Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Have any of the ETer's on this Forum converted to ET from UR?
Not only on this forum but worldwide it is very very very very very rare for someone to go from Christian UR beliefs to Christian ET beliefs. That's going backwards.

Take it from someone who has been in and around the movement for 50 plus years. I can count on one hand the number of real life cases I know of and on two fingers the online cases I know of.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:05 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
I was taught that a sentence to Hell is eternal, if that's true , then the correction is not like fixing a broken computer . Or if it is, then once corrected you can get a better job in hell? Explain your notion of correction.............por-fa-vor
Hell (darkness) is a place as well as a condition. The condition of your soul will determine your place in the spirit world. The most important attribute is Love and how well you love and are loved.

By correction I mean correcting all the things that you did to others that were not of love. This is done by forgiveness and "paying to the last farthing". You reap what you sow. What you do to others will be done to you.

The fast road out of darkness is asking for and receiving Divine Love. This love is the highest Law of Gods as well as the substance of God. As you receive more and more of this love, it changes the soul and this Love also overrides all other laws in which you will not have to follow the Law of Compensation because the Love wipes out all sins the more you acquire in your soul.

Remember, just because we are taught something, doesn't make it true. You are the only one who can know what is true my searching in your own heart to find the truth. It never matters what someone tells you, take it and ponder it and if it rings true, carry it.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
God created hell for satan and his angels,whether it be satan's angels or Satan's earthly followers who follow their own god or no god or the anti-christ. God created hell and he could keep the fires burning. He also created the destroyer who rebelled against God. And God created us and many rebell against God. All those who do not follow God but follow the destroyer will reap just as the old serpent has. We have a free will to obey or reject God's word.

God's word is plain. It is Satan who gives confusion.

We are to rely on the Holy Spirit to teach us. If it doesn't match up to the word of God it is off base and confusion will enter.
God did not create hell because God cannot sin. We created hell when we refused God's Great Gift.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The old "wanna buy a bridge" sales pitch ......
Didn't Jesus say those who want to cross from one side to another aren't able to because:
" 'a great chasm has been fixed so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’ "

Just who created this "chasm" ..... wow what a win win for those who reject Jesus.
I never knew that Jesus could so easly bs so many like sponge bob's imagination.
Moderator cut: edit
Jesuss meant that since there are many "mansions" your soul condition will not allow you to interact with those who are in a higher plane. You can visit lower plane spirits just as Jesus did but you cannot go to the higher planes because you would not be comfortable in them.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
NO!

We are NOT filthy rags to Him!

He created us. You may not realize this, but you insult the Creator when you say that we are filthy rags to Him.

Our actions are "filthy rags" when our actions are NOT motivated by love.
If you help someone, not out of love and compassion for that person, but with a selfish desire for a "future reward", THAT is "filthy rags". God knows your heart, knows your motives.

WE ourselves are NOT, I repeat, NOT filthy rags! But our actions can be deemed as such, depending on the condition and motivation of our heart.

We are beautiful beings created in the image of God. If we are filthy rags, then so is our Creator.

We are NOT filthy rags.

peace,
sparrow
Great post!! Still won't let me rep ya!!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM

175 posts, read 174,752 times
Quote:
Jesus had some choice words for those who oppose him. He calls them
"Dogs" ... "dogs that return to their vomit".
"Swin" ... "swine that wallows in her mud"
"brood of vipors"
If my memory serves me right He was talking to the church and their leaders at that time.

Also someone mentioned that we are not robots, that is true.........we are compared to clay in the potters hands

Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Moderator cut: warning

Guys, please make another thread about righteousnes, self righteousness and "filthy rags", as it is taking this one off topic..thanks all..

Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I agree, we are made in the image of God.God loves us all. Yet it is written.. Yet in the bible it states we are like filty rags. In our sinful state and even if we think ourselves righteous

I agree with everything you said, we are made in the image of God. Yet in the bible it states we are like filty rags. In our sinful state and even if we think ourselves righteous

Filthy Rags In The Bible: Isaiah 64:6 - Gospel.com
I realize Miss Blue just commented that we should stay on topic, but I felt this just needed to be clarified.

Taratova: the point is we are not filthy rags, but our actions can be like filthy rags. That is the difference. Read the verse yourself.

BTW Excellent post sparrow! It cleared up some things for myself.

Carry on...

Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Boy There is a lot of intrest in this topic. The topic is so large that it sometimes becomes hard to focus on one part but I'm going to try.

I read here where someone mentioned Jesus said that hell has the fire that can not be quenched and the worm that dieth not. I would like to point out that Jesus never used the word hell. Jesus talked of Gehenna Fire not hell. The King James translates Gehenna fire as hellfire.

