Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Maybe that should tell you something..... Katjonjj !! And no it has nothing to do with the "catchy title," and I say that kindly.....

We are the only one who creates what our reputation will be..... it truly has nothing to do with our intelligence either, we can be the smartest or the dumbest creatures, it is our actions in how we interact, converse and treat other's.

If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.
For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.
BUT, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
(Gal.5:25-26; 13-15;22-24)

A person truly reaps what they have sown..... I so believe whatever we do to other's it will most definitely come back in the way we gave out and if it is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control that is what people, believer's or unbeliever's respect and find us faithful. BUT, whatever it is.... that is what will come back to us..... (and I so know this) !!!

Blessings and much love to you, Katjonjj !!
I was being sarcastic.... And showing how ironic it is that there were two pages anticipating what crimes I've committed by the OP when I hadn't even posted or responded since then....

Anyone can see by my quote under my name that I think debate of scholars increases wisdom....

However... I also think what you've said is irrelevant to the topic at hand....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Correct.... So "I am" is not God's name but his description. He told Moses what his name was... It's pretty clear. I guess my question then is... Why do Christian confuse the two and use the passage in Exodus as proof that his name is I Am?
Actuually no Kat...I pointed out that "it is his name..." among the others as well....He has many names, as we have seen in the Bible, but it was this one particular name AND description, Moses was told to say, so that his countrymen would believe it was He who sent Him. For the name of God, Yahweh (YHWH) to become "I AM" (AHYH) requires a very minor change of Hebrew letters...thus...it is a rendition of His actual name.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 06-12-2011 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Actuually no Kat...I pointed out that "it is his name..." among the others as well....He has many names, as we have seen in the Bible, but it was this one particular name AND description, Moses was told to say, so that his countrymen would believe it was He who sent Him. For the name of God, Yahweh (YHWH) to become "I AM" (AHYH) requires a very minor change of Hebrew letters...thus...it is a rendition of His actual name.
Ok. I must've read your response wrong...

The problem I have with that is the context. This wasn't a case where the well know god named I AM is being identified again... The people were slaves, all but forgotten, as they thought, by their god. The god identifies himself as the one who existed and still exists...and the name they can reference later is YHWH, not I AM.

It's like my children being taken from me only to meet up later and I say...it is me the one who always was your mother, my name is....you wouldn't think my children would call me "the one who was always my mother"...

Perhaps not the best analogy but perhaps you see my point.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 PM

Hey Kat...yes I understand....what really ties this people and them "knowing" God would come back for them...the God of Jacob, is they were promised, and clearly we see that it was carried down as a promise in Gen 50 And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence....so you see, God promised He would come back for them. So if Moses said I am who I am/I am He/etc sent me, and then rattled off all the other names of God stated in Exo 3.....people like Aaron and his contemporaries, who knew the prophecy/legend, and for the life of them, haven't heard a thing since the Pharaoh that knew Joseph not for some 400 years...the lightbulb undoubtedly went off in everyone's heads....deliverance! But they were cautious...they needed signs...God gave them....blessings to you.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 06-12-2011 at 06:49 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Ok. I must've read your response wrong...

The problem I have with that is the context. This wasn't a case where the well know god named I AM is being identified again... The people were slaves, all but forgotten, as they thought, by their god. The god identifies himself as the one who existed and still exists...and the name they can reference later is YHWH, not I AM.

It's like my children being taken from me only to meet up later and I say...it is me the one who always was your mother, my name is....you wouldn't think my children would call me "the one who was always my mother"...

Perhaps not the best analogy but perhaps you see my point.
You are correct, Kat . . . and all this debate over names is moot. The atheists refer to "what has always existed" as "Nature" or the "Universe" . . . or whatever. There is ONLY ONE BEING that IS God and God is ALL . . . ancient tribal deities notwithstanding.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are correct, Kat . . . and all this debate over names is moot. The atheists refer to "what has always existed" as "Nature" or the "Universe" . . . or whatever. There is ONLY ONE BEING that IS God and God is ALL . . . ancient tribal deities notwithstanding.
To sciota and mystic:

So would you say, IYO, that any name you call god is valid? Or on the other hand, would you say that Jesus saying "I Am (he)" equates to Jesus stating He is God, and therefore anyone declaring that name or description is God?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
To sciota and mystic:

So would you say, IYO, that any name you call god is valid? Or on the other hand, would you say that Jesus saying "I Am (he)" equates to Jesus stating He is God, and therefore anyone declaring that name or description is God?
I wouldn't go as far as that (bolded), but as far as Jesus is concerned, He claimed that, based on the names and characteristics in which God is recognized in the Bible, the recorded literature about God's preliminary and substantiary dealings with man, through Israel via Adam. How I see it is that, Israel was chosen, or better yet, Adam was chosen to rep God. Through Adam to Zerubbabel, pre-empted by John the Baptist, we have a history, of God's working through a people to come to know the omni/etc creator of the universe(s). He promises this people, who were supposed to reveal Him to the world, that He would come and redeem them. They didn't reveal Him to the world, so He came and removed their priesthood, and gave it those who called on His name. This happened in Christ. Now His priesthood and kingship is in every Christian that confesses(ed) His name with their circumcised heart, and made every attempt they could without succumbing to their sins (which happens to everyone.) This is why God, had to come in the form of man, to show that He is God...and that He could do what no other "man" could do....anointed with the Holy Sprit or not...just think Peter. His own rabbi, master etc etc, and He sinned against Him....I mean He knew who He was! And He still forsook Him, on several occasions. That why it so essential to understand that Christ is God manifest in the flesh, in order to become and effective servant for the Lord and God of the Bible.

Now as far as the rest of those apart from that service, we are supposed to attract them with our love and humility, so that those He moves in to service from us through Christ, can keep on loving and showing how awesome He really is. But it is all the jargon about hell, and afterlife, and etc etc, which was really NEVER the point to any of it. Yeah sure, we survive death, we are "caught up" to be forever with the Lord....but as far as "other" religions and faiths, they are all (those true to their sentimental faith) trying to get closer to the God, who revealed Himself to the Israelites/Adam, to live life in love and humility with their fellow brethren, but never in any way does the scriptures denote that they will experience an afterlife dissimilar, or even similar, to that of those who are in service to the God of the Bible.

It is moot.

Personally, the universe is a powerful creation of God, I mean he is the architect of what we so blisteringly try and understand empirically and spiritually...perhaps the soul/spirit dimension, is the fundamental tie that binds all creation. It is through this order, and the fundamental aspects of existing matter, that already has life in and of itself, but is closer to, or far much more rewarding, for those who are saved to serve Jesus. But that is another thread....maybe.

Blessings.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 06-12-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:19 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times
God the One is individualized for each person and that name is I AM, the Presence that is uniwue to each person. The only permanent passage to heaven is through the individualized I AM Presence. No it is not merely a God that rules over all of us but One who is your very own boss.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
To sciota and mystic:

So would you say, IYO, that any name you call god is valid?
The bold is a very complex question, Kat . . . because everything is determined by our inner intent (state of mind) . . . not our intellectual cognition. This so poorly understood that a lay audience is just apt to misconstrue and misunderstand any answer. This would be especially true for the more superstitious among the flock who are focused on intellectual content instead of inner Soul content . . . the "believe IN" crowd versus the "believe ON" crowd. You know the ones who think we can be worshiping pagan gods by virtue of what we are using to celebrate . . . like Christmas trees, etc. They do not comprehend that it is our intent . . . not the externalities that determine who or what we are worshiping. I have faith you are insightful enough to get the answer you seek from this.

Your other concerns I have addressed elsewhere many times using consciousness (Spirit) as the essence of "personhood" to eliminate all the confusion surrounding the Trinity issue. It does not seem to resonate with you.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
To sciota and mystic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I wouldn't go as far as that (bolded), but as far as Jesus is concerned, He claimed that, based on the names and characteristics in which God is recognized in the Bible, the recorded literature about God's preliminary and substantiary dealings with man, through Israel via Adam. How I see it is that, Israel was chosen, or better yet, Adam was chosen to rep God. Through Adam to Zerubbabel, pre-empted by John the Baptist, we have a history, of God's working through a people to come to know the omni/etc creator of the universe(s). He promises this people, who were supposed to reveal Him to the world, that He would come and redeem them. They didn't reveal Him to the world, so He came and removed their priesthood, and gave it those who called on His name. This happened in Christ. Now His priesthood and kingship is in every Christian that confesses(ed) His name with their circumcised heart, and made every attempt they could without succumbing to their sins (which happens to everyone.) This is why God, had to come in the form of man, to show that He is God...and that He could do what no other "man" could do....
But Christ (or God as the case may be) said that men sould be like him and can be like him. That seems an unfair advantage if in fact Christ is God. Would'nt you say? BUT, if Christ is a man and STILL managed to accomplish this " what no other 'man' could do" then I can safely day I can achieve that. I will never be a god. I'm pretty sure of that. So if Christ was in fact God, then he is asking us the impossible. IMO.

Quote:
anointed with the Holy Sprit or not...just think Peter. His own rabbi, master etc etc, and He sinned against Him....I mean He knew who He was! And He still forsook Him, on several occasions. That why it so essential to understand that Christ is God manifest in the flesh, in order to become and effective servant for the Lord and God of the Bible.
Shouldnt Peter have known Jesus was God, if in fact that was true? He was right there. Or was it so obscure...hidden, that Peter was unaware that God himself was on earth as Christ???

Quote:
Now as far as the rest of those apart from that service, we are supposed to attract them with our love and humility, so that those He moves in to service from us through Christ, can keep on loving and showing how awesome He really is. But it is all the jargon about hell, and afterlife, and etc etc, which was really NEVER the point to any of it. Yeah sure, we survive death, we are "caught up" to be forever with the Lord....but as far as "other" religions and faiths, they are all (those true to their sentimental faith) trying to get closer to the God, who revealed Himself to the Israelites/Adam, to live life in love and humility with their fellow brethren, but never in any way does the scriptures denote that they will experience an afterlife dissimilar, or even similar, to that of those who are in service to the God of the Bible.

It is moot.
I may have lost you... Let me know.
Are you saying that the point of calling God "God" is moot?

I personally think a person could call me a dirty word if I were God and it wouldn't matter in the slightest. God wouldn't be listening to our mouths but our hearts were he is shown the Real picture of us.

So does it matter whether his name is Allah, Baal, Bible, Jesus, George???

Quote:
Personally, the universe is a powerful creation of God, I mean he is the architect of what we so blisteringly try and understand empirically and spiritually...perhaps the soul/spirit dimension, is the fundamental tie that binds all creation. It is through this order, and the fundamental aspects of existing matter, that already has life in and of itself, but is closer to, or far much more rewarding, for those who are saved to serve Jesus. But that is another thread....maybe.

Blessings.
No, I think it applies... However, I think that the bigger picture is that we should serve love above all, even doctrine.

Love serves a purpose, the bible says God is love, and every religion has love as a component. Love is above all gods, IMO.

I personally don't believe a god, if such a thing exists gains anything from being a human. It serves no greater purpose relating to love. Jesus could have been a great man OF God, as the prophets were and yet just as human and god-like as you and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity