Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,030,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Matthew 7:13
Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
It is NOT "Few will EVER find it" as your post seems to imply. It was spoken by Jesus in the present tense. There were few finding it AT THAT TIME. To say it says other than the PRESENT TENSE is to preach a different Jesus. So to say it mean that Few will EVER find it (Future tense) is to put works in Jesus mouth. So be sure to understand the tenses. A Greek parser will often show you the proper tenses.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
[quote=pcamps;19713540] Moderator cut: orphaned
God does draw all people to Himself at the appropriate time, but they still have the right to reject Him.

Quote:
Jesus also told them to search the scriptures for in them(the scriptures) you think(like christendom thinks,but err's in it's thinking)you have eternal life,but they are they which testify of me.
Moderator cut: delete. The scriptures reveal Christ to us and show us the Good News of salvation, but it does not and cannot impart salvation by itself.

Quote:
The scriptures testify of Jesus Christ(For confirmation of this read Luke 24 and listen to the testimony of the 2 men on the road to Emmaus). The reason the Jew and fundies err in the scriptures is simply because it fails to see Jesus Christ in them, what the fundy see's is a re-ash of Judaism,with the name of Jesus thrown in for good measure.
Moderator cut: personal
Quote:
The Law came through Moses,but grace and truth(the reality of who God IS) through Jesus Christ.
Yes, the law came through Moses and Christ came to fulfill that law, which He did and still does. We are to do likewise.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-23-2011 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Moderator cut: warning

many posts have been edited or deleted due to off topic/flame or insulting responses. Please try to be a little nicer to each other.
Thank you for listening..

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-23-2011 at 09:25 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think the answer to this may be both simpler and also deeper than the traditional mythical understanding of Christianty would indicate.

I have a question for you: What do you believe being "saved" means? From what are people in need of being saved?
Thanks for the reps. In all honesty, I'm becoming more and more skeptical, so I'm not really sure anymore what being 'saved' means.

I am sure that God does not seem to want to clarify it for me or anyone else and we'll just have to find out once we die.

So much for being 'sure'.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It is NOT "Few will EVER find it" as your post seems to imply. It was spoken by Jesus in the present tense. There were few finding it AT THAT TIME. To say it says other than the PRESENT TENSE is to preach a different Jesus. So to say it mean that Few will EVER find it (Future tense) is to put works in Jesus mouth. So be sure to understand the tenses. A Greek parser will often show you the proper tenses.
I'd say the bigger question is whether *you* personally found the way and if so, what makes you think you found the right path?

If you are a Catholic, you found the path! But that path is considered wrong path by Protestants.

If you are Jehovah's Witness, that path is going to be different from other branches of Christianity. Ditto for Mormonism.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I'd say the bigger question is whether *you* personally found the way and if so, what makes you think you found the right path?

If you are a Catholic, you found the path! But that path is considered wrong path by Protestants.

If you are Jehovah's Witness, that path is going to be different from other branches of Christianity. Ditto for Mormonism.

I think the path is love. Its what God commanded. Its what Christ taught us to do. Its what God is. Its how we know we are following God.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
No. Only those who believe in him will be saved. That's the point of free will. What part of Christ dying on the cross for our sins don't you understand? If all could be saved, he wouldn't have had to die. Heaven help you cause I don't know what else to say.
Actually, Jesus sacrifice is a part of what will bring about the belief of every single human being who has ever lived.

What part of Jesus is the Saviour of the world don't YOU understand?

Free will is why each of our journeys is different. Proverbs 16:9 man devises a way but God directs his steps. Don't tell me that God directs mans steps to eternal damnation silly. Just where will God direct someones steps?

To his Glory thats where.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
I was recently reading all the recent news headlines such as the fight for gay marriage and putting God out of our government and so many disheartening things that are coming about that I feel are the beginning of the end of our nation. So many God-haters commenting as well. Someone put out a quote from the Bible which touched my heart but grieved my soul at the same time because I knew what it said was true.

Matthew 7:13
Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

God said only a few find it!! I pray and urge all the Christians here to please make sure you are on the narrow road! The sad reality is many many people will be ending up in Hell! There is nothing you can do to change this reality but get yourself ready!! The Lord will be coming soon and that will be the end of all these arguments and fights between believers and unbeliever! If any Christian here today has any amount of pride, repent and rebuke it in the name of Jesus! Pride is a poison!!! It is the #1 reason people are in Hell! Pride is the exact thing that Satan had when he rebelled against the holy God! Please get rid of your pride and turn to Christ!! Pride only leads you on the road to Hell!

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

I urge you this because I noticed how some people on this forum are pride-filled and full of a mocking spirit! I notice this especially within our Christian forum! Do not be like unbelievers! They have blinded themselves to the truth! Wake up out of your worldly slumber and be ready to see the Lord! One of us could die any one of these days and never return to this forum again! Be sure you have forgiven the ones who you hurt and repented so you can see the kingdom of God! More than 150,000 people die each day! Most of whom have headed to Hell because they refuse to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and savior! Jesus says only a few find the narrow way to life!! Please repent and be on it! I pray for all of you and hope you choose the way to eternal life! He is coming soon! There isn't much time left!
This is all true. Thank you for posting it.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I think the path is love. Its what God commanded. Its what Christ taught us to do. Its what God is. Its how we know we are following God.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Thanks for the reps. In all honesty, I'm becoming more and more skeptical, so I'm not really sure anymore what being 'saved' means.

I am sure that God does not seem to want to clarify it for me or anyone else and we'll just have to find out once we die.

So much for being 'sure'.
I do agree ... we'll only find out anything for sure when we die (or not, if there is no afterlife, in which case we'll know nothing). However, from my perspective Lego's post is the answer that allows me to live in peace with that uncertainty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
GOD IS LOVE. For me, that answers every question I ever have.

Do I need to be saved from "eternal damnation"? No, because a God who IS Love could never conceive of such a thing as eternal torment for creatures whom He loves.

Do I need to be saved from God's judgment of my sin? No, because God's judgments proceed from his nature: LOVE. Therefore, any judgment will serve a good and loving purpose.

So, I don't know if there's an afterlife, and if there is, I don't know if I will still need judgment/correction (I would assume so, however) but even if there is, I don't fear that. I trust the God who IS LOVE, implicitly.

What I DO know, from experience, is that the saving I absolutely am in need of, is saving from sin (beliefs and actions born out of non-love). And I believe that "Jesus" is the one that SAVES. Could Jesus be a mythical figure, or could some of the stories around him be entirely fabricated? I realize I'll likely get flamed for saying this, but I'm not all certain one way or the other, but I don't think it really matters. Because the story, real or mythical, is what has, as pcamps said in his post, removed the veil from my eyes.

Because of "Jesus" I see God for what God IS: LOVE. And it is that understanding that saves me from sin in my life. LOVE is what changes me from the inside out. LOVE is what allowed me to see that I believed some really horrendous things about God that did damage to me, kept me defeated, and impacted how I saw myself and the people around me in a very negative way.

So, at the times when I believe a God exists, I am never afraid of that God or his plans for me and everyone else, whatever those plans may include. And at the times when I am most skeptical about whether or not "God" even really exists, I still am not afraid, because I trust the power of LOVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity