Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Christ fail to accomplish Gods desire to save all people?
Yes 13 23.21%
No 31 55.36%
I don't believe that Jesus is the word of God! 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Jesus revealed not an angry God but a loving God.

Blessings, AJ
Jesus quotes:

John 3:36
.... but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.”

Matthew 5:29
If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Luke 12:5
But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:50 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Jesus quotes:

.... but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.”

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

This guy was thrown into hell too, UNTIL he paid what was owed.

Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. Matt 18

and with what measure you mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:31 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Obviously???

It is obvious that a god who tortures his own offspring is not worthy of worship! Yet people still think they have to appease an angry god. If that were the case, atheism would be gone by now don't you think?

On one hand, people want to believe that angry god has been appeased by Christ's sacrifice, once for all.. But then on the other hand, they want to require ANOTHER sacrifice for the non-believers. It makes no sense at all.
Amen. Preach it Kat.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,477 times
Quote:
Jesus quotes:

Ok twin.spin, I've got to x-plain the reasons why God is not an angry God given the verses you quoted.

First, Jesus could not reveal what had not yet come tp pass. ref:Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Jesus' mission was not "yet done" so by necessity He could only comply with the existing view, thought or as written statements, prophecies and or laws in order to fulfill every dot and tittle.

Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

After His death and resurrection, all those old views, sayings, statements were superseded by the new covenant.

Let me give you a verse after Jesus' resurrection to prove my point:Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Up and until Jesus there was no remission of sins, sins were only covered by the blood of animal sacrifices, thus the strictness of the law applied and Jesus had to comply.

Explanation of those same verses:
Quote:
Truly statedyet not enabled... as you know, Only after Jesus' resurrection could that statement be a truth, for Jesus is the life.So rejectionwas in compliance with the old. Now, what you need to see here is the difference between the work of Christ in removing the eternal death sentence on us verses our behavioral deeds, which are accountable in the flesh.

Christs' work is a divine work of which no man save God could perform, while our works are strictly earthly and subject to earthly consequences.

So, if one rejects the Son, simply is an earthly consequence and not a heavenly because Christ died for all souls.

Quote:
Again, under the old law righteousness for salvation was unattainable, requiring God to fulfill that part. What that verse states is the impossibility, either or, or be lost forever.
Not so after the resurrection.

Quote:
[/quote]

You can see the same thing in all those verses of which God in Christ is reiterating mankind's impossibility to save self, thus the dependence of the saving Christ.

When one fears something is because we don't understand it, but when we love God, understanding is granted to where we can approach God: Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

You see the difference? Boldly here is in full assurance of being accepted and given mercy.

Blessings, AJ

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-25-2011 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: red font is reserved for moderation

Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,300 times
Question Can this doctrine be of God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It's so difficult to give up a belief that has been instilled unto you by fear. It was only by the grace of God that I was able to do so, and find myself open to the view that I could be wrong in what I'm believing.
A SNIPPET FROM THE DOCTRINE OF ETERNAL TORMENTS OVERTHROWN – by Samuel Richardson, edited by Thomas Whittemore, and published by him in 1833. On page 85, Whittemore says that Richardson wrote this book nearly 200 years before 1833.

First of all, there is what Richardson wrote nearly 200 years before 1833: "The doctrine of endless hell torments hath caused many to murder themselves, taking away their own lives by poison, stabbing, drowning, hanging, strangling, and shooting themselves, casting themselves out of windows, and from high places, to break their necks and by other kinds of death, that they might not live to increase their sin, and increase their torments in hell."

Now here is what Whittemore the editor, wrote at the bottom of the page nearly 200 years later in 1833:
"Here we see the same dreadful effects attended the doctrine of endless misery nearly 200 years ago which attend it now. It was then the cause of anxiety, despair, and suicide, as we suppose it always was before, where fully believed, and as we know it has been of late years. Let posterity know, that within the last ten years, there have been a large number of suicides, which must be attributed to the doctrine of endless torment. That doctrine makes men melancholy; it drives them to despair; they know not what to do; and they sever the brittle thread, Fathers and Mothers, in repeated instances in the United States, have murdered their children, lest they should grow up, and commit sin, and be damned. Can a doctrine which produces such dreadful consequences be the doctrine of God?" End of Quote.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It's so difficult to give up a belief that has been instilled unto you by fear,it was only by the grace of God that i was able to do so,and find myself open to the view that i could be wrong in what i'm believing.
Yes, it is not easy to humble oneself and say "Yes, my Lord. I am sorry for what I have done and, I want you to be my Lord and Saviour". But when you do, the fear is taken away in a heart beat. Praise the Lord.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,300 times
Question Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it is not easy to humble oneself and say "Yes, my Lord. I am sorry for what I have done and, I want you to be my Lord and Saviour". But when you do, the fear is taken away in a heart beat. Praise the Lord.
In the light of what happened to Lydia, Saul of Tarsus, and Nebuchadnezzar, do you really think you could have not humbled yourself when you did humble yourself?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Jesus quotes:

CONTEXT FAIL

The context of the phrase in english "Fear him" is about awe and respect as shown in verse 7

Why are we told to "Fear him" then be told to "fear not"?

Lk 12:7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

It is speaking about the awesomness of the power that we should respect and submit to. It is making sure that we understand the nature of how our feelings will perceive things and what to do about it.

It is not to instill a horror into us or leverage our emotions to a submission from that horror. It is to understand that when we realize how awesome God is, what His power really is, our human emotions will perceive a frightfulness, but the following verses assure us that God is on our side.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not easy? According to the scriptures it is actually impossible, unless God renews you spiritually and gives you repentance and faith. That is to say it is impossible for a natural man to understand spiritual things, unless that natural man is born again of the spirit. Only then will he perceive and understand the things of the spirit and repent and believe. And that is all because of the power of the spirit of Christ which quickened him and made him desire and do what pleases God, which is repent and have faith.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Not easy? According to the scriptures it is actually impossible, unless God renews you spiritually and gives you repentance and faith. That is to say it is impossible for a natural man to understand spiritual things, unless that natural man is born again of the spirit. Only then will he perceive and understand the things of the spirit and repent and believe. And that is all because of the power of the spirit of Christ which quickened him and made him desire and do what pleases God, which is repent and have faith.
Yes, indeed. When God knocks on your door, He has given you the ability to open. You think He'd be knocking knowing you can't open? No, my friend, the invitations have been sent, and with it comes the ability to accept. Sadly so many still reject I heard the knocking for years, and I shut my ears so I would know hear, and I refused to open, but one day I humbeled myself and admitted that without Him I was lost and unable to help myself. It was then that I allowed Him to help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity