U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 AM

3,075 posts, read 7,093,011 times

Advertisements

I think that ultimately all kids will come to their own conclusions....we can't force anyone to believe or do anything.....but strong guidance is very clear in the Bible as our job as parents. This, as well as praying that they will follow Jesus the rest of their lives.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well.....

1) I do believe God created everything...but not the way it is stated in Genesis as literal.

2) I never said to raise your children to believe whatever they want...I said to enable them to decide what they believe based on education. Explain what you believe and why and then allow them to come to their OWN conclusions...which will not always be the same as their parent's beliefs.

Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 PM

542 posts, read 1,409,692 times
I taught 5th grade religion class in our parish for years. Religious education/training begins at home. The church and religion classes only reinforce what you teach your children at home.All my children went through Catholic school until 8th grade, then attended public high school. We could no longer afford Catholic education. It was $6thousand per year per child at the high school, and we have 4 children.Everything they had been taught their previous 8 years really stuck with them. My daughter got into so many arguments with teachers at the high school because of her beliefs and early religion training.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 PM

679 posts, read 983,759 times
Default Whack-a-Mole

Wow, it's like whack-a-mole. Stomp the argument one place and it pops up again, sort of like how creationism popped back up as ID.

In response to "what's wrong with an alternative theory?"
Real simple, in order for something to be a viable scientific theory it must be:
testable
supported by evidence
hold up to testing

Creationism fails at #1; therefore, it is not a viable scientific theory.

In answer to "well you can't test evolution"
Mostly you can't due to the times involved for evolution but you can in shorter lifespan lifeforms such as the virus which exhibits greater resistance to antibiotics with each successive generation for example.
There are also plenty of examples for accepting something based on evidence without testing. If you've watch CSI or any forensics show, they come to a conclusion for a cause of death based on examination. They don't need to kill someone in the same way to prove their theory for cause of death. Another example is smoking. Smoking hasn't been proved to cause cancer and ethically you can't conduct an experiment to prove that it does just as the CSI people can't kill someone to prove their theory. Evidence points to smoking causing cancer. You can doubt it all you want like you doubt evolution. Care for a smoke? further reading

In answer to "evolution isn't fact"
It's near impossible to prove a scientific theory so scientists attempt the next best thing, to disprove it. As of yet, evolution has not been disproved BUT it could be, which brings us back to the first issue and why creationism can't be offered as an alternative scientific theory.
further reading

In answer to "Science tries to disprove god"
Science neither tries to prove or disprove deities. That's something completely apart from Science. It should be noted that there have been notable scientists who still remained religious, including evolutionists.

In answer to "well I know what I believe and that's the bible"
That's fine. At home and in church, have your kids learn the bible. In English class, have them learn English, in History class learn History, In PE let them learn about health and exercise and in Science class PLEASE let them learn Science.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 AM

1,934 posts, read 3,171,574 times
DawnW, here are a couple links to articles that I think will help give you an understanding of what is presented in public schools and what to do, as a Christian parent, to address their teachings. I hope they bring some clarification that you're seeking.

Do You Know What Your Children Are Being Taught in School? - Answers in Genesis

Science or the Bible? - Answers in Genesis

Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Would you accept a report from MIT on christian teaching? A NASA study on theology? Then why would you read information about Science and Science education from a christian website? That's like learning about the Jews by reading Mein Kampf

Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Would you accept a report from MIT on christian teaching? A NASA study on theology? Then why would you read information about Science and Science education from a christian website? That's like learning about the Jews by reading Mein Kampf
Yes, it is a christian website. But it is a christian website that specifically deals with issues of creation versus evolution. It is a christian website that has many degree-holding scientists that contribute to the website. It is a christian website that provides christian parents information they are seeking regarding science information and how it relates to their christian beliefs. I believe this is information the OP was asking for, information to make a decision regarding her education of her children in light of her christian beliefs.

Last edited by mams1559; 08-16-2007 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-16-2007, 12:00 PM

103 posts, read 9,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Yes, it is a christian website. But it is a christian website that specifically deals with issues of creation versus evolution. It is a christian website that has many degree-holding scientists that contribute to the website. It is a christian website that provides christian parents information they are seeking regarding science information and how it relates to their christian beliefs. I believe this is information the OP was asking for, information to make a decision regarding her education of her children in light of her christian beliefs.

The "degree holding scientists" part is questionable. Most of the "scientists" on AