U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM

4,184 posts, read 4,423,450 times

Advertisements

Wow, this thread is a little scary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,579,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Are we talking about morality? No... And unlike animals who eat their young, gays don't hurt anyone.
Many gays do hurt some - themselves & those who they have sexual relations with.
Statistics show that homosexuals have:
-higher rates of sexually transmitted disease (STDs)
-higher rates of substance abuse
-higher rates of mental illness
-Anal intercourse causes hemorrhoids, anal fissures, anorectal trauma & retained foreign bodies & creates high risk for anal cancer
-Among male homosexuals engaging in oral-to-anal contact, an extremely high rate of parasitic & other intestinal infections exists
-Homosexuality is also associated with higher mortality & shorter lives.

For more info: see Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons Vol 10 #3
http://www.jpands.org/vol10no3/lehrman.pdf

Considering that Morality is..."Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior." - awareness of where homosexual behaviors too often lead, is an issue of morality.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 PM

10,375 posts, read 3,533,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Many gays do hurt some - themselves & those who they have sexual relations with.
Statistics show that homosexuals have:
-higher rates of sexually transmitted disease (STDs)
-higher rates of substance abuse
-higher rates of mental illness
-Anal intercourse causes hemorrhoids, anal fissures, anorectal trauma & retained foreign bodies & creates high risk for anal cancer
-Among male homosexuals engaging in oral-to-anal contact, an extremely high rate of parasitic & other intestinal infections exists
-Homosexuality is also associated with higher mortality & shorter lives.

For more info: see Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons Vol 10 #3
http://www.jpands.org/vol10no3/lehrman.pdf

Considering that Morality is..."Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior." - awareness of where homosexual behaviors too often lead, is an issue of morality.
All of the above are prevelant among heterosexuals. African American women currently have the highest incident of new HIV cases. Does that mean they are bad? The higher rates of substance abuse and mental illness (which is questionable) are completely attributable to the way society treats gays. Half of all homeless teens/kids are gay. Of course they are more likely to resort to drugs. We can blame that on the hateful bigots.

Homosexuals are not more likely to die early as a population. And all your health risk assessments completely ignore the fact that more heterosexuals engage in anal sex than gays do. Should we demonize all straight people?

Fat people also have shorter lives and lower life expectancies. I guess all the obese people in the Bible belt in this country are evil and cause harm.

In summary, homosexuality does not cause harm. Promiscuity can, but that's not exclusive to gays. And numerous other unhealthy lifestyles that are most prevelant among straight people are even more harmful.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,579,066 times
Fiyero,
Of course, there are many other behaviors that present health risks.
Yet, this thread is about homosexuality.
So, let's stay on topic, shall we?

The US Center of Disease Control found that "While men who have sex with men (MSM) account for just 4 percent of the U.S. male population aged 13 and older, the rate of new HIV diagnoses among MSM in the U.S. is more than 44 times that of other men."
Also, the CDC found that the STD rate is much higher for homosexual men, than their heterosexual counterparts.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/FastFacts-MSM-FINAL508COMP.pdf (broken link)
http://www.ncfpc.org/stories/100316s1.html

Last edited by SuperSoul; 05-27-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 PM

4,617 posts, read 3,289,341 times
Quote:
Are we talking about morality? No. People are claiming it's not natural. Homosexuality is very natural since it's common in nature. And unlike animals who eat their young, gays don't hurt anyone. Bad analogy.
Umm...then don't draw from nature. Saying Homosex is cool cuz animals do it is a poor arguement in the light that animals kill their kids. A natural thing BTW in the animal world. Just sayin'. One's logic has to be consistant to be valid. Find another example to make your point. OK?

Old 05-28-2011, 01:23 AM

3,623 posts, read 2,786,488 times
why is there such a need to justify one's CHOSEN lifestyle----as to morality--that is between oneself and God(unless it intrudes on other's safety/comfort.i personally am so tired of the whining,complaining,and poor me attitude of those that have CHOSEN a non hetero lifestyle---most people prefer to accept others based on the person's character and not their sexual/emotional preferences

Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 AM

666 posts, read 258,681 times
Quote:
Romans 1 doesn't say they that. Nice butchering of the text though. Those people exchanged their normal behavior. A gay person would have nothing to exchange to become gay. Meaning, those in Romans 1 were heterosexual. You also conveniently ignore the previous verse where Paul talks about them engaging in pagan worship rituals. Once again, we're talking about temple prostitution.

You people seriously know nothing about the Bible.

And yes, you do cherry pick. Unless you stone children or believe the Earth is geocentric and flat with a solid dome sitting above it.
I am not butchering the text. However, I bet you are butchering the ancient text and using it to fit your modern concept of "homosexuality".

Quote:
Rom 1:21 (NRSV) for though they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking and their senseless minds were darkened.
They became futile; the Greek Text literally reads “they were made futile”. The literal reading implies in (Rom. 1:21) that someone made their thinking futile and someone darkened their ‘senseless’ minds. The question is who or what?
Quote:
Rom 1:22 (NRSV) Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
They became fools; the Greek Text literally reads “they were made foolish”. Again the literal reading implies in (Rom 1:22) that somebody made them foolish. I ask the same question. Who or what made them foolish?
Quote:
Rom 1:24 (KJV) Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:24 says they had “lusts of their own hearts" and through these lusts ‘god’ gave them over to dishonouring their bodies between themselves.
Quote:
Rom 1:25 (NRSV) because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
Rom. 1:25 says they changed god's truth (i.e. his word, Jn. 17:17) into a lie.
Quote:
Rom 1:26 (NRSV) For this reason God gave them up to degrading passions. Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural,
Rom 1:27 (NRSV) and in the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.
Rom. 1:26-27 says ‘god’ gave them up to degrading passions, which resulted in them committing "homosexual acts".
Quote:
Rom 1:28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind and to things that should not be done.
Rom. 1:28 says they refused to acknowledge the claims of 'god'. Therefore ‘god’ gave them a mind “void of judgment” between right and wrong.

Last edited by kids in america_; 05-28-2011 at 04:17 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 12:34 PM

16,314 posts, read 8,684,626 times
If you believe homosexuality is a choice and you believe it is a sin - then the answer is very simple - don't choose to be a homosexual. In actuality, homosexuality is not a choice - and I still find it strange that heterosexuals would think that it is. After all - when did you choose to only be attracted to the opposite sex and NOT the same sex? If you truly made that decision - then I guess it would make sense that you think it's a choice. If you did not truly make that decision - then why would you think that sexuality is something that you can choose? But I digress. Point being - if you think homosexual sex is wrong - don't do it. Problem solved. There are lots of things that other people do that I think is wrong. So I don't do them. Problem solved.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:10 PM

9,751 posts, read 3,007,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If you believe homosexuality is a choice and you believe it is a sin - then the answer is very simple - don't choose to be a homosexual. In actuality, homosexuality is not a choice - and I still find it strange that heterosexuals would think that it is. After all - when did you choose to only be attracted to the opposite sex and NOT the same sex? If you truly made that decision - then I guess it would make sense that you think it's a choice. If you did not truly make that decision - then why would you think that sexuality is something that you can choose? But I digress. Point being - if you think homosexual sex is wrong - don't do it. Problem solved. There are lots of things that other people do that I think is wrong. So I don't do them. Problem solved.
There are seducing spirits that entice one to such attactions. Not all we feel is to be followed.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:20 PM

16,314 posts, read 8,684,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
There are seducing spirits that entice one to such attactions. Not all we feel is to be followed.
Seducing spirits? Um... okay. My point is - you can choose your own path. If you think that homosexual sex is a sin - then don't partake in it. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity