Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 26 days ago)

20,367 posts, read 12,644,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
John 14:15 - If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 14:21 - He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.

The will of God is carried into the world by those who do the will of the Father - just like Jesus did.

John 6:38 - For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,762,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The whole "personal relationship with Jesus" thing is a trend that first showed up maybe in the 80s. Like "born-again Christian", it's a pop phrase meant to make Christianity sound catchy and happening. Frankly, I think it makes Jesus sound like a plastic razor or something.
I guess as long as it doesn't make them want to accuse and condemn anyone who disagrees with them, I don't have a problem with it. But to me they are just personalizing something that is a mystery.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:02 PM

23,871 posts, read 32,141,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
What do people mean when they say they have a personal relationship with God?

Do you mean you know what God is like (how do you know)?
Do you mean you talk to God in your head, and He talks back?
Do you mean you feel His presence?
Do you mean you spend a lot of time in prayer and those prayers are sometimes answered (or not)?
Do you mean you feel thankful because you are saved (from whatever you think you need saving from)?
Or do you just mean you read the bible a lot?
Or something else?

I'm curious because I see that phrase a lot, and I wonder what people exactly mean by it.

When they say that it's usually because they self identify as "Born Again Christians" and use terminology such as "saved".

Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am always bothered by this primitive idea of obedience as if we were pets in obedience trials. The will of God is carried into the world by those who LOVE Him and everyone else.
Its easy to pay lip service but not obey.
John 6:38
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity