Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Right, Nature itself makes certain adjustments when necessary. The planet is a living system, after all. But I think you are downplaying the catastrophic effect that a planetwide extinction of bees would have. Albert Einstein said mankind would go extinct four years after the extinction of bees. If everything is inter-connected, it makes sense.
Einstein was not an entomologist, and I believe he was wrong....Did you miss my post? Honey bees are the only species effected by the colony collapse disorder, and there are nearly 20,000 species of bees, plus a multitude of other pollinators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Why would evolution work to the detrement of a species? Isn't it supposed to select the stronger ones and let the weaker ones die off?
Nope! It's not necessarily a case of 'survival of the fittest'. Something could evolve to become smaller/weaker in order to better hide from predators for example.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:54 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Einstein was not an entomologist, and I believe he was wrong....Did you miss my post? Honey bees are the only species effected by the colony collapse disorder, and there are nearly 20,000 species of bees, plus a multitude of other pollinators.
Do honeybees live in a vacuum or are part of the Web of Life?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
And I disagree with you....I'm a photographer who loves to capture insects, particularly bees. Actually I see fewer and fewer honey bees in my area, but guess what, there are just as many bees now as there were years ago. It is just that they are a different variety...Bumble bees and carpenter bees are now doing most of the pollinating, and there are a host of other pollinators as well.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the doom sayers predictions about the demise of honey bees, that is unless you really love honey...Evolution is quickly filling what ever gap the honey bees leave with other pollinators, and I wouldn't be surprised if the honey bees recover from whatever is ailing them and become stronger and healthier in the long run...Evolution is funny that way.
Sounds like Evolution can be whatever you need it to be in order to win arguments. It seems vague enough to be whatever is needed.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
It seems vague enough to be whatever is needed.
This sounds like the definition of biblical "prophecies." Just saying.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
This sounds like the definition of biblical "prophecies." Just saying.
Fair enough.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM

223 posts, read 268,327 times
Quote:
Yeah, I thought so. This thread was not really asking to discuss Christian responses at all. Soooo disingenuous.
I didn't create the thread so I can't speak to the intent of the thread creator. But you are correct, none of the Christian responses have been convincing to me.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It doesn't fit. It's a matter of taking the known facts and stretching them to fit your existing beliefs in order to keep those beliefs valid.
Indeed, they call it cognitive dissonance. Christians are experts on it in this particular case.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Sounds like Evolution can be whatever you need it to be in order to win arguments. It seems vague enough to be whatever is needed.
You really ought to read a thing or two about evolution, and how it has worked for millions of years. Not only would it be fascinating and entertaining for you, but it would prevent ignorant comments like this. Start with this relatively user-friendly primer:

We cannot teach you everything on a forum. It's just not possible. Most atheists already have pretty extensive religious educations. So do your part and read about the other side.

And by the way, the answer to your comment is "yes, evolution does whatever is needed." That's precisely how it works. The difference is, this has been observed, not merely asserted.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
What, you don't like facts? I have no need for evolution to be anything other than what it is...When a species goes extinct, no matter what niche it fills, other species will fill the gap...What is it about this that you refuse to understand?

Even if we lose the honey bee Einstein's so called prediction will not happen..

Did you know... It's not unusual for wild bees to be significant pollinators of wild plants and crops. In fact, until the 16th century, there were no honeybees in the Americas -- wild bees, solitary bees and other animals did all of the necessary pollination of flowering plants. Spanish colonists introduced honeybees to the Americas to improve honey production. Although most people consider honeybees to be an asset, they are technically an invasive species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity