U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:26 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,777,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
the one before-why?
You're so high-strung Allen, it makes me squirm. I guess I need to stop reading your posts. That was a tad harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,193,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Why do believe the Bible to be the whole word of God? Because God is omniscient, omnipotent, infinite and has the power to do all things. Everything we need is there. God would not allow His Word to be tainted by human error.
2 Peter 1:20-21 2 Timothy 3:16
Amen

Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,180,339 times
Then quit, why trouble yourself? If harsh drives one from information, then I guess one only listens for what one already knows; or requires comfort-all work is difficult.

You know what would be interesting is to have something said rather than preached to. Some one re-copies one's whole post and says they are of the spirit. Big deal, as an opinion, from an unknown, that means nothing. What pissed you off and what is the counter argument?

Old 06-18-2011, 02:46 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,419,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Then quit, why trouble yourself? If harsh drives one from information, then I guess one only listens for what one already knows; or requires comfort-all work is difficult.

You know what would be interesting is to have something said rather than preached to. Some one re-copies one's whole post and says they are of the spirit. Big deal, as an opinion, from an unknown, that means nothing. What pissed you off and what is the counter argument?
There's a roadblock in front of your words... How about--- if you want people to read your posts and receive edification from them you tone it down a little....

But of course it's the other guys fault, right? Because he's reading it wrong... You sound angry to me and I can't seem to receive whatever it is you are trying to say...

Old 06-18-2011, 05:49 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,129,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGKangrui View Post
I've always been curious as to why my fellow Christians only believe in the Bible and say that there can not be any more revelation. The only scripture I've heard that talks about this is Revelation 22: 18-21 which says:

This would seem to say the Bible is complete, but this refers only to the book of Revelation. The Bible was not put together until many years after the books were all written. Many parts of Jesus' ministry were not recorded as well as many Old Testament era events.

Many more scriptures talk about the need for more scripture as opposed to limiting it to the Bible. John 21:25 says

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I would really like to hear other justification for the Bible as currently comprised being the whole word of God. Do you think the Bible right now has everything we need to understand what we are supposed to do?
Yes, revelation still occurs. In fact, in order for any reader to understand any scripture, God must reveal this understanding to him. This is revelation, or a revealing of something that is hidden.

Just as the religious leaders of Jesus' time were offended and angered by Jesus' words, which came from the Father, so today, Christendom is mostly under the sway of satan in the same way, ready to crucify anyone who will declare new words from the Father.

Jesus' words were "higher" than the teachings of Moses. Likewise, the understandings that the Father gives to His church today are "higher" than the teachings of Jesus. Jesus said that we would do greater works than He did, because He went back to the Father. By returning to the Father, He blessed all mankind, and gave us the Christlife that Adam had but lost.

Therefore, we speak the words of Christ in sincerity, and those who hear us hear Him. If we desire Christ to dwell in us, He reveals Himself to us, and to the world through us. The Spirit and Word are alive, and give life. The Bible is only the testimony of those who have gone before us, and the things written therein are for our benefit. Yet without God's Spirit speaking and moving within us, we cannot understand them.

"The letter kills." This is because without the Spirit, the words of the Bible are confusing and contradictory. Hence the 38,000 denominations in Christendom.

Aisi..

Blessings,
brian

Old 06-18-2011, 10:27 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,180,339 times
A road block........and so because there is this road block, one is not edified, and then it is because of me.

One really misses the whole point doesn't one?

Systematically, one deals with one's environment from one's own internal operations (that is the point of my two long posts, where my anger is no where to be seen, and yet one has not got the point from those posts-one only sees the anger from some terse shorts, and then one has a mental road block thrown up!). What does it mean that the system deals with one's environment from one's own internal operations? A careful reader will see this having all transpired right here in a few short posts.

For this immediate anger situation, the alter (other than me, as I am ego from my perspective) psychic system encounters my anger as "object" in alter's environment, then alter brings my anger, as "object", into cognition (just as one encounters the bible); my anger becomes an idea for alter. In the "being of Adam", if alter is there (in Adam), alter has control of my anger (alter's concentration on this matter is in alter's brain as idea). Is lord of it, and sorts it, attempts to fit it into alter's system of thought. So yes it is the other guys fault, and then you have sorted me, determined me and such, also as object (as that guy did [judged me to be something] in that post above when he accused me of judging). The Adamic nature's view of others, "being things at hand" in the environment of alter. One is now looking at my finger, not where it is pointing.

Once in cognition, alter's mental processes (its operations), alter's psychic system then interprets my anger as environmental "object". As real "object" as opposed to alter's cognitive "object" then, my "real" anger transcends alter's mental idea of my anger-but alter is left with alter's idea because of the transcendence. Anyone who has read my posts above will recognize something very significant here and with a little thought will immediately see a very big problem here both with the encounter of one with god, bible, theology, church, etc. Of course, light weight minds will immediately retreat to immediacy and no fruitful discussions will ensue.

