't think anyone will argue that, but I have to ask, what is the purpose of making that kind of comment to a believer in Christ? Are you hoping they will "realize" they are believing in a "proofless" deity, thus turning them over to some new age belief? I thought only religion taught others to convert the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top