U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is a Christian? One who...
Accept Jesus as Savior & the entire Bible is the Word of God 25 75.76%
Accept Jesus’ teachings and most but not all of the Bible 7 21.21%
Accept some of Jesus’ teachings and some of the Bible 1 3.03%
Accept some of Jesus’ teachings and reject the entire Bible 0 0%
Reject Jesus and the Bible 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,622,718 times

Advertisements

I have been ever so confused as to how some define who a Christian is. What are your opinions regarding who a Christian is?

Last edited by Jazzedforhim; 08-08-2007 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Figured out the poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,945,473 times
My opinion...one who realizes..a. they are a sinner...b. they need a savior, c. that Christ died and rose again for our sin and believes that Jesus is the ONLY way to heaven d. ask Jesus into their heart and ask for forgiveness, e. is baptized after receiving Christ (my beliefs so dont flame me here)

Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 AM

8,668 posts, read 20,324,154 times
Default Defining a Christian...

I hate it when I get hung up on words in a poll, but I couldn't answer the poll.

My answer would be --A Christian is someone who accepts Jesus Christ as thier savior and Lord. I also believe that the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God, but I don't think this latter belief is critical to salvation.

Romans 10:9 says " ...if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;..."
NASB
I accepted Christ as my savior and Lord as a child about age 11. Since that time I have held varying views about the Bible, but I don't think it affected my salvation at all. I was just wrong!

I would also add that no, I don't think "accepting Jesus' teachings" makes one a Christian...unless you also make the commitment to Him as I said, as savior and Lord. (In simple terms, I would explain this as believing the facts about Jesus, his death on the Cross as an atonement for sins and submitting your life to Him as well as you know how. We then through the Spirit begin to grow in our spiritual maturity. But I think it is that initial decision that causes us to come into relationship to Jesus and "be a Christian" if you will.)

Last edited by kaykay; 08-08-2007 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: stupid spelling error!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,338,419 times
Default Who is a Christian?

My response wasn't listed in the poll, so I couldn't check any of them.

IMHO, a Christian is one who accepts Jesus as their Lord and Savior which means they also believe He was God in the flesh, born of the virgin Mary, who suffered and died on the cross and rose from the grave on the third day and is now alive and seated at the right hand of God. That is my opinion of who a Christian is.

Now, as a Christian, whether one follows some or all of Jesus' teachings or believes in whole, part or none of the Bible are secondary or side issues. Just like whether they believe in Noah or Adam and Eve. Their belief/faith or lack thereof in the Bible as the Word of God and everything it contains is not mandatory for salvation or to be considered a Christian.

It may appear as an inconsistancy to others, believers and non-believers alike, if they have non-traditional views of the Bible and it may be frustrating to others, but that does not mean they are not Christians. Those side issues are for them to resolve between themselves and God and no one has a right to say whether they're Christian or otherwise, IMO.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,286,079 times
I am in the same boat as Kaykay. I couldn't answer the poll because I don't view the bible as a component of qualification for Christianity. While it is an invaluable tool, it is not a component of belief required to become a Christian.

The only requirement is acceptance of Jesus as the son of God and redeemer of your sins, and a true repentance of you sin. Once you have accepted Jesus and repented in your heart for your sin,you are a Christian. Even if you never do another thing. You may not be a very good Christian, but you are one none the less. There are other imperatives given to Christians to perform as part of their example and mission to spread the word, but you really have to already have become a Christian for those imperatives to apply to you.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 AM

13,573 posts, read 21,724,553 times
A christian believes that Jesus was the son of God who came to instruct, teach and to fulfill his Fathers duty to become the living sacrifice for all sin so that we could be forgiven and spend eternity in heaven. A Christian tries everyday to follow the instructions given by Jesus in order to attain eternal life. A christian stays in touch with God through the holy spirit daily in his prayers, works and actions. This is my humble opinion....

Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,505,099 times
I couldn't find a choice that suited me either. I define a Christian as one that TRIES to follow the teachings of Jesus in dealings with problems on this earth. The Bible is useful as a guide to his teachings.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,622,718 times
I agree with what the majority has said here. Salvation is in Jesus alone. I'm not trying to make any judgements regarding anyone's salvation! So, that's not my purpose here at all. Hmm...I wasn't very clear in my thoughts for sure.

I'm seeking a definition in terms of Jesus and the Bible, if one exists. We Christians all accept that Salvation is in Jesus alone. But, can one have it both ways? Can one accept Christ AND not believe in the Bible? Can one accept Christ and believe in the Quran? Can one be a Christian and pray to Budda? Can one follow Christ and believe in reincarnation...or other things that are not biblical? I realize that the Bible doesn't get us into heaven, Jesus does...but is there a place where one by definition only (not judging salvation here) would not be considered a Christian? Can ANYONE with ANY beliefs say they are a Christian?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:10 AM

193 posts, read 932,940 times
This is really not a difficult question to answer. Do you believe Jesus Christ is the son of god, the Mesiah? Do you believe that he died on the cross for all of our sins? Do you believe in the bible and what it teaches? If you answer no to any of these questions, I believe you should question your Christianity. You can not believe in part of the bible and not other parts. It is the only true thing in this world that you can honestly depend on.

People today have lost the whole purpose as to why we are here. This life we are living is nothing to what is ahead of us. I pray for all non-christians to come to know the lord and to read their bibles. I am reading and learning and finding how I have placed so much importance in the small things in life and not enough in just getting to know my lord and living by his word. We all are with sin. None of us are perfect and we need to repent to the lord and not to anyone else. He is the only one we should turn to to ask for forgiveness for our sins.

If you don't know how you feel about your faith, please turn to your church for guidance. Go to some bible studies and study the word of god. I have found there is so much that I don't know and I am enjoying learning about the bible. Just knowing that the son, the father and the holy spirit are with all of us is so comforting. If you invite the lord into your heart you will know the feeling that I have and you will be so comforted.

I pray for everyone reading this in hopes that you will all seek the lord in your hearts and minds.

God bless you all!!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:10 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,505,099 times
They can call themselves Christian if they want to. Nothing stops them from calling themselves Christian, including what others think or believe.

If Christian finds help and solace in praying to a Budda, we may not understand, we may NEVER understand, but if he wants to, he can. We have no way knowing what the Lord thinks of it. We THINK or even strongly believe that we do. But that doesn't make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or