Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I'd like to ask all Christian believers here whether you expect to have better communication with God in heaven vs the one you have here on earth.

The Christians in my circle definitely expect things to be better once they get to heaven. They say that when they get there, they'll speak with God and get answers to all their questions. Everything will be made well.

However, I'm somewhat baffled but this expectation. After all, should not there be somewhat similar relationship with God in the here and now?

Since the believers are a new creation, having the Spirit of Christ in them who enables better understanding of the spiritual things a believer should be pretty set in *this* life, should they not?
1 Corinthians 2:13-15

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. 14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.

Why does God want believers to die physically before He starts responding to all questions in a clear and concise manner?
To be objective, can you not see the inherent danger for humans to expect that God will bow to human demands for answers?

Somebody runs the show ...... and somebody needs to be content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
To be objective, can you not see the inherent danger for humans to expect that God will bow to human demands for answers?

Somebody runs the show ...... and somebody needs to be content.
This questions sounds to me like you see a danger in taking Jesus' promises literally!

But, if you don't take them literally, what *can you* take literally then?

Not asking God to bow to me, but simply provide an objective confirmation that He is there! Why can't God talk to me? God can simply appear in my car as a fellow human when I'm driving from work and we can talk about theology.

Is this too much to ask of an omni-potent God, who supposedly visited planet Earth 2000 years ago and made the promise of eternal life to everyone who believes in Him.?

But in addition to those promises, Jesus also made other promises, like answering prayer, even the impossible ones! (Like moving mountains).

Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
"Moving mountains" might just a figure of speech, like "being born again."

Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
"Moving mountains" might just a figure of speech, like "being born again."
I understand. But at any rate, the figure of speech probably means that there is nothing impossible, as allegedly proven by Jesus.

So, if someone died, don't worry. Resurrection is possible.

Sick beyond the ability of modern medicine to help? Again, what's the problem, Jesus is the healer.

Makes a great sermon, but is this really true in the everyday life?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
This questions sounds to me like you see a danger in taking Jesus' promises literally!

But, if you don't take them literally, what *can you* take literally then?

Not asking God to bow to me, but simply provide an objective confirmation that He is there! Why can't God talk to me? God can simply appear in my car as a fellow human when I'm driving from work and we can talk about theology.

Is this too much to ask of an omni-potent God, who supposedly visited planet Earth 2000 years ago and made the promise of eternal life to everyone who believes in Him.?

But in addition to those promises, Jesus also made other promises, like answering prayer, even the impossible ones! (Like moving mountains).
There is no amount of proof acceptable for the skeptics .... and there is no proof needed for the believers. God did simply appear as a fellow human being.

Regarding prayer...Jesus said:
"We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will."

"For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.â€

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is no amount of proof acceptable for the skeptics .... and there is no proof needed for the believers. God did simply appear as a fellow human being.

Regarding prayer...Jesus said:
"We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly man who does his will."

"For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

What nonsense is your first statement. NO amount of proof is acceptable to skeptics? What amount of *proof* is there?
I do buy the intelligent design arguments. But what proof is there that Jesus is real?

Thanks for those quotes. But the questions remain. Not asking just about ME, but about real believers to whom supposedly God listens to, per your quote.

What exactly is it that YOU can accomplish that a skeptic cannot that would prove that God listens to you?

If moving a mountain (impossibility) is possible with God, just for the asking of the "right" person, then where is that person?

Or, may be one needs to 'have eyes to see' the mountain move, right?

The dead are being raised all the time, it's just that the skeptics don't want to see it.

I think I'm starting to get this.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:58 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
What nonsense is your first statement. NO amount of proof is acceptable to skeptics? What amount of *proof* is there?
I do buy the intelligent design arguments. But what proof is there that Jesus is real?

Thanks for those quotes. But the questions remain. Not asking just about ME, but about real believers to whom supposedly God listens to, per your quote.

What exactly is it that YOU can accomplish that a skeptic cannot that would prove that God listens to you?

If moving a mountain (impossibility) is possible with God, just for the asking of the "right" person, then where is that person?

Or, may be one needs to 'have eyes to see' the mountain move, right?

The dead are being raised all the time, it's just that the skeptics don't want to see it.

I think I'm starting to get this.
For me, the confirmation is the change I've personally experienced in my own life. I struggled for years with anger, rage and I was a really bad liar. I tried on my own to change, but I failed countless times. When I surrendered my life to Him, He changed me 180 degrees. I am a totally different person than I used to be. Also, God has answered so many of my prayers. I had horrible pain in my sciatic nerve for years. I was prayed over and the pain immediately left. There are so many stories I could tell. God is so good!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
christians, do you expect better communication with god in heaven?
YES!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
For me, the confirmation is the change I've personally experienced in my own life. I struggled for years with anger, rage and I was a really bad liar. I tried on my own to change, but I failed countless times. When I surrendered my life to Him, He changed me 180 degrees. I am a totally different person than I used to be. Also, God has answered so many of my prayers. I had horrible pain in my sciatic nerve for years. I was prayed over and the pain immediately left. There are so many stories I could tell. God is so good!
That's great that you have experienced change, but if what you are saying is true, then we have no need for Christian ministries anymore, do we?

Also, when you say that you have changed 180 degrees, does it mean that you are now a 'good person'? Because it's not kosher to consider yourself non-totally depraved in some circles. Ideally, you'd see more and more sin in your life as you are 'growing closer to God'.

And it's great that prayer worked for your pain. (It does not seem to work for my father in law who has a herniated disc and who is very religious). The prayer also did not help a young mother in our church who passed away at 30 years of age from cancer even though the whole church prayed for her healing (surely, someone had faith at least as big as a mustard seed)

Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
I understand. But at any rate, the figure of speech probably means that there is nothing impossible, as allegedly proven by Jesus.

So, if someone died, don't worry. Resurrection is possible.

Sick beyond the ability of modern medicine to help? Again, what's the problem, Jesus is the healer.

Makes a great sermon, but is this really true in the everyday life?
I think so. Miracles happen, but the cynics always find a way to ignore them when they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity