Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks, lovesmountains, for actually taking the time to answer my question. It helped.
Glad I could help. I'm praying for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Because, Julian, the question is, is it right for churches to demand a tithe, meaning 10%. Tithing is not taught in the NT. We are to give, yes, but as we prosper and cheerfully. Churches that demand 10% are wrong.

In my parish members are mailed envelopes for Sunday collection and other special days in the liturgical calendar. A specific quantity is not specified and I have never been pressured to give money. However, they bring a speaker once a year for extra offering for the poor. This is just a pledge. However, there is zero pressure to give.

When they pass the plate on Sundays I would say that only 15-20% of parishioners are giving with envelopes. Most folks just give nothing or at most drop a dollar in the plate. Nevertheless, I believe this is not an issue as the church has billions and billions of dollars worldwide. So members never feel any pressure.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
In my parish members are mailed envelopes for Sunday collection and other special days in the liturgical calendar. A specific quantity is not specified and I have never been pressured to give money. However, they bring a speaker once a year for extra offering for the poor. This is just a pledge. However, there is zero pressure to give.

When they pass the plate on Sundays I would say that only 15-20% of parishioners are giving with envelopes. Most folks just give nothing or at most drop a dollar in the plate. Nevertheless, I believe this is not an issue as the church has billions and billions of dollars worldwide. So members never feel any pressure.
The "church" is made up of more than one denomination

While the Catholic Church is very organized and never pressures its members to tithe, some other churches do.

Oh, and don't judge the folks who don't appear to be putting any money or envelopes in the collection plate.

Many churches these days have made it easier to give by setting up automatic withdrawls for their parishoners for certain days of the month. And in some churches people just prefer to mail their tithe in once a month for the whole month

Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
They ask for pledges in my church because they need to have some kind of budget. That's just reality. The pledges at least give us some kind of estimate as to how far we'll fall short of what we need to survive. We've got to keep a building operational and heat it and have lights available. Our budget for the entire year is a little less than $90K. We cannot afford to pay our priests salaries, but we are fortunate in that we have two priests who are retired from other vocations (one was an Army chaplain and the other was in the corporate world) who serve in return for a small housing allowance. The church does a couple of regular fundraisers each year (rummage sales, dinners) to help fill in the missing $$, with parishioners donating what is needed for the fundraisers. We also have some men who are handy as carpenters, etc., so building repairs (the church was constructed in 1872) are mostly done by the parishioners, too.

We also lucked out in that some guy who was never a member of our church but was friends with a church member died and left us a pipe organ that had been in his home.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Something I thought of that is sort of funny concerning tithing:

Pat Robertson Says God Owns Poor Family's Money - YouTube

Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I have a serious issue with "tithing" which I believe is just an excuse to make sure that "some" churches make a lot of money.

First of all, I believe in Jesus,
but as far as I know Jesus didn't tell us to tithe, he told us to "give graciously" which completely make sense.
It's not the same for a person who's house and cars are paid for and kids are adults to give 10% than a family with 3 little kids living in an apartment paycheck to paycheck.

What are your thoughts about tithing?

1. TITHING ACCORDING TO GOD
1.1 Paraphrase of God's Commandments on Tithing to the Israelites
One tenth of all your income is Mine, and it is holy unto Me. (Ref. Lev.27:30) Therefore, I, as the rightful Owner of the 10% of your every pay cheque, command you the following:
a) Take the tenth portion of your pay cheque, which is Mine, go and have fun. Spend it on you and your family, for whatever your heart desires.(Ref. Deu.12:5-7; Deu.12:10-12; Deu.12:17-18; Deu.14:22-26)
b) However, do not forget those whom I have called into My ministry and those who are poor: take 10% of your every THIRD pay check and do not spend it on yourself and your family, but rather give it to them. (Ref. Deu.12:19; Deu.14:27-29; Deu.26:12-13)
c) Remember: one tenth of your income is My holy tithe, and you MUST...For the rest of the article, see - The Truth About Tithing--Old Testament Perspective

Last edited by Richard1965; 03-04-2012 at 08:24 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Actually, in that scripture reference, Jesus did not tell us (people today) to tithe, He was telling THEM (people He was speaking to, living 2000 yrs ago) to tithe. Why? Because they were still living under old testament law. They were required by OT law to keep the title, AND all the other OT commandments as well.

Everyone who has ever lived after Jesus' death and resurrection has lived under NT grace, and is not under OT law. There is no NT law that says we must "give 10% of our income" to a church. Preachers who say you must are either scamming you, or simply do not understand what the Bible actually says.

That being said, NT teachings give a high priority on GIVING. If one feels led to give a portion of their income to a needy church, a struggling pastor, or simply someone in great need, then that is fine and honored by God, and is the right thing to do. If you cannot afford to give anything, then perhaps the other members in your church should be giving something to YOU, and not to the church...

Bud
Does anyone here even know what the Old testament Tithe even was???...And how often it should be obseved?...

Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Does anyone here even know what the Old testament Tithe even was???...And how often it should be obseved?...
The tithe was for the Levites, as they had no inheritance. There were also other times they were to tithe for other things.

I believe it was done yearly, and also once every three years was a special tithe.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
The tithe was for the Levites, as they had no inheritance. There were also other times they were to tithe for other things.

I believe it was done yearly, and also once every three years was a special tithe.
Someone that actually researches and studies is on here...WOW!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity