U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Status: "OU sucks!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
6,696 posts, read 2,661,336 times
Reputation: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Firstly, I have studied extensively the origins of the bible that we have today...that alone, goes a long way in clearly showing that the entire text is not "inspired"...there are plenty of man made addtions, deletions and edits. Secondly, the final product we have today also contains an agenda...that of controlling the masses...this is why it is so important to let the Spirit speak to you from within...then you will know what is inspired and what is just added by man. Personally, I don't find it that difficult to discern the origin of some of the man made doctrine and dogma that has been added over the centuries...it's obvious to me what came from God and what didn't...given what the Spirit has revealed to me regarding God.

Can you give a few examples of Scripture that are not inspired by God, according to the Holy Spirit's revelation to you?

 
Old 05-28-2011, 01:32 AM
 
7,305 posts, read 2,484,847 times
Reputation: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Can you give a few examples of Scripture that are not inspired by God, according to the Holy Spirit's revelation to you?
Do you mean an example or reference to the uninspired, deliberate and systematic extermination of a
national, racial, political, or cultural group, including women and children, by having them slaughtered?
 
Old 05-28-2011, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 3,273,194 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You know Rev...what you call Divine Love, I call Christ Consciousness (which allows one to LOVE as God loves and SEE others as God sees them)...but it's all the same darn thing. Until we deny self (dissolve our egos)...the raising of our consciousness to that of Christ/putting on the mind of Christ will never happen.

Jesus said (and I'm paraphrasing here): Seek FIRST the Kingdom and eveything else will be added to you...and where is the Kingdom?????? Jesus said it was WITHIN YOU...but apparently there are many who don't believe him. Just saying...
We don't dissolve our ego, we must balance it because ego is a part of us.

The Kingdom is within us however, we don't get to that Kingdom until we are At-One with God. We must become like Him and not remain in the image. God is absolute Divine Love so if we say the Kingdom is within us and don't have Divine Love/Christ consciousness, we do not have that Kingdom within us. We will only have the potential of the Kingdom. So, all those seeking for the kingdom outside of themselves through books and a mere belief will never find it. When we go within in stillness meditation, we will find it.
 
Old 05-28-2011, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 3,273,194 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Your post reminds me of the word of God . If it is not of love it is like a tinkling symbol and a sounding bell. We can give our bodies to be burned and if it is not in love it is in vain or for nothing.


In order to know the whole truth of God is to read the Bible . Every word written is the Word of God. To not accept the whole truth is not accepting the whole God. We cannot pick and choose what is from God and what is not. Then we are creating our own God with taking certain scriptures and leaving others out. There is a warning at the end of the Bible .Nothing to be added to the word and nothing taken away.

If we accept Jesus as Lord that is a step of submission to Jesus to make him our teacher through the word. If we do not read the word as Jesus commanded his believers we are not doing what Jesus asked us to do. Feed the Spirit with the word. We are born again as our old nature wars against the new nature that is being fed by the word of God. We grow spiritually but we must first accept Jesus as our Savior and Lord.

We feed our new born again spirit with the word of God. To deny any of the words of God is not accepting Christ though Faith. Believing every word is from God is complete faith. If we do not come as little children to God our ego will decide what is God and what is not.

Why become born again if we leave our ego as the guiding force in what we believe. It is the Holy Spirit that will guide us if we truly believe.
The bible does not contain all of God's Truth because Truth cannot be contained. You have the right to believe every word but I refuse to believe it is "the word of God" simply because God is not evil nor does He do things that are evil. He also does not demand that we do evil. And, He doesn't go back on His word the way the bible depicts that He does.
 
Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 AM
 
Location: NJ and Florida
9,587 posts, read 2,833,157 times
Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The bible does not contain all of God's Truth because Truth cannot be contained. You have the right to believe every word but I refuse to believe it is "the word of God" simply because God is not evil nor does He do things that are evil. He also does not demand that we do evil. And, He doesn't go back on His word the way the bible depicts that He does.

The Holy Spirit of Godi is our teacher. If what we decide to beilieve and it does not line up with the entire word of God it is heresy. We can't define God without the Word of God.

We will know if it is truth if we read the word and flll our hearts with his word. If we hear someone making a statement on what God is we test it with the word. If it lines up it is truth , if it does not , we reject it and we are warned to constantly guard our hearts to what is truth and what is not.
 
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Location: USA
5,498 posts, read 1,998,447 times
Reputation: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
...they created the god of this world, exalting themselves; but he who exalts himself will be humbled.



(Warning: rambling ahead. Feel free to skip to the questions in blue.)


This is where I got stuck yesterday. I agree that people create god. Many Christians like to think that they accept every word of the bible as true but those same people still come up with sometimes vastly different interpretations of what those words actually mean and tell us about the God of the bible. People create their own god, even if they use the bible to do it. Which leads me to think that "god" really is just a construct of the human mind.

There may very well be an underlying Reality/Source/God that people are perceiving in different ways, but it does make one wonder how they think they ever could trust their perceptions, even if those perceptions are supposedly based on the bible,

So, perhaps a better question for this thread, since the majority of the people responding are of the "God is Love" ilk, is why are you so sure of that one thing? Personally, I got that from the bible and it resonated very strongly with me and that is what I began to filter everything through, as do many of you. But, apparently, for many people what resonates is the "God is anger, wrath, justice" and "men are worms and filthy rags" paradigm through which they filter everything else in the bible. Both groups got their basic premise from the bible.

For me, personally, I do see Love as the most powerful force for good on this planet so it makes sense to me to think of "God" in that way. But I also see that much in human nature does not reflect that Source so it hasn't made as much progress as one would think it should have. More curiously yet, I also see that much in nature does not seem to reflect Love: the randomness of evolution, the survival of the fittest, extinction of species ... in my mind, those things don't fit a God who is Love and intimately involved in the affairs of our world.

So is the only thing you have to go on an "inner witness" to the idea that God is Love (and people aren't filthy rags ), even though so very many others do not share that witness? Why do you trust that your "witness" is true? What confirms that for you? ETA: Really, this question can go either way ... why do people who filter their beliefs/the bible through a different paradigm than "God is love" feel that their paradigm/their "inner witness", is the right one?
 
Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 AM
 
Location: USA
5,498 posts, read 1,998,447 times
Reputation: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
How I reconcile these apparent contradictions is by realizing we are all walking contradictions! ha
If I lived up to my ideals, I'd be a saint! No, I'd be translated!!!
But gosh-darnit - I don't! I'm not perfect & I don't even always try my best.
Yet, there definitely is a spirit within me - that inspires me to feel & do great things too!

Another way I reconcile such biblical contradictions, is realizing that much of life involves compromise - or finding the "middle way."

Really liked what you had to say here, SuperSoul.
 
Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 AM
 
Location: USA
5,498 posts, read 1,998,447 times
Reputation: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Firstly, I have studied extensively the origins of the bible that we have today...that alone, goes a long way in clearly showing that the entire text is not "inspired"...there are plenty of man made addtions, deletions and edits. Secondly, the final product we have today also contains an agenda...that of controlling the masses...this is why it is so important to let the Spirit speak to you from within...then you will know what is inspired and what is just added by man. Personally, I don't find it that difficult to discern the origin of some of the man made doctrine and dogma that has been added over the centuries...it's obvious to me what came from God and what didn't...given what the Spirit has revealed to me regarding God.
Yes, I got a "schooling" about ancient literature and the bible from a professor with whom I got into a debate online. Over a period of many months my ideas about the infallibility and inerrancy of Scripture were thoroughly demolished.

Unlike you, I don't find it obvious to know what, if anything, comes from "God".
 
Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 AM
 
Location: USA
5,498 posts, read 1,998,447 times
Reputation: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The Holy Spirit of Godi is our teacher. If what we decide to beilieve and it does not line up with the entire word of God it is heresy. We can't define God without the Word of God.

I know URs, ANs and ETs who ALL believe that their view absolutely lines up with ALL of scripture. They all think the others are ignoring some parts of scripture, or aren't interpreting it correctly, or aren't being led by the Spirit. Apparently, there is something more to figuring out what is true than it just "lining up with" scripture.
 
Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: NJ and Florida
9,587 posts, read 2,833,157 times
Reputation: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
(Warning: rambling ahead. Feel free to skip to the questions in blue.)


This is where I got stuck yesterday. I agree that people create god. Many Christians like to think that they accept every word of the bible as true but those same people still come up with sometimes vastly different interpretations of what those words actually mean and tell us about the God of the bible. People create their own god, even if they use the bible to do it. Which leads me to think that "god" really is just a construct of the human mind.

There may very well be an underlying Reality/Source/God that people are perceiving in different ways, but it does make one wonder how they think they ever could trust their perceptions, even if those perceptions are supposedly based on the bible,

So, perhaps a better question for this thread, since the majority of the people responding are of the "God is Love" ilk, is why are you so sure of that one thing? Personally, I got that from the bible and it resonated very strongly with me and that is what I began to filter everything through, as do many of you. But, apparently, for many people what resonates is the "God is anger, wrath, justice" and "men are worms and filthy rags" paradigm through which they filter everything else in the bible. Both groups got their basic premise from the bible.

For me, personally, I do see Love as the most powerful force for good on this planet so it makes sense to me to think of "God" in that way. But I also see that much in human nature does not reflect that Source so it hasn't made as much progress as one would think it should have. More curiously yet, I also see that much in nature does not seem to reflect Love: the randomness of evolution, the survival of the fittest, extinction of species ... in my mind, those things don't fit a God who is Love and intimately involved in the affairs of our world.

So is the only thing you have to go on an "inner witness" to the idea that God is Love (and people aren't filthy rags ), even though so very many others do not share that witness? Why do you trust that your "witness" is true? What confirms that for you? ETA: Really, this question can go either way ... why do people who filter their beliefs/the bible through a different paradigm than "God is love" feel that their paradigm/their "inner witness", is the right one?
Your interpretation of filty rags is off some. What the word of God is saying is that OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS IS LIKE FILTY RAGS TO THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD.

It is this statement in the bible that compares our righteousness with the righteousness of God. I am not offended by it at all..

Suppose I said to my friends after I read the ten equations of Einstein , I am a 'peabrain 'compared to Einstein. I am an intelligent human being yet Einstein surpasses the average intelligent person.

This is comparing my intelligence to the intelligence of Einstein which I know makes my intelligence look like a peabrain to me.

Now the righteousness of God that is so above all of us makes the statement that our righteousness in like filty rags compared to the righteousness of God. His holiness is so far from ours.

I know I am not a filty rag , my righteousness is next to God's.....as I know I am not a peabrain next to the average person.

It is a comparision point the Bible makes.

I am clean and washed in the blood of the lamb, and God's wisdom is riches beyond compare. My righteousness is not even close to what God's holiness is. I am humbled by it not belittled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top