Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM

63,406 posts, read 39,657,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Jesus's promises are trustworthy and true. Do what He said to be saved, and for sure you will be saved. No question about it!
Amen. He saved us ALL and we just need to build on His foundation and "love God and each other" . . . a very light burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
IMO. man was "elected" before he was created..He chose each and every one of us..None of us is better or more beloved by Him than any other person.

God is not human although some people make every effort to mold Him to our ways, our thoughts and our self glorification..

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM

16 posts, read 18,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
God tell us not to go beyond what is written 1 Corinthians 4:6.

Scripture doesn't teach that God predestins \ elects people to hell ("a different fate)", it just doesn't. That would be using human reasoning which we are not to do. Proverbs 3:5

The teaching of election (predestination) is for the Christians comfort and reassurance. God is exactly telling us the answer in your question. God is in effect saying...
Christian .... don't let Satan throw doubt into you about your salvation.
You can know for sure that you are part of my kingdom.

There's a lot of human reasoning when it comes to interpreting the scripture. Logically, if God predestines some to be the elect there is an automatic implication that there is some that God doesn't predestine to be the elect. Unless, of course, God predestines everyone to be the elect.

You asking me to believe in predestination, yet you don't want us questioning precisely how we can make our election sure?

I Cor. 4:6 only tells me we should not think beyond what is written. Yet there is much written about this area. Am I just supposed to ignore it? Particularly in such an important subject as salvation?

Perhaps, then I should word the question differently.

How do you know if your NOT one of the 'elect'?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,420,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi64 View Post
There's a lot of human reasoning when it comes to interpreting the scripture. Logically, if God predestines some to be the elect there is an automatic implication that there is some that God doesn't predestine to be the elect. Unless, of course, God predestines everyone to be the elect.

You asking me to believe in predestination, yet you don't want us questioning precisely how we can make our election sure?

I Cor. 4:6 only tells me we should not think beyond what is written. Yet there is much written about this area. Am I just supposed to ignore it? Particularly in such an important subject as salvation?

Perhaps, then I should word the question differently.

How do you know if your NOT one of the 'elect'?
Again your first paragraph is all based on human conclusions.
No...it does not mean automatically there is an implication of an opposite action by God.
There is no "of course" solution as the way you presented it and contrary to Miss Blue solution ..God did not "elect" (as understood as predestination) every person.

Paul admits that we only "know in part". 1 Corinthians 13:9.
No one ever admits that scripture answers every question one may have.
The Godly reaction to not knowing is "being content in any and every situation"

How do you know if you're part of the elect...? (and keeping this in the context of correct belief of Jesus)

> The correct confession of Jesus Romans 10:9-10
> Trusting in God's promise
Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription:
“The Lord knows those who are his,†and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.â€
2 Timothy 2:19

Last edited by twin.spin; 06-10-2011 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: spacing ... sure wish we could have WYSIWYG availability

Old 06-10-2011, 01:29 PM

16 posts, read 18,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Again your first paragraph is all based on human conclusions.
No...it does not mean automatically there is an implication of an opposite action by God.
There is no "of course" solution as the way you presented it and contrary to Miss Blue solution ..God did not "elect" (as understood as predestination) every person.
If God did not elect everyperson, how then can you not come to that conclusion that there isn't the implication that there are some whom God does not elect?

Or perhaps you mean that even though God chose some to save, since we all needed saving, those who were not chosen are no worse position than before God's election? In other words, it's God's passive inaction that these people are still doomed.

Quote:
Paul admits that we only "know in part". 1 Corinthians 13:9.
No one ever admits that scripture answers every question one may have.
The Godly reaction to not knowing is "being content in any and every situation"

But in the area of salvation I would think that would be a vital question that needs to be answered, don't you?

Quote:
How do you know if you're part of the elect...? (and keeping this in the context of correct belief of Jesus)

> The correct confession of Jesus Romans 10:9-10
> Trusting in God's promise
Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription:
“The Lord knows those who are his,†and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.â€
2 Timothy 2:19
Is turning away from one's wickness the evidence of salvation? How do we get the witness that we are His?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:35 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,399,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The elect were NOT CHOSEN . The elect did the choosing. They chose to follow the true Christ and walk in his righteousness.
Isa 45:4 disagrees.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 PM

9,663 posts, read 9,923,358 times
All men are called to be the elect of the Lord for the gift of salvation is offered to all men , and if you know the Lord heart of anti-condemnation from men is a proof The Lord waits for the slacker to give His life ....... In Matthew 24:21-24..... Jesus said ..``For then will be great tribulation such as was not since the beginning pf the world to this time no nor ever will be .... And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved, for the ELECT`S sake those days will be shortened.... For there will arise false prophets, and will shew great signs, and wonders in so much that if it were possible , they will deceive the very ELECT....``

Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM

33 posts, read 49,424 times
Quote:
For those of you who subscribe to the idea that God elects some to heaven while the rest are consigned to a different fate, how do you know for sure that you, yourselves are part of the elect?

If you are a disciple of Jesus you are part of the elect!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
"No one comes to me except the Father call him" . . . do you remember that scripture, Taratova? What is this "true" Christ you speak of? There is ONLY ONE Christ . . . ONLY ONE God. You use the precepts of men to claim that Christ is the author of the OT and claim the entire Bible is God . . . Christ never says so . . and He did say "You have been told . . . BUT I SAY . . ." You have been seriously misled about God and Christ. BTW . . . you do not CHOOSE what you TRULY believe. You can only choose between alternatives when you do NOT truly believe in either of them.
Well said.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,420,199 times
Quote:
If God did not elect everyperson, how then can you not come to that conclusion that there isn't the implication that there are some whom God does not elect?
For the simple reason that accusations aren't from the lips of faith. The Godly understanding shouldn't be .......why not them, rather why me.

If you're not content with the fact that from scripture God elects the believer but not the unbeliever, I can't give an answer that isn't beyond what is written.

Quote:
Is turning away from one's wickness the evidence of salvation?
Yes .... it's call "fruit of faith".

Quote:
How do we get the witness that we are His?
"Faith comes from hearing, and hearing from the word of God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity