Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,211 times

Advertisements

I believe in God, either he is loving with requirements I can meet or there is no point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 AM

323 posts, read 502,876 times
Likely because I have been so inspired by Christian individuals, both fictional and non-fictional. Jean Valjean first and foremost, perhaps. Bless Victor Hugo.

All my greatest heroes have been Christians. I am also greatly inspired by Christian art; music, paintings, poetry, etc. It never fails to lift my spirits. I have never claimed that Christianity and the Bible is 100 % objectively correct, though almost all religions consider Jesus a great prophet, so you really can't go wrong, morally, if you try to live by his teachings. I also recognize that the best and most moral country in human history was produced by a Christian culture. As a very politically committed conservative libertarian, I recognize that Christianity and liberty goes hand-in-hand; a society tends to be free to the degree that the citizens are moral and religious.

One of the other factors, I must admit, is the intense loathing and intolerance which the Left has for Christianity. Even if I didn't believe in God I might pretend to be a Christian, out of spite for them.

Last edited by ErikMartinsen; 08-08-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:24 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuco View Post
This question was what caused me to abandon Christianity, because the only answer I had was "because that's all I've been taught."

I'm interested to see what some of you people who truly believe have as an answer. I assume that at some point you asked yourself this, but I guess it's possible to be hardcore Christian your entire life without ever having a second-thought.

Anyway I just want to know if anybody has a logical explanation for why you are a Christian. Basically the question boils down to "What about Christianity makes you think it is the true faith, as opposed to any of the other religions?"
Because the blind see, the deaf hear and the lamb walk; all other death diseases are healed. When I saw these things, I knew that Jesus was real.

Luke 7
[21] And in that same hour he [Jesus] cured many of their infirmities and plagues, and of evil spirits; and unto many that were blind he gave sight.
[22] Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John [the Baptist] what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.
[23] And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

The real Church of Jesus Christ has these things happening. Many are turned from the powers of darkness to righteousness when witnessing such mighty miracles from our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

John 14
[12] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I support the Christian Way of life, not out of any deep belief or conviction on my part, but simply because I think our society needs a brake on it's behavior. The Churches provide an ethical standard by which people can live in peace and harmony in this world.
So, in your estimation, only believing in an imaginary diety allows people to live in peace and harmony in this world? I've been a participant in many churches over the years and I'm sorry but they are no more ethical than anyone else in this world...they may put on a good religious show for the most part...but they are no different than anyone else and have the same exact attitudes and faults of everyone else in this world.

Quote:
What would your city be without the Churches? Would it be better? Would a lot of the help for the homeless, the afterschool programs, and other programs dry up? Would all the good things done by Churches to help the less fortunate among us be better done by the Federal Government?
It is clear that you are under the misconception that only "churches" help people in their community...that is very sad. There are plenty on non-believing people I know who do wonderful things for their community...all of their support goes directly to helping the community and not to fancy church buildings, expensive sound systems and church social functions. Somehow you conclude that if there were no churches nothing would get done for the less fortunate except by the government...this is not only a false statement but it's particularly offensive to me as I am sure it is to many others.

Quote:
So, that's why I am a Christian. My time and money go to do something for my fellow man and woman. I could have "faith" in heaven or hell or believe in the Flood and all the other stuff, but it wouldn't mean a thing to anyone else.

And Yes, I know that faith without works is dead. But that's my problem, for now, I am a Christian and I help my Church do good things.
Good for you...I'm glad that is working for you. I prefer to actually work with the less fortunate and show them how to NOT BE less fortunate. I prefer to actually get my hands dirty and show them how they can better themselves and this does not include praying to and relying on an imaginary diety to do it for them...but showing them that they are responsible for their own destiny and giving them the tools they need to make their lives better.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
Quote:
This question was what caused me to abandon Christianity, because the only answer I had was "because that's all I've been taught."

I'm interested to see what some of you people who truly believe have as an answer. I assume that at some point you asked yourself this, but I guess it's possible to be hardcore Christian your entire life without ever having a second-thought.

Anyway I just want to know if anybody has a logical explanation for why you are a Christian. Basically the question boils down to "What about Christianity makes you think it is the true faith, as opposed to any of the other religions?"
Anybody notice this is a resurrected thread from 3 years ago and the OP never came back? Just sayin'.......I hate old threads but I'll play along for the newbie who resurrected it. I do enjoy seeing old posters posts who don't post anymore like the ones at the beginning at the thread.

I am a Christian because I was raised that way. Plain and simple. I don't know if I would be one if I hadn't been taught to be one. With that said, I'm glad I WAS taught to be one because I found out that God and Jesus Christ are real and worthy of worship. In my heart, which I know is subjective and can only be spiritual knowledge gained from personal experience, is where it's at. I know that I know that I know. That I know.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,300 times
Quote:

Christianity is the only religion that makes sense. Further, while being a Christian I have met angels, gone to heaven, seen Jesus, had dreams and visions and many other things.

I am very excited for the future, because I know that Jesus Christ is going to return. There are only a few prophesies that I see that need to be fullfilled. Almost all the prophesies have been fulfilled, so we are coming to the end of this age to begin the new.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
I have no quarrels with the tenets of other religions, but I don't have anywhere near me to study from other believers in those faiths.

For me, it doesn't cost me anything to profess a belief...so why not?

Old 10-03-2010, 06:49 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
I am not a Christian.

I was raised in a Baptist (dysfunctional) family. I married into a Chruch of Christ (very dysfunctional) Family. Some of the things I witnessed from self proclaimed "Christians" along the way was too appaling to even mention here. I learned before I left that it is a religion of hateful people. And I did not want to be like the people I saw there.

So I quit. I resigned. Abdicated. Left. Walked away. And I have never been happier. Christianity Never did anything good for me, but I was witness to families and lives destroyed in it's name and under it's banners. People often say "Oh Jesus has done so much for me" Well, not for me. And certainly NOT his followers. Along the way, I have met New Agers, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and even Mormons who did not have anything close to the negativity that I experienced growing up.
Some of those people in those movements were quite posivitve, and placed me onto a more mystical search, one that showed me that Christianity does not have the answers to life, or even the right questions.
In short, Christianity does not work for me. I am glad that there are people out there who believe that it works for them, and there may well be loving supportive congregations of Christians , but I have yet to find them.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
I am a Christian because . . . once the existence of God was made real to me in deep meditation (my epiphany) . . . belief was automatic ("believe on") and unavoidable. I spent the next several decades trying to explain and understand it intellectually ("believe in") . . . using the physical sciences, hermeneutics of scriptures (the entire "spiritual fossil record" of legends,myths, etc.), psychology, philosophy, and mysticism, etc. It all led me to Jesus Christ as the epitome of the spiritual template . . . and the likeliest source of the consciousness, love and acceptance that I encountered in deep meditation. I have since confirmed it many times to a certainty (for ME!).

Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,921 times
Default hi there

I seek to answering your question, but i would first like to ask you do you believe in the bible and what is in it ? also what your General opinion about the bible and the Word of God ?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity