Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 PM

33,216 posts, read 26,399,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Christian's do have the right to vote their conscience, just as everyone else does, and the right to push for laws they'd like to see enacted, just as everyone else does. However, when the majority opposes those prospective laws, the Christian is duty bound and Biblically bound to honor the existing law of the land. It's called rendering unto Ceasar.

What we may NOT do is force our standards onto an unwilling public. That's tyranny.

In any case, I have yet to see anyone make a legitimate case that homosexuality, or same sex marriage, is a threat to the nation.
Yes, the Christian has a duty to his country. He should pay his income taxes, he should perform jury duty, serve in the military, vote, obey the laws, etc...

But when there is a conflict between man and God, the Christian has the duty to obey God rather than men. Acts 5:27 'And when they had brought them, they stood them before the council. And the high priest questioned them, 28] saying, ''We gave you strict orders not to continue teaching in this name, and behold, you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us. 29] But Peter and the apostles answered and said, ''We must obey God rather than men.

You said this: ''What we may NOT do is force our standards onto an unwilling public.'' Neither does the government have a right to force immoral laws on an unwilling public. And if the public is willing to accept laws that are wrong, then it has turned away from principles which God has ordained.

The Christian has no right to incite violence against homosexuals, or to bomb abortion clinics, or to engage in environmental terrorism. Christian activism is evil. BUT!!! The Christian has a duty to stand in the truth and say this (whatever the issue is) is wrong. To point out what is right.

If the U. S. government were to pass a law imposing penalties (fines or imprisonment, or even death) for spreading the gospel, each Christian would have to make a choice between obeying the law or obeying God. I'm not going to get into whether that would ever happen in this country, I'm just using that as an example.

Same sex marriage (there is no such thing in God's eyes) is destructive to a national entity. Homosexual behavior is destructive to a nation. Though not the only cause, homosexuality was a big part of the reason that God destroyed Sodom and her sister cities.

Marriage is one of the divine institutions. Along with volition, it came into existence in the garden of Eden before the fall (Gen 2:22-25). Marriage was designed by God to be between a man and a woman. Divinely ordained, marriage is stuctured to provide the basic stability in a society. It totally rejects any concept which contributes to anarchy, such as promiscuity, homosexuality, polygamy, or excessive divorce. Marriage forms the most basic unit of society. It provides the basic framework for love between a man and a woman and produces a foundation for the divine institution of family. To legalize same sex marriage is a rejection of that which God has established for the perpetuation, protection, and orderly function of the human race.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,136,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, the Christian has a duty to his country. He should pay his income taxes, he should perform jury duty, serve in the military, vote, obey the laws, etc...

But when there is a conflict between man and God, the Christian has the duty to obey God rather than men. Acts 5:27 'And when they had brought them, they stood them before the council. And the high priest questioned them, 28] saying, ''We gave you strict orders not to continue teaching in this name, and behold, you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us. 29] But Peter and the apostles answered and said, ''We must obey God rather than men.

You said this: ''What we may NOT do is force our standards onto an unwilling public.'' Neither does the government have a right to force immoral laws on an unwilling public. And if the public is willing to accept laws that are wrong, then it has turned away from principles which God has ordained.

The Christian has no right to incite violence against homosexuals, or to bomb abortion clinics, or to engage in environmental terrorism. Christian activism is evil. BUT!!! The Christian has a duty to stand in the truth and say this (whatever the issue is) is wrong. To point out what is right.

If the U. S. government were to pass a law imposing penalties (fines or imprisonment, or even death) for spreading the gospel, each Christian would have to make a choice between obeying the law or obeying God. I'm not going to get into whether that would ever happen in this country, I'm just using that as an example.

Same sex marriage (there is no such thing in God's eyes) is destructive to a national entity. Homosexual behavior is destructive to a nation. Though not the only cause, homosexuality was a big part of the reason that God destroyed Sodom and her sister cities.

Marriage is one of the divine institutions. Along with volition, it came into existence in the garden of Eden before the fall (Gen 2:22-25). Marriage was designed by God to be between a man and a woman. Divinely ordained, marriage is stuctured to provide the basic stability in a society. It totally rejects any concept which contributes to anarchy, such as promiscuity, homosexuality, polygamy, or excessive divorce. Marriage forms the most basic unit of society. It provides the basic framework for love between a man and a woman and produces a foundation for the divine institution of family. To legalize same sex marriage is a rejection of that which God has established for the perpetuation, protection, and orderly function of the human race.
I agree totally. The Bible is above all ... it is truth.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,299,305 times
Quote:
Not this garbage again. For centuries, marriage was hardly more than a business contract. Today, there's a fifty percent chance that an American marriage will end in divorce. Yet, still, the Christian right claims that heterosexual marriages are some divine, sacred institution.

I don't see how anyone can be a social conservative when most of the issues will never affect someone personally.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,680,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I first encountered Christ in deep meditation over 40+ years ago. Consciousness to consciousness communication is direct transfer and sharing . . . not like human face to face.
OHHHHHkay.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM

9,894 posts, read 1,258,979 times
Quote:

I agree with you 100% Mike. Amen!!!!

Katie

Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,459,388 times
Quote:

Here is a news flash for you: This country is based on the Constitution not the bible. If you would prefer to live in a theocratic state I suggest you move to Iran. You'd love it there, they think just like you, and they hang homosexuals in public all the time.

I find your hiding behind a "holy book" as a means to look down on a segment of people in this country revolting. However I am aware of something that you clearly are not. In the history of our country, anytime a group of people fought for their rights, they always won. There have always been people like you, and always will be. But ultimately you end up in the trash bin of history, as the country moves forward and you are left behind with the flat earth types. A minority.

You can stomp you feet, huff and puff all you want. You can use the bible to validate treating others like second rate citizens. You can try to scare everybody and claim the gays are out to brainwash their children. But eventually, you'll be drowned out by reason, and empathy. It always win, and people like you always lose. If you don't believe me, read a history book, it's has more facts than the bible ever will.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,511,862 times
Quote:
As the United States increasingly turns away from God, the momentum of the slide into moral degeneracy and depravity increases. I came across this article about the recent annual gay youth pride day in Boston and decided to post it. This Moderator cut: deleted was funded by tax dollars. When the government promotes that which the word of God declares to be evil it invites God's judgment on the nation. I am disgusted by this flagrant disregard for morality and decency, and I hope you are too.

Excerpt:
Tables with anal sex lubricant, specialty condoms, and other paraphernalia given out to kids. Also literature on homosexual sex.

Gay Youth Pride Day in Boston

Here's another article with a video concerning a state law signed by Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2009 which calls upon all K-12 government schools to teach children as young as 5 years old to honor homosexual activist and sexual predator* Harvey Milk.

Harvey Milk Day// - savecalifornia.com
How did I guess a supposed Christian would Gay Bash and provide misinformation to demonize gay folks and blame us for the United States moral decline. I suppose those dang Gays are responsible for heterosexual divorce rates of 50% too!.

FYI.......Harvey Milk was a great man......Moderator cut: delete.
And for the record a HETEROSEXUAL man murdered Milk along with a straight mayor.....he's the evil person in your sordid agenda.

Gay Is Okay With APA (American Psychiatric Association) (http://www.soulforce.org/article/642 - broken link)

Official Statement Concerning Homosexuality from the American Psychological Association | CLGS

YouTube - ‪Milk Movie Trailer 2008 HD - Official Trailer HQ‬‏

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-24-2011 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: use report function for tos violations..thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,680,904 times
Personally i dont think theres ever going to be an ultimate answer to this question. Each person has their own ideas of how things should be. We each have free will and everyone takes advantage of it in some way.

This thread has made me remember why the golden rule of "Dont talk religion or politics at the bar" was put into place.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,136,365 times
God is not mocked. He has set up his principles and we will all have to answer to him for what we say against his creation. We did not get here on our own. The truth is that God loves all of us, but his grace will not tolerate much more. I have seen this generation deteriorate by what the social norm is. The norm today is very offensive to God. The coldness , the moral decay and the boldness of them who sin and have gained ground with many who accept sin as the norm. God is NOT MOCKED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.