U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 PM

76 posts, read 63,249 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard the Creationist theory that the 7 days of Genesis were longer than "Earth Days"? It is a theory that attempts to explain the difference between the big bang theory and the creationist theory. Some people say there is much biblical evidence suggesting that the genesis days were extremely long, mathematically equal to specific points in the time-line of the big bang. One of the commandment's, however, states that we are to rest on the day of sabbath, the seventh day. It states the reason is that 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it. This would seem to suggest that either the genesis days were only approximately 24 hours each, or that we need to work for billions of years before our next day of sabbath. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,075,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefool View Post
Anyone heard the Creationist theory that the 7 days of Genesis were longer than "Earth Days"? It is a theory that attempts to explain the difference between the big bang theory and the creationist theory. Some people say there is much biblical evidence suggesting that the genesis days were extremely long, mathematically equal to specific points in the time-line of the big bang. One of the commandment's, however, states that we are to rest on the day of sabbath, the seventh day. It states the reason is that 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it. This would seem to suggest that either the genesis days were only approximately 24 hours each, or that we need to work for billions of years before our next day of sabbath. Any thoughts on this?

The verse you're quoting there is Exd. 20:11 (repeated in Ex. 31:17).

The word translated into English as "days" or "day" is the Hebrew word yowm, which has several meanings. It can refer to a 24 hour day, day as opposed to night or a division of time, such as a working day or a day's journey.

But, it also can mean an unspecified general period of time. It can also mean literally one year or a temporal reference to yesterday, today or tomorrow.

As with most words with multiple possible meanings, it must be defined by the context in which it is used. You may draw your own conclusions, but to me, the use of that word in relation to creation does not preclude a period of time exceeding a single 24 hour day. However, when used in the context of setting aside a "day" as the Sabbath, it hardly seems likely that it refers to anything other than one rotation of the earth on its axis.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:38 PM

3,582 posts, read 460,282 times
Quote:
I believe that the 7th day sabbath was a symbol of Gods rest .... we also see in Psalms that the Israelites did not enter into Gods rest which is still going on, and we also see in Hebrews that we enter Gods rest through Christ, and not by observing the 7th day, which was a symbol of what was to come.

Psa 95:10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
Psa 95:11 Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 AM

7,880 posts, read 6,691,569 times
The rest of the Lord can have different meanings ,...... For Men it is the abilities to take time and have a special day so men can rest and worship the Lord because the controls of life can be demanding ....... Also Rest can mean a gift from the Lord for all believer of Jesus who get born again and will find rest from the authority of the dark spirits of the earth who the Lord will rip out , by the faith of these people .....the rest in the creations story were the Lord created every thing , then on the seventh day he rested , then Adam fell and men followed and the Lord is still in rest, and the creation forces from the Lord has not created any new animals for the earth, but He still creates in other way by substaining the creation that he has already, and the born again new creation is similar to the life from the Lord that Adam got even though Adam was not born Again......

Old 05-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Stillkit from what it sounds like to me God's commandment is that we work the same six days as God did and take an equal day of rest, the sabbath day. I guess the length of day could change depending on context, but the actual commandment refers to the period of time described in genesis so it would appear both time spans would be equal. (unless this is another part of the bible to not be taken literally, which would be rather odd. You would think the ten commandments should be straightforward with no room for debate). Meerkat I see your point that the 7 days could be a reference to points in life, that the 7th day could be that of the afterlife, entrance into heaven. Life would be the six days of work. In that sense then genesis would literally not point to any limited span of time at all, just the period of work. This would bring my interest to the number six then, because if that were true what would be the point of it?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:36 PM

I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth by the way. Please correct me if I am.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,294,852 times
Creation has several themes attached to it. Although I disagree Genesis 1 and 2 is about physical creation, it does indeed utilize those themes, but the fundamental theme is theological, the preparation of Adam as God's first priest and federal head of His covenantal terms. A really good book to read is Beale's The Temple and the Church's mission along with Walton's lost book on Genesis. Here is a site that is very helpful as well....the 7 days are merely symbolic of Temple ordinace.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:56 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,075,506 times
Quote:
I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth by the way. Please correct me if I am.

No, you're not putting words into my mouth, but you must understand that I'm not among those who think the creation story is literal. It teaches important, basic principles in story form (much like the parables of Jesus), but I see no reason to believe it was 7 days in the sense we understand that now.

However, setting aside the 7th day as a day of rest and worshipping God, I DO think is literal simply because it makes so much common, temporal sense.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 PM

3,582 posts, read 460,282 times
Quote:
Stillkit from what it sounds like to me God's commandment is that we work the same six days as God did and take an equal day of rest, the sabbath day. I guess the length of day could change depending on context, but the actual commandment refers to the period of time described in genesis so it would appear both time spans would be equal. (unless this is another part of the bible to not be taken literally, which would be rather odd. You would think the ten commandments should be straightforward with no room for debate). Meerkat I see your point that the 7 days could be a reference to points in life, that the 7th day could be that of the afterlife, entrance into heaven. Life would be the six days of work. In that sense then genesis would literally not point to any limited span of time at all, just the period of work. This would bring my interest to the number six then, because if that were true what would be the point of it?
The bible uses numbers, metaphors, figures of speech, etc all the way through -- I would say that the point would be to communicate ideas to us...... It would be symbolic.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM

Symbolic of what though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity