Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I agree there is anything God cannot do (outside of things that don't make sense, like can a circle be a triangle) then He cannot be God.

How about this for example....
God doesn't forsake those whom he loves ...yet Jesus cried out "Why have you forsaken me?"
or
God is everywhere and not everywhere at the same time.
Twin, good points. What I bolded above, I truly do not understand. Why did Jesus say that? (another thread for that one)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 AM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Twin, good points. What I bolded above, I truly do not understand. Why did Jesus say that? (another thread for that one)

Just one of the ways I see this:

We were being shown that in the end, Father did NOT forsake him.
Just as we go through troubles and heartaches and sufferings and we feel that we are ALONE and that God has forsaken us... but He has not.
That there is MORE to the story. There is something that we can't quite see, something that is around the corner, out of view (in whatever situation we find ourselves in) that we cannot YET see. So we feel we are alone... but it is only because it is our perspective, the "more to come" is out of our line of sight at the moment. "God forsaking us" is only like an illusion like a mirage in the desert.

We saw that in fact, Jesus was not forsaken.
This was to give us hope and assurance in our struggles.
That what may SEEM like us being forsaken...
there is more to the story.
More to come.
We will not be forsaken by our Father.

When Jesus cried out "Why have you forsaken me".... that is mankind's cry. (As ONE way of looking at it.) Sharing in our struggle and our having to be amid this present darkness that DOES sometimes make us feel as though we were abandoned.
But we have not been abandoned.
Jesus was not abandoned.
Jesus was resurrected and glorified.

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19 For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that[h] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

Well, this is just one thought.
These sufferings and struggles are for a purpose.
No suffering is ever in vain.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 07-02-2011 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
There is no if in John 3:16.....
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son..."
"....that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"
Twin . . pisteuō eis does not mean intellectually "believe in" all the "precepts and doctrines of men" that constitute mainstream Christianity today. It means accept in our inner soul the guidance of Christ's Holy Spirit and "believe INTO" God's Son daily in all we DO. DOING the WILL of the Father as Christ did in "love of God and each other." There is no easy believism route.
Quote:
"I abhor the assembly of evildoers and refuse to sit with the wicked."

"that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

"Far be it from you to do such a thing,... treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”
So who is the all powerful great I AM... are you more powerful to make God treat the righteous and the wicked alike?

.... are you more powerful to make God sit with the wicked?
We are never all wicked nor all righteous. But the wicked act truly wicked . . . NOT merely refuse to believe God is as you believe, Twin. UR's are not wicked, Twin . . . they are sincere believers in Christ as you are. You are letting dogma and the "precepts and doctrines of men" divide us and cause you to accuse your brethren unfairly.

Quote:
I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised and in awe when "God will make everything new".
Did you forget that Christ has already made all things new. It is finished, Twin.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no easy believism route. .
But for an all powerful God, that is what he offers.
It is Christ's Wisdom and Power of God to have it as such 1 Corinthians 1:18

Quote:
We are never all wicked nor all righteous. But the wicked act truly wicked . . . NOT merely refuse to believe God is as you believe, Twin. .
Not so...except for the one time Paul acknowleding his own failures, God always refers to believers as rightous.

Those who refuse to believe, God doesn't refers to them as righteous.

Quote:
UR's are not wicked, Twin . . . they are sincere believers in Christ as you are. You are letting dogma and the "precepts and doctrines of men" divide us and cause you to accuse your brethren unfairly..
Why did Jesus say otherwise? (another thread for that one)

Quote:
Did you forget that Christ has already made all things new. It is finished, Twin.
But we still await for the culmination event....The one great and glorious day when all of God's omnipotence will be viewed. (But that is for another thread)

Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
But for an all powerful God, that is what he offers.
It is Christ's Wisdom and Power of God to have it as such 1 Corinthians 1:18
My brother in Christ . . . I sincerely hope your faith in easy believism is warranted and you will not regret thinking so.
Quote:
Not so...except for the one time Paul acknowleding his own failures, God always refers to believers as rightous.
We do not overlook the "excepts" Twin when claiming "always."
Quote:
Those who refuse to believe, God doesn't refers to them as righteous.
But what that "believe" really means is the real question. Each and every moment of our lives are evaluated individually, Twin. No one has ALL righteous moments and no one has ALL wicked moments in their lives . . . no matter what they believe or don't believe. Only specific repentance removes the wicked.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
Quote:
they can't because God didn't allow for it...not because he wasn't powerful enough. Big difference.
yes, I thought that was what I said.Of course God can do anything..(IMO).But when you look around,common sense shows the way God created..like 'nothingness' doesn't move objects.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:36 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I've always thought that He stepped back so that Jesus could fully bear the sins of the world on Himself only.That was,after all...His true purpose.
The only other thing I can think of is that He couldn't stand to see His Son suffering in such a horrible way.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:24 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
My brother in Christ . . . I sincerely hope your faith in easy believism is warranted and you will not regret thinking so..
Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

Jesus said:

Mark 5:36
... Jesus told the synagogue ruler, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”

John 3:15
everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life.....

John 9:38
Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.
Jesus said:
Mark 5:36
... Jesus told the synagogue ruler, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”
John 3:15
everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life.....
John 9:38
Then the man said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.
I know that Faith is the basis for believing that Jesus existed and did what He did for us all. I know that His commands are the most important part of taking up our cross and following Him . . . "love God and each other." I also know that it is NOT easy to do so. That is the basis of my concern, brother . . . that you are relying on the easy intellectual part and not on the most important. Peace.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
I have extensively researched Isaiah 55:11... I have yet to find [SAVE ALL MEN] included.....

Then I believe you quoted Isaiah 46:9-10 (KJV) ... does "everywhere else" or as I suspect "everywhere" really means only "everywhere else" as long as it points to I agree with.

Challange yourself to actually list everything "everywhere else" about God's pleasure

Sounds like selective "everywhere else"....

Does your list include John 3:16 ?

There is no if in John 3:16.....
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son..."
"....that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"
Is this not also part of "My counsel SHALL STAND, and WILL DO ALL MY PLEASURE" ....
"I abhor the assembly of evildoers and refuse to sit with the wicked."

"that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

"Far be it from you to do such a thing,... treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”
So who is the all powerful great I AM... are you more powerful to make God treat the righteous and the wicked alike?

.... are you more powerful to make God sit with the wicked?
God is so powerful that he is willing and able to convert the wicked

Quote:
1Pe 4:6 For to this end the gospel was preached also to the dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the Spirit.
The perished are able to be saved

Quote:
Mat 18:11 For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost. ** perished

The means by which God will do this is by fire

Quote:
1Co 3:15 If anyone's work shall be burned up, he shall suffer loss. But he shall be saved, yet so as by fire.
Quote:
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten; therefore be zealous and repent.

Rev 2:11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt by the second death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity