U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
 
1,611 posts, read 1,026,438 times
Reputation: 759

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Any one could make the same argument for the things that they do wrong. "Hey, I am born this way". As to your analogy of people's skin color, that makes no sense whatsoever. One's skin tone has nothing to do with right and wrong.

Ones unchosen sexual orientation also has nothing to do with right or wrong. That was the point of my post. NO unchosen birth traits have anything to do with right or wrong. but you think MY SEXUAL orientation DOES for some strange reason but not yours.

AGain, you proove you don't 'get it'. Being gay isn't "doing' anything. I've been gay my whole life and have bartely even dated. If i was celibate I"d still be gay. NOTHING can change that. I was BORN that way.

How come it's easy to understand heterosexuality as an orientation for you but not homosexuality?

I have a teenage nephew who is a virgin but he's a HETEROSEXUAL. He doens't have to have sex to become one.

Also, doing something wrong (even if we do have sex) entails HURTING someone. Something is 'wrong' because it causes harm to someone else.

If I'm dating someone and we both are in love and want to have sex it doesn't qualify as 'doing something wrong' any more than when heterosexual people have sex with someone they're in love wiht.

That's like saying that giving a poor person money is 'doing something wrong'.


What is 'wrong' than to you?

LOVING someone who ALSO loves you is wrong?

Sounds like you have a topsly turvey idea of what is right and wrong.

 
Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
 
Location: USA
5,761 posts, read 2,185,935 times
Reputation: 788
The way I currently look at it is this ... if one's sexual orientation is not spiritually healthy for them to "indulge" in, then they will either discover that for themselves and abstain, or they will live in denial and, unfortunately, have to deal with the consequences. Personally, if I found that I could not be monogomous or if I was inclined to participate in any risky (physically or emotionally, for me or anyone else) sexual behavior, or if in any way I found I was not at peace, I'd be compelled to look within and find the reason why. That applies whether I am homo- or hetero-.

I further trust that each person must and will follow their own heart, no matter what I say. And that's a good thing.
 
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM
 
1,901 posts, read 1,112,308 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
EXACTLY. you are a hundred percent correct. These people can't honestly see that there are others who are just innately 'different' from them, so they think that we're 'doing something wrong'. I wish they'd understand that it's no different than saying 'i don't agree with blackness' or the 'black lifestyle' and then being angry with black people for having black skin and calling it a sin.
It is a horrendous insult to some to compare gayness to blacks. It is abusive. It insinuates that black is mutant. Absence of melanin is mutancy. Blacks have suffered enough humiliation and abuse in this country without piling on more to it.
 
Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM
 
1,611 posts, read 1,026,438 times
Reputation: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It is a horrendous insult to some to compare gayness to blacks. It is abusive. It insinuates that black is mutant. Absence of melanin is mutancy. Blacks have suffered enough humiliation and abuse in this country without piling on more to it.
I think it's a horrendous insult when someone says it's a horrendous insult. Basically what you're saying is that we're so despised that we 'bring down' or 'humiliate' black people by comparison to us icky gay people. Don't you understand that it's YOU who is doing tine INSULTING? just by SAYING THAT?

And being gay and black are VERY RIGHTFULLY comparable and should be since they're both unchosen traits that are descriminated against.

WHat if unchosen traits were discussed by a black person and they compared it to being gay. should i be psychologically abusive like you and say 'how dare these disgusting blacks, compare themselve to me?
 
Old 06-13-2011, 02:30 PM
 
1,901 posts, read 1,112,308 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I think it's a horrendous insult when someone says it's a horrendous insult. Basically what you're saying is that we're so despised that we 'bring down' or 'humiliate' black people by comparison to us icky gay people. Don't you understand that it's YOU who is doing tine INSULTING? just by SAYING THAT?

And being gay and black are VERY RIGHTFULLY comparable and should be since they're both unchosen traits that are descriminated against.

WHat if unchosen traits were discussed by a black person and they compared it to being gay. should i be psychologically abusive like you and say 'how dare these disgusting blacks, compare themselve to me?
Hopefully no blacks will compare themselves with you.

Continue on.
 
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
 
1,611 posts, read 1,026,438 times
Reputation: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Hopefully no blacks will compare themselves with you.

Continue on.

I wouldn't care if they did. We are both born with a trait that is in the minority and we are both descriminated agaisnt NOT because of anything we did wrong but because the way God created us.

So if they want to compare themselve to me.. I wouldn't mind. However, I wouldn't denigrate them for doing so.
 
Old 06-13-2011, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Albany, NY
724 posts, read 293,393 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It is a horrendous insult to some to compare gayness to blacks. It is abusive. It insinuates that black is mutant. Absence of melanin is mutancy. Blacks have suffered enough humiliation and abuse in this country without piling on more to it.
Blacks have suffered persecution for hundreds of years for something unchosen. Gays have suffered persecution for thousands of years for something unchosen.

Btw, gays aren't mutants. THAT is insulting.
 
Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM
 
1,901 posts, read 1,112,308 times
Reputation: 320
Black is like being born black.
Gay is whatever you say it is . It has nothing to do with the black race with exception that there are black gays.
 
Old 06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Albany, NY
724 posts, read 293,393 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Black is like being born black.
Gay is whatever you say it is . It has nothing to do with the black race with exception that there are black gays.
That made no sense. Gay is unchangeable. Black is unchangeable. Both have been oppressed and persecuted for a long time, except gays have been for thousands of years longer. You just can't see gay as easily as race. The fact that there are black gays points to just how universal it is to be gay in the first place. It's found in every race, religion, culture, country, city, probably family, etc. Either way, the two traits are certainly comparable. The civil rights struggles faced by both groups are even more easily comparable.
 
Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM
 
1,901 posts, read 1,112,308 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
That made no sense. Gay is unchangeable. Black is unchangeable. Both have been oppressed and persecuted for a long time, except gays have been for thousands of years longer. You just can't see gay as easily as race. The fact that there are black gays points to just how universal it is to be gay in the first place. It's found in every race, religion, culture, country, city, probably family, etc. Either way, the two traits are certainly comparable. The civil rights struggles faced by both groups are even more easily comparable.
The two are not comparable and it is unwarranted to compare them but, I understand in this take no prisoners enviroment any and all measures will be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top