U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 AM

10,177 posts, read 10,538,351 times

Advertisements

I hope people here don't think I'm trying to flog a dead horse by bringing this up again, and I promise I am not asking this as a veiled challenge to the ET'ers to "put up or shut up" as it were. This is a genuine question from someone who is in a genuine state of confusion about Matthew 25:46 and is trying like "hell" to understand what in the heck Matthew thought Jesus was trying to teach us.

Matthew must or should have known under the guidance of the Holy Spirit that kolasin aionion at some point in the future could or would just as easily read "age-lasting corrective punishment" as "everlasting penal punishment" and thus cause a horrible mess of total confusion. He could have avoided all this and used ekdikesis aidios which leaves no doubt as to the severity and duration of the punishment.

Ekdikesis according to the Greek lexicon is "a revenging, vengeance, punishment" and in no way implies corrective punishment as kolasin does. Aidios, has been discussed before and leaves no doubt as to meaning "everlasting" It is used twice in the NT, once to refer to the eternalness of God and once incorrectly (in my humble opinion) in Jude in reference to everlasting chains that bind evil spirits awaiting judgment.

So the question: if Matthew intended to convey that the goats were going into unending penal punishment why didn't he just write ekdikesis aidios?

Last edited by thrillobyte; 06-21-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,284,911 times
thrill, because it wasn't about eternal judgement. It was real, actual, and it ended with a bang.
It dealt with an age, an age that is already over.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,014,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
thrill, because it wasn't about eternal judgement. It was real, actual, and it ended with a bang.
Ha! I figured you'd be the only one to take on this issue, at least within a day ;p

But still, age lasting "correction?" I've read somewhere that the greek root word here "Kolasin" is a form of the word that originally meant "to prune" like pruning a tree. I've heard this word has taken on punishment type meanings at times too, but if correction was indeed the end means, does that mean they aren't corrected until their dead? Just seems odd, though I'm no expert in this by any means.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Ha! I figured you'd be the only one to take on this issue, at least within a day ;p

But still, age lasting "correction?" I've read somewhere that the greek root word here "Kolasin" is a form of the word that originally meant "to prune" like pruning a tree. I've heard this word has taken on punishment type meanings at times too, but if correction was indeed the end means, does that mean they aren't corrected until their dead? Just seems odd, though I'm no expert in this by any means.
Pruning indeed...reminds me of..the parable of the vineyard, leading up to not one stone on another....like I said, that age ended. The tree was pruned, and now we have Christianity...new name, new song

Old 06-22-2011, 03:06 AM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times
Quote:
Yes --- the age ended and now we are in the new age ....

Old 06-22-2011, 03:07 AM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times
Quote:
Pruning indeed...reminds me of..the parable of the vineyard, leading up to not one stone on another....like I said, that age ended. The tree was pruned, and now we have Christianity...new name, new song
Hmmmmm ....... is christianity faring any better? judgment coming?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Hmmmmm ....... is christianity faring any better? judgment coming?
Lessons will be learned. We are going through another reformation I feel, and within a hundred years, if not sooner Fulfilled eschatology will have overthrown the YEC premillennial doctrines. Why?

Because everyone can read now

Old 06-22-2011, 11:45 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,014,239 times
Quote:
Hmm, I suppose that's possible. If Jesus is the one true vine, I suppose its possible that it refers to the branches being pruned off, but I'm no Greek scholar when it comes to the usage of the word. So maybe its suppose to say the rightous will have aeonian life and the unrightous will aeonian...severance?..cutoff?..prunage?....yeah I really need to take a Koine Greek. course... ;p

Old 06-22-2011, 11:55 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,402,926 times
Quote:

Because everyone can read now
Good point, but sadly not everyone does

Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Good point, but sadly not everyone does
Fortunately, that will change with the Internet. Compared to say...1300 AD...we have come along way. We don't have to believe what the clergy are feeding us, like they did a millennia ago.
That was pretty much my point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or