I don't care to edify, I don't care if I am read, I don't care if I am perceived as angry, I don't care if I am thought to be lost; I just don't care. Why? Because I have no power in how others think-each thinks from their own mental systemic operations (it is here where pagan wisdom knew its place, as it knew that it could not give birth as that was for the god only, a person can only mid-wife; if one truly desires the truth). I can certainly influence, lie, trick, manipulate, sweat talk, etc, but alter has to do the work-each must take up his own cross. Those operations are probably developed from education, upbringing, class consciousness, etc, in conjunction with how the mind works.

Once in christ, the mind is violated, or, its enclosed-ness is breached by god (god is never that sappy "gentleman" one hears about and gags on today; as Kierkegaard had it, this is all death bed talk and quite serious). The environment becomes more open as to its truth apart from cognition, or transcendence is overcome. This is essential if theology (and the bible) is to become a true truth not a truth created by mind, which if created, is the creation of god himself, as god is a concept for cognition (so you can see when some one posts that they are "filled with the spirit", well it is quite irrelevant, the devil can say this; one should explain oneself rather than preach), and yet god has to be more than concept in order to be "possessed" as the god "in himself" is.

The question for this post asked with a "Why" or for an explanation-I assume there was meant to be a "you" in it. This "you" then has implications for both the individual and the social because the church, the true one, confesses with a "we" as the "being" of christ. This question then, for the believer is also for the church.

Social systems are composed of communications (your psychic system is composed of consciousness-there is a difference), and those communications also respond to environmental "objects". The church then lays in the same complexity that the psychic system does. This means that a church interprets its environment from its own operations as well. It encounters god, the bible, theology, even its members, and it too can be self enclose, or "cor curvum en se" just as the psychic system, except as distinct by its operations composed from communications. It too must be breached by god (a lapsed church, say a heretical one, is left to itself, as heretical, if it still throws christ's name around perhaps it may be re-breached by god if he so decides-god is true freedom; he does not have to). When breached, and with its being in christ, christ's word will be heard in that openness. That is the only way.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:58 PM

37,666 posts, read 25,381,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
If God is everything I said He is, and He is, then He has the power to keep His Word error free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Yes, ILNC, He is.... everything and has kept His word pure and error free !!
It is man who takes the word (scripture) who twist, mangle, and interpret it by taking it from out beyond the pages of the Bible and making it to mean something completely different then what God intended it in teaching truth, leading one in all truth, and protecting those in truth who believe.... amen !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes He does. He also had the power to keep Adam and Eve from eating the forbidden fruit, but He allowed them the freedom to disobey Him. He has always allowed human beings to go against His will. You're not a Catholic. Why not? Don't you believe the Catholic Church is the Church Jesus Christ established on this earth? Any Catholic will tell you that God promised not to let His Church be corrupted, and yet any non-Catholic Christian will argue that the Catholic Church began to teach things that were not part of Jesus Christ's original gospel. In your opinion, why did God allow that to happen?

(Please, everybody, note that this is not a rant against Catholicism. I am just giving this as an example to make a point -- that point being that God gave men their freedom of choice. And with that freedom, came the ability to mess things up. The fact that Catholicism is not the only Christian Church around today is proof that a whole lot of people in the world believe that God did not protect His Church in the way Catholics believe He said He would. So how can those same people insist that He protected His written word down to the letter?)
There is no reasoning with irrationality and unreasoning credulity, Katz. There has never been and will never be any example of ANYTHING that is in the hands of men that has remained uncorrupted and unaltered. We are corruptible beings in corruptible bodies and have free will by God's EXPRESS WILL. The contention that God has "protected" the scriptures from man's tampering and misunderstanding is ludicrous on its face. What possible need would there be to properly divide the scriptures if it were true?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:19 PM

21,321 posts, read 21,009,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no reasoning with irrationality and unreasoning credulity, Katz.
Clearly. What bugs me is that I am so irrational as to keep trying!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,974,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Clearly. What bugs me is that I am so irrational as to keep trying!
Couldn't rep ya.

But I tried....

Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,372,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

When the Book of Revelation was finished around 95 A.D., the Canon of Scripture was complete. The fact that the books were not all assembled together under one cover as we have them today is irrelevant. One of the criteria for canonicity was that the New Testament books had to be written by an apostle or someone closely associated with an apostle. Mark was associated with Peter, and Luke was associated with Paul. John was the last of the apostles and when he died there were no more writers of scripture.

The Bible is God's complete message to man. God's thoughts, His doctrines, His plan, His promises, and everything that God wanted us to know concerning our relationship with Him was communicated to the human authors of Scripture and then under the power of the Holy Spirit, they recorded this revelation in writing.
I don't think the completeness of 'God' can ever be 'canned' in a 5x8 book...or any book...

The thought of that is absurd...I mean there are biographies, books, written about human beings, that have more pages and words than the bible...

To think that Gods glory, all that he is, can do, has done, can be contained in a paper back book...is silly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or