U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:48 PM

162 posts, read 310,599 times
Default Protestant Views Of Different Denominations

Okay, maybe this is a stupid question.

I have never fully grasped the concept of so many denominations. I mean, our truths are found in the Bible, so I just could never understand how it could be turned into so many denominations.

Anyway, many denominations fall under the term "Protestant". I was just wondering how they view each other. Does someone who attends a Presbyterian Church look at someone who attends a Lutheran or Methodist Church and see them as a fellow believer, or do they think those other churches are wrong?

I am about to move to a new city, and there are so many choices. I have been attending a Presbyterian Church where I am now because of some friends I knew first. I attended a Methodist Church in a previous city. To me, the message is basically the same, so why the separation? I have made a lot of friends at the Presbyterian Church, but may have to go elsewhere in my new city due to a lack of Presbyterian churches and location since I can't drive. Will it seem as though I am turning on them?

How do the people who are loyal to a certain denomination decide it is a the "right" denomination. The only thing I could see is they were raised a certain way and know nothing different.

Thank you for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM

742 posts, read 244,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota79 View Post

I have never fully grasped the concept of so many denominations. I mean, our truths are found in the Bible, so I just could never understand how it could be turned into so many denominations.

Anyway, many denominations fall under the term "Protestant". I was just wondering how they view each other. Does someone who attends a Presbyterian Church look at someone who attends a Lutheran or Methodist Church and see them as a fellow believer, or do they think those other churches are wrong?

I am about to move to a new city, and there are so many choices. I have been attending a Presbyterian Church where I am now because of some friends I knew first. I attended a Methodist Church in a previous city. To me, the message is basically the same, so why the separation? I have made a lot of friends at the Presbyterian Church, but may have to go elsewhere in my new city due to a lack of Presbyterian churches and location since I can't drive. Will it seem as though I am turning on them?

How do the people who are loyal to a certain denomination decide it is a the "right" denomination. The only thing I could see is they were raised a certain way and know nothing different.

The reason there are so many denominations is the concept of Sola Scriptura. Every man with a Bible and an opinion can create a new denomination. That was the trajectory that Martin Luther set in motion almost 500 years ago and the result is 35,000+ Christian denominations today most of which Martin Luther wouldn't even recognize.

Unread 07-08-2011, 09:28 PM

25,165 posts, read 16,651,018 times
Quote:

Most of the differences are minor and based on something historical. Find a church where you feel comfortable and get some spiritual uplifting, that's all. There's not one church on earth that has it all "right".

Unread 07-08-2011, 09:40 PM

742 posts, read 244,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Most of the differences are minor and based on something historical. Find a church where you feel comfortable and get some spiritual uplifting, that's all. There's not one church on earth that has it all "right".
Pure relativism. It's all gooood.

Unread 07-09-2011, 12:09 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,037,519 times
Quote:

How do the people who are loyal to a certain denomination decide it is a the "right" denomination.

I don't know about anyone else, but the one thing I look for is love for one another in a church. If love is missing, then I just don't want to be a part of it.
Another thing that many people seem to miss: a church that is "right" for one person may not necessarily be right for another (for various reasons), hence many denominations. When I was young I used to strive to get as many people as possible to go to MY church...I thought EVERYBODY should belong to this one church...because it was the "right" one, and all the others were more-or-less "wrong". (some three decades later I no longer belong to that denomination...)
Now I can look over "the fence" and see why people go to different churches. There are many members, but we (Christians) are all parts of the same body.
I'd just pick a church where people love and help each other and where you can grow.

Bud

Unread 07-09-2011, 12:34 AM

8,830 posts, read 5,539,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
The reason there are so many denominations is the concept of Sola Scriptura. Every man with a Bible and an opinion can create a new denomination. That was the trajectory that Martin Luther set in motion almost 500 years ago and the result is 35,000+ Christian denominations today most of which Martin Luther wouldn't even recognize.
OH good heavens, enough already with the "sola scriptura". You're beginning to sound like a broken record. But I'll agree that any "man" with a Bible and an opinion can create a new denomination. That's why there is so many. Oh mercy, let's listen to the word of God and those frogs outside my window. It may be hard to discern what is totally the word of God and what is outside in nature but it all comes together if you allow it. Some of my best moments ever were spent outside in nature. I don't hear the frogs anymore. It's late and I'm rambling but seriously, nature is it. That's where the Spirit is.

Unread 07-09-2011, 01:52 AM

589 posts, read 833,505 times
The Protestant churches are daughters that came out of the Roman Catholic Church in "protest." They are the "harlots and abominations" that came out of the "woman arrayed in purple and scarlet color, decked with gold..." in Rev 17. We are warned not to partake in her sin.

17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

If you are looking for the true Church, you will know by their sign: they have the Faith/Blood/Testimony of Jesus Christ and keep the Commandments of God. That means it is keeping God's Law which is all the 10 Commandments including the 4th, so foremost it's a Sabbath-keeping Church!

Sabbath Keeping Churches - Sabbath Keeping Denominations

Unread 07-09-2011, 03:50 AM

9,907 posts, read 5,987,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
The Protestant churches are daughters that came out of the Roman Catholic Church in "protest." They are the "harlots and abominations" that came out of the "woman arrayed in purple and scarlet color, decked with gold..." in Rev 17. We are warned not to partake in her sin.

17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:
17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

If you are looking for the true Church, you will know by their sign: they have the Faith/Blood/Testimony of Jesus Christ and keep the Commandments of God. That means it is keeping God's Law which is all the 10 Commandments including the 4th, so foremost it's a Sabbath-keeping Church!

Sabbath Keeping Churches - Sabbath Keeping Denominations

It's the protestants this was referring to??
Oohh....I'm bad....couldn't resist.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z-DEoN3ydt4/S3V-BMJkO3I/AAAAAAAABDc/z_ZpxmNRRSY/s400/Scarlet+Priest+and+Golden+Cup.jpg

Unread 07-09-2011, 05:15 AM

4,084 posts, read 1,993,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
The Protestant churches are daughters that came out of the Roman Catholic Church in "protest." They are the "harlots and abominations" that came out of the "woman arrayed in purple and scarlet color, decked with gold..." in Rev 17. We are warned not to partake in her sin. 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet color, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
If you are looking for the true Church, you will know by their sign: they have the Faith/Blood/Testimony of Jesus Christ and keep the Commandments of God. That means it is keeping God's Law which is all the 10 Commandments including the 4th, so foremost it's a Sabbath-keeping Church! Sabbath Keeping Churches - Sabbath Keeping Denominations
Were did you learn all that nonsense, were are not under the law and are not called to judge our neighbor, but to love them...... The harlot of babylon is a devil of lies and deception who rules in the people of enterprise ,greed and covetness..... The Catholic Church and most Protestant have Holy Spirit or their doctrines support Holy Spirit presence in their Church's ....... Jesus said in Matthew 18:5...``And who so ever will receive one such little child in my name receives me``........ And most of these Church's support being a humble child in Jesus name and the basis of Christianity....... Were harlot of Babylon is in the heart of people of the stock exchange manipulating wealth so poor people in any nation can not afford to buy food ...... We are not under the law because there is no love for neighbors when we are under the law of sin and death, only condemnation and indifferences

Unread 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM

1,441 posts, read 1,049,283 times
All I know is when I moved here and was looking for a church, I was told be sure it is a "New Testament" church. I don't know the difference between all the different "titles", but I have visited several different ones that I like. I have not chosen a church "home" yet, but I watch several on TV also (definitely NOT the big. loud, obnoxious, rich "mega-churches/pastors) and as long as the sermons are what I know, I like the pastor who is preaching, and are from the same Bible/Word of God that I use, then I worship with those in person or on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity