Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The gospel is GOOD news and easy to follow.
Agree 11 84.62%
Disagree 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
wow. That was powerful stuff, friend.

That's all I can think to say right now.... just very, very powerful stuff.

peace.. and so glad to see you.
sparrow
Thank you, sparrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Excellant post!! Organized religions make it so hard on people yet if they just realize that they are Love and let God take care of the rest, life would be so much more enjoyable. All it takes is to just BE Love.
Feeling loved has been very difficult for me, as I suppose it has been for a lot of people, but you definitely have to know a deep spiritual love in order to pass it unconditionally to other humans. Maybe this is why there is so little love on this planet. Religion misses the boat on so many levels. We have millions of people who speak of God but still don't know him, thus they interpret everything they read in the Bible and see with their eyes through the pagan gods of doom, gloom, and in the end, hopelessness for most of the human race.

It seems to me that Christians, like the Hebrews/Jews in the OT, still don't know God (ah, no room to boast). The Empire and its religion did a number on those looking for unconditional love (God).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Unconditional love should be the simplest attribute depicting the Creator that could easily be understood and accepted in its totality...why it isn't so boggles the mind...

Could it be that since the beginning of time, collective humanity has always aimed for the aggrandizement attributed to self...???

Just a thought!
And a great thought at that, ans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Let me echo the kudos for a superb post, herefornow. So glad to see you posting.
In Christ's love,
Mystic
Thank you, Mystic, and thank you for your persistence on these forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 03:22 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Feeling loved has been very difficult for me, as I suppose it has been for a lot of people, but you definitely have to know a deep spiritual love in order to pass it unconditionally to other humans. Maybe this is why there is so little love on this planet. Religion misses the boat on so many levels. We have millions of people who speak of God but still don't know him, thus they interpret everything they read in the Bible and see with their eyes through the pagan gods of doom, gloom, and in the end, hopelessness for most of the human race.
People look at the words that are reiterated instead of doing what the words are telling them. It doesn't sink in if the action isn't used. It took me quite a long time to overcome what my own parents did to me and after I changed my thought pattern to one of positiveness, I knew I was a child of God's and I am to serve others. Not in the servant way but in a loving way. I'm very pleaed with who I became and I often look back to see how far I've come. It was a very scenic route.

Fear keeps people from expanding their own thoughts. They are afraid to live in the moment, to contradict something that just doesn't feel right. Most of them know without a doubt that what the OT depicts as an angry God are not at all love but yet they must believe it is the word of God for fear of rejection. Rejection from family, friends or even their group at church. When Jesus taught, He had people ask Him questions all the time even when they went against what He taught. He patiently answered them with and through Love. If churches were the same way and answered questions even if they didn't agree with the religion, those in church may learn that none of us are perfect and it's something we strive to do while falling off the bike along the way.

Life is supposed to fun and lived. How can one live if they are afraid to do anything except regurgitate fear.

What I did to overcome and become a Loving child of God was to do what Jesus asked. I prayed for Divine Love. It changed me from the inside and is still changing me and will always change me until I am At-One with God. This is the substance of God and as I am filled with more and more of this Love, it's easier and easier everyday to love others without condition. I can literly be in a room with 100 or more people and send Love to each one with no problems. I even did it at a concert once to all that were there. I see the Love inside each one and I just glow with love for them all. Try it sometime and see how it makes you feel. It's an awesome feeling!

Last edited by Reverend1111; 05-22-2011 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-22-2011, 12:09 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
People look at the words that are reiterated instead of doing what the words are telling them. It doesn't sink in if the action isn't used. It took me quite a long time to overcome what my own parents did to me and after I changed my thought pattern to one of positiveness, I knew I was a child of God's and I am to serve others. Not in the servant way but in a loving way. I'm very pleaed with who I became and I often look back to see how far I've come. It was a very scenic route.

Fear keeps people from expanding their own thoughts. They are afraid to live in the moment, to contradict something that just doesn't feel right. Most of them know without a doubt that what the OT depicts as an angry God are not at all love but yet they must believe it is the word of God for fear of rejection. Rejection from family, friends or even their group at church. When Jesus taught, He had people ask Him questions all the time even when they went against what He taught. He patiently answered them with and through Love. If churches were the same way and answered questions even if they didn't agree with the religion, those in church may learn that none of us are perfect and it's something we strive to do while falling off the bike along the way.

Life is supposed to fun and lived. How can one live if they are afraid to do anything except regurgitate fear.

What I did to overcome and become a Loving child of God was to do what Jesus asked. I prayed for Divine Love. It changed me from the inside and is still changing me and will always change me until I am At-One with God. This is the substance of God and as I am filled with more and more of this Love, it's easier and easier everyday to love others without condition. I can literly be in a room with 100 or more people and send Love to each one with no problems. I even did it at a concert once to all that were there. I see the Love inside each one and I just glow with love for them all. Try it sometime and see how it makes you feel. It's an awesome feeling!
Wonderful post, Reverend! Thanks!

I would add that fear holds us back, but we have to acknowledge the fear in order to overcome it. I used to be afraid of everything, well nearly everything anyway. Then I found true love and it really did cast out all fear. I now focus on that love in times of struggle and know that I need not fear.

I refuse to give up my position of love for the position of fear.

It has changed my life...slowly but surely I am finding the God-like part of me is growing every day I practice loving others.

Life is meant to be fun and fulfilling! Love is the key ingredient...and boy is it contagious. Pay it forward as the rewards are awesome.

Last edited by katjonjj; 05-22-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Added something...

Old 05-22-2011, 12:53 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

I would add that fear holds us back, but we have to acknowledge the fear in order to overcome it. I used to be afraid of everything, well nearly everything anyway. Then I found true love and it really did cast out all fear. I now focus on that love in times of struggle and know that I need not fear.

It has changed my life...slowly but surely I am finding the God-like part of me is growing every day I practice loving others.

Life is meant to be fun and fulfilling! Love is the key ingredient...and boy is it contagious. Pay it forward as the rewards are awesome.
Wonderful posts and witness from some of my favorite "Christians" . . . (whether they know it or not!).

Old 05-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Thank you!

One of my favorite quotes is "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

While growing up, I was very shy and withdrawn. My sisters used to tease me about not talking. My fear was that I may say something that was stupid or I would be inferior to others because I thought I wasn't as good as other people. Let me tell ya, now you can't shut me up and I ask so many questions of things that I do get annoying at times. But I had to overcome that and as I grew older, it became easier. Plus, I've always had jobs where I would have to talk alot or train others to do some things.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wonderful posts and witness from some of my favorite "Christians" . . . (whether they know it or not!).
Thanks Mystic! Your quite the Christian as well!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:17 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
Quote:

I have felt a weird sort of agape love for all, and it really is a strange and powerful feeling, but it usually disappears when I'm exhausted, in pain, recalling bad memories, or reading the news......(I should really stop reading the news).

Love is much better than fear. I'm glad you don't live in fear anymore and have found a way out of the pain and confusion.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
I have felt a weird sort of agape love for all, and it really is a strange and powerful feeling, but it usually disappears when I'm exhausted, in pain, recalling bad memories, or reading the news......(I should really stop reading the news).

Love is much better than fear. I'm glad you don't live in fear anymore and have found a way out of the pain and confusion.
I've come to realize that it's your thought that prompt your feelings. Fortunately, you brain can be re-trained to watch for those "bad" thoughts and eliminate them. I actually picture the thought blowing up... We have tens of thousands of thought every day... I eliminate thousands daily that don't meet up to my "good thought" standards. This has enabled me to take control of my own happiness.

I told my dad (a known cynic) about this method I am employing. He said I was insane To think that while my house burned down (theoretically) I could stand there watching it burn and still be happy because it would be fake. I asked him, "would it matter?" after a few minutes of faking happiness and THINKING about happiness, I'd be happy... That I know from experience.

As I go on and on and on.... Point being that if it is hard to love and feel loved, then you are likely trying to control something beyond your control. BUT everyone can control their own thoughts.... Right?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:

Try sending love to the bad memories. They are yours to carry and reconcile with so what better way than to love them away. It really works. How I did mine was I took one and concentrated on it and sent love to heal it away. To know that where I am is better than where i was. It is what made me who I am today and be happy that you had the experience so that the lesson can be returned to another to help heal them from the same bad memory. Do that with them all and eventually they will disappear and then the next time you recall that memory, it will be like looking apiture. It's still there but no emotion will be attached.

I don't watch the news so I can't help you there.

The next time you are in pain, send all of your love to that area and let the love heal it. It's how Jesus healed. Love is the most powerful substance, better than any medicine. Imagine that the pain is not real and try to "see" it in your body. It's just there to say "this needs love and attention". Pain isn't ours and we weren't meant to feel pain so if you refuse to allow it to hurt, it won't hurt. Train your brain to know it isn't you. It will take time but you'll get there. Sometimes, I feel no pain at all and others, only slightly. IT's a work in progress but it can be done. The worst pain I can't do is a migrain. I lose all concentration and can't focus. I try though with each one and it gets better but it's very hard.

Don't try healing when your exhausted. Your body jsut wants to rest. Put your feet up and have a beer!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I've come to realize that it's your thought that prompt your feelings. Fortunately, you brain can be re-trained to watch for those "bad" thoughts and eliminate them. I actually picture the thought blowing up... We have tens of thousands of thought every day... I eliminate thousands daily that don't meet up to my "good thought" standards. This has enabled me to take control of my own happiness.

I told my dad (a known cynic) about this method I am employing. He said I was insane To think that while my house burned down (theoretically) I could stand there watching it burn and still be happy because it would be fake. I asked him, "would it matter?" after a few minutes of faking happiness and THINKING about happiness, I'd be happy... That I know from experience.

As I go on and on and on.... Point being that if it is hard to love and feel loved, then you are likely trying to control something beyond your control. BUT everyone can control their own thoughts.... Right?
Exactly. My dad used to tell us that we would never amount to anything and we would never be good enough. After years of being told that, you tend to really believe it. It took me quite a few years to overcome it and retrain my thoughts from it. I spent years even forgiving my father and the same to teach him to forgive himself. He's in a better place and is becoming a more loving person. I honestly can't wait to see him in the spirit world because I truely want to see how he's progressed in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity