Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

PHOENIX – Members of the Southern Baptist Convention elected an African-American pastor to its No. 2 position for the first time on Tuesday, signifying an effort to diversify its leadership and flock at a time of declines in overall membership and church attendance.

Fred Luter Jr., the head pastor of Franklin Avenue Baptist Church in New Orleans, was elected with 1,558 votes, or 77 percent.

Southern Baptists elect black pastor to No. 2 post - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,384 times
Boy this is a catch 22 news story, I guess it is good to see that white trash religion is starting to change, sad because it seems that the white trash may be forced into compromising their stance because they need more people to put money in the offering plates.

Yep, that settles it , the Southern Baptists are still run by white trash

Old 06-18-2011, 07:45 AM

69 posts, read 177,688 times
Quote:
Boy this is a catch 22 news story, I guess it is good to see that white trash religion is starting to change, sad because it seems that the white trash may be forced into compromising their stance because they need more people to put money in the offering plates.

Yep, that settles it , the Southern Baptists are still run by white trash
You are right about that. Finally a small change in one of the most backward, racist, and legalistic denominations. If the SBC wants to be taken seriously across the country, they must drop the word "SOUTHERN" from their name. They also need to take the southern culture out of their church. BTW, The only reason the Southern Baptist Convention exists is because a bunch of rich, old, fat white guys thought it was Gods will to own slaves and split with the Northern Baptist Church (I think its actually called the American Baptist Church now)

I am from Ohio and very northern. It is funny when they try to get me to come to their church. Despite I disagree with pretty much everything they believe in, I just tell them I'm not into their southern sounding hymns, exagerrated southern accent preachers yelling, ect. You are not going to get someone from the midwest, northeast, west, ect. to go to your church if its infested with southern culture.

I also do not like the far-right Republican politics of the SBC. I was a moderate Republican at one time but am now a Libertarian. Preachers telling you that you will go to Hell for voting for a certain candidate is wrong.

I'm a Conservative Catholic and the diversity in the church is great. My parish has 3 Priests. The "Pastor" is fron Spain, The "Vicar" is from Mexico, and the "Assisting Priest" is white from Coral Gables. One of our deacons is from Haiti. My have a mix of white, hispanic, indian, phillipino(sp), and asian at our parish.

Sorry for rambling on but I come from a family that is heavily Baptist and have been the victim of their faith most of my life. I'm not sure how far back the Baptist line goes on that side of the family but I broke the line. I was also never a Baptist.

-Pat Healey
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity