U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,388,973 times

Advertisements

Also, I sometimes wonder why God needed to filter his 'will' through any man at all...

Anytime you filter anything through man, it becomes subjective...

Why would God filter his 'word' or 'instructions' through sinful man?
Why not just use a 'pure' angel?

Then people say these men were 'guided by the holy spirit'...
What does that really mean?
How do we know what they were guided by?
More than likely they were guided by their own moods and cultural influences, like we all are...

I mean how does the 'holy spirit' guide you to write something?
All they were doing was writing down things they had personally witnessed themselves, or that others had shown or taught them...

That simply requires a good memory more so than the holy spirit...

Prophecy...things that haven't occured yet, could really be the only thing one could contribute to supernatural forces guideing someone...

But for the most part, all the apostles did was from memory, write down the events that occured while they were in the presence of Jesus...
That just takes a good memory and a honest character...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 02:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 10,165,548 times
The Bible clearly tells us that "All scripture is inspired by God" and that "no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation". It then goes on to repeatedly warn against taking away from or adding anything to God's Word (as delivered through His prophets). Then, the Bible, as has been delivered to us starts with, "In the beginning, God created" and ends with another admonition NOT to add or take anything away.

In other words, God has given us all that we need in His complete (beginning to end), divinely inspired written Word. If one believes God gave mankind His written and living inspired Word ... can one also rationally suggest that God lacks the power to keep it inspired or that men possess the power to overcome God's inspiration?? ... I think not. Like God, His Word is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. (Of course translations are required, but, we need to understand the difference between translations and interpretations ... because "there are no balid private interpretations."

The real problem with adding or taking anything away from God's complete, inspired, written Word ... is that doing so immediately undermines the entire document! The minute we declare, "I believe everything that is written in the Bible .... except for this one, tiny passage" OR "I believe the Bible is complete, ... except this one tiny passage should be added" ... we have given-up any authority to claim any other part of God's Word as truth or inspired by God!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,985,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The Bible clearly tells us that "All scripture is inspired by God" and that "no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation". It then goes on to repeatedly warn against taking away from or adding anything to God's Word (as delivered through His prophets). Then, the Bible, as has been delivered to us starts with, "In the beginning, God created" and ends with another admonition NOT to add or take anything away.

In other words, God has given us all that we need in His complete (beginning to end), divinely inspired written Word. If one believes God gave mankind His written and living inspired Word ... can one also rationally suggest that God lacks the power to keep it inspired or that men possess the power to overcome God's inspiration?? ... I think not. Like God, His Word is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. (Of course translations are required, but, we need to understand the difference between translations and interpretations ... because "there are no balid private interpretations."

The real problem with adding or taking anything away from God's complete, inspired, written Word ... is that doing so immediately undermines the entire document! The minute we declare, "I believe everything that is written in the Bible .... except for this one, tiny passage" OR "I believe the Bible is complete, ... except this one tiny passage should be added" ... we have given-up any authority to claim any other part of God's Word as truth or inspired by God!
I don't see where anything you quoted from scripture, implies that all of God's word is contained within the bible.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:32 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,714,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGKangrui View Post
I've always been curious as to why my fellow Christians only believe in the Bible and say that there can not be any more revelation. The only scripture I've heard that talks about this is Revelation 22: 18-21 which says:

This would seem to say the Bible is complete, but this refers only to the book of Revelation. The Bible was not put together until many years after the books were all written. Many parts of Jesus' ministry were not recorded as well as many Old Testament era events.

Many more scriptures talk about the need for more scripture as opposed to limiting it to the Bible. John 21:25 says

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I would really like to hear other justification for the Bible as currently comprised being the whole word of God. Do you think the Bible right now has everything we need to understand what we are supposed to do?

Actually all we need to know to be good mature spiritual beings is contained within the bible, however with that said, it is also true that you can be a good mature spiritual being without ever having read the bible.

Some WILL take offense to that , but who cares?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,388,973 times
Quote:

But most of scripture is simply 'story telling'...in other words, someone writing down from either memory, or through 3rd or 4th person account, of events that took place...

What does that have to do with 'inspiration'?

All that requires is a good memory...and honesty...
That's what 'scribes' use to do...

It would be like me, from memory, re-telling stories about the people I hung around and knew from 20 years ago...It's just memory...

Last edited by Time and Space; 07-14-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM

37,791 posts, read 25,503,555 times
Quote:

::SIGH:: When will this magical and corrupt doctrine surrender to the injunction to PROPERLY DIVIDE the scriptures? The religious leaders are guilty of a heinous crime against the Word of God (Jesus Christ) and His Gospel. I doubt that any claims that they honestly believed it will reduce the heavy burden they face for such blasphemy against the Word of God and His Gospel..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or