Gehenna was a valley outside of Jerusalem where the jews at one time sacrificed thier children to the god, Moloch. They would put the child in a pair of metel arms and the arms would be rotated into a fire and the child would be consumed. God called this practice, an abomination. To think that God would burn his children in actual fire means God would be doing what he himself said was an abomination. Do you think God would do an abomination?

Remember Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables and when he talks of suffering Gehenna Fire this is also a parable. Gehenna became the garbage dump of Jerusalem and was constantly on fire. What was it burning? Junk and refuse. When Jesus speaks of us sufferinbg Gehenna Fire it means all the junk and refuse( our carnality) in us will be consumed.
When does a fire that can not be quenched( put out) go out? When it runs out of fuel. You can't put it out but it will burn out just as Gehenna Fire will burn out when it has complete its job of consumming our carnality.

The worm that dieth not. The worm is a maggot which does not die but does transform into another creature, just like we are transformed into another creature when we repent and out hearts are changed and we transform to be like God.

It is a parable not hellfire and not an abomination like burnning people in literal fire would be, It is spiritual.
Good info.

This is something I think that people cannot seem to wrap there head around.

Jesus did not speak English
!

Jesus never said the word "H-E-L-L". In fact he never even said a word translated from Aramaic/Hebrew/Greek that even approximates as what we would think of as hell as an everlasting place of torture in fire.

Jesus spoke about Gehenna. Literally speaking that was the valley of Hinnom where garbage was burned up and worms (maggots) devoured the decomposing bodies of criminals. The fire never burned out because there was always garbage to burn up and the worms "never died" because there was always more bodies being thrown there. This is physically what Gehenna was. Yet today the fires and worms are gone. Well perhaps the worms have ended up in your garden as earthworms. You can visit Gehenna today - it is a beautiful grassy green valley outside of Jerusalem. The fires are gone thankfully.

However Jesus used the physical place of Gehenna to represent something: to represent judgment - namely to represent the idea of the bad stuff, the criminal nature, the garbage in our life - being burned up. That is what judgment does - it sets things right and teaches righteousness. When God's judgments come, the people learn righteousness - this is what Isaiah tells us in Isaiah 26:9-10. People don't learn righteousness by God's grace (verse 10), but they will learn it by His judgments.

So that is what Gehenna is all about. It should have never been translated as "HELL" because Jesus did not say or mean "HELL".

As others have said the word hell originally meant "to cover". This is where we get into the other words that have been translated as "hell": hades/sheol.

Hades and sheol are equivalent between Greek (hades) and Hebrew (sheol). They both mean the same thing, this can be verified exactly in scripture because the new testament (Greek) quotes the old testament (Hebrew) and it is the same word used: hades or sheol. They mean the same thing.

What hades/sheol refers to is the place where we go when we die. It meant "to cover" (aka cover body with dirt) or more generically "the unseen" - basically meaning a place that was out of sight, no one knew what was there because lets face it no one knows what happens when they die. It is out of sight: "unseen". That is what hades/sheol is. Sometimes it is referred to as the grave or "the pit". But it is simply referring to the place where the dead go.

In scripture it is described as a place that is "like sleep" where we make our bed; there is no knowledge or device or thought or wisdom or remembrance there. It is quite simply unconscious death. Everyone goes there when they die.

So in that sense we all go to "hell" when we die, but "hell" is not the right word, even though some bibles translate it that way. It is simply hades/sheol: the realm of the dead, the unseen.

In one other place "hell" is translated from the word tartarus meaning abyss, again this is not really an accurate translation.

If you really study this honestly, you will see this word "hell" has been manipulated from the meaning of "to cover" and from other words (gehenna) into the most fearful thing you can imagine: eternal torture in fire. Yet that is not what the scriptures say or intended with this word.

Remember: JESUS DID NOT SPEAK ENGLISH.

The bibles we have are translations of scripture and as such are subject to possible error and misunderstanding. This should be obvious but people are too willing to accept what they have been told. For this reason it is very important to study many different translations, and compare and study with the original languages if possible.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanerges View Post
If my memory serves me right He was talking to the church and their leaders at that time.

Also someone mentioned that we are not robots, that is true.........we are compared to clay in the potters hands
When I had said this.....
Jesus had some choice words for those who oppose him. He calls them
"Dogs" ... "dogs that return to their vomit".
"Swin" ... "swine that wallows in her mud"
"brood of vipors"
.... was just a list of different adjectives in seperate accounts through out the NT. The word "dogs" used in Revelation 22:15 isn't just a list religious leaders of Jesus' day.

Revelation 22:15 is one of those verses among many others of the two distinct groups of people that always seemingly appear when Jesus talks about the subject.

Jesus is the truth .... right?
Jesus says that when he speaks, it is not his words but the Fathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity