Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times

Advertisements

These folks just began their ministry here in my little town in Oregon. They were passing out advertisements for their Sunday gatherings that take place at the local Comfort Inn. Does anyone have any information they could share about this group? Just curious.

This is what Wiki has on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_(religion)

The webside address provided on the pamphlet they handed out has minimal information. Here it is.

Home (http://www.thecallsite.org/Home_Page.html - broken link)

Last edited by ditchlights; 06-27-2011 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
I know nothing about them but went to their site and came across a quote from the pastor:

This world does not need one more finger pointing in accusation - rather a hand that will reach out, pull up, touch with love, and heal with tenderness"
~Pastor Russ

To that, I say... Amen, brother.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I know nothing about them but went to their site and came across a quote from the pastor:

This world does not need one more finger pointing in accusation - rather a hand that will reach out, pull up, touch with love, and heal with tenderness"
~Pastor Russ

Their desire is:
- To teach God's goodness and that our lives are enhanced by living out what He has created us for.

- To understand that love is the building block for our faith.

- To challenge each person to affect the people, communities and the world around them in a positive way.

- To call the church to live what we say we believe.

Sounds like a winner to me... And who doesn't like free donuts and coffee?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

~Pastor Russ

I got that part. It seemed a little contradictory to the description of their agenda per Wikipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Their desire is:
- To teach God's goodness and that our lives are enhanced by living out what He has created us for.

- To understand that love is the building block for our faith.

- To challenge each person to affect the people, communities and the world around them in a positive way.

- To call the church to live what we say we believe.

Sounds like a winner to me... And who doesn't like free donuts and coffee?
I got that part as well. It just seems a little odd to me that they have rallies with thousands of people that are comprised of 12 hour prayer and fasting sessions to protest same sex marriages and abortion in America in an attempt to divert God's wrath of "divine judgment" on our country and to confess our "national" sins.

Sounds a little like another religious group we hear a lot about on CD.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Ditchlights, hey, your wikipedia link is bad. You have to click on another link within your link to get to the correct entry. I didn't see that the first time.

Based on the website that was on the pamphlet... are you sure it is the same people? The pamphlet website doesn't sound anything like what they are talking about on the wikipedia site?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM

[quote=.sparrow.;19787561]
Quote:
Ditchlights, hey, your wikipedia link is bad. You have to click on another link within your link to get to the correct entry. I didn't see that the first time.
Yeah Sparrow, I tried to fix it a couple times, but it doesn't seem to want to take the user straight there. I don't know why.

Quote:
Based on the website that was on the pamphlet... are you sure it is the same people? The pamphlet website doesn't sound anything like what they are talking about on the wikipedia site?
I'm not a hundred percent sure, but it seems like quite a strange coincidence if it's not, as it is a somewhat unique name. That's what I was trying to find out. It sounds like a movement large enough for people to hear about. I'm just a little wary as it's starting up in my little town, and it sounds like the first location in Oregon and they plan to expand. Just because something looks Godly on the exterior, does not mean they are 100% Biblical. Take the Shepherd's Chapel for example.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Just because something looks Godly on the exterior, does not mean they are 100% Biblical. Take the Shepherd's Chapel for example.
I was only commenting on the guy's quote, really which I thought was a good one. Lots of things "look Godly" on the outside but in reality there's not much love, but a lot of fear/condemnation inside.

Anyway, yeah.... I have no idea about any of these people, basically.
sorry I guess I wasn't much help.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
I can call myself a professional athlete, talk like a professional athlete, wear the same clothes like a professional athlete, read the same playbook like a professional athlete ........... but that doesn't make me one.

What I would what to know is what "where and from" ..... nobody comes from no where.
Things I would be finding answers to is...

The disciples had three years of professional training...where did he get his training and from whom?
How long was the training...those who call themself "pastor" God holds responsible. Having the ability to read (not copy and paste) and comprehend the original languages and implications is great value an asset (expecially discussing with the know it all self taught \ side walk supervisior)

Does he have overseers ..., like Paul was to the ministers for the congregations he had established.
Does he fit the standards that God expects of a pastor (1 Timothy 3)

God commands that pastors are to "Watch your life and doctrine closely....Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. " 1 Timothy 4:16

Is it another feel good church?
Is the doctrines of law and gospel presented..not only presented, but presented correctly?
Are the sacraments used and understood correctly?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM

According to the Wiki link in the OP, The Call has had such prominent names as Mike Huckabee, James Dobson, and Tony Perkins attend their rally events. Sure, now granted, every individual pastor is different. Right now, I'm just wondering about the movement in general, at a national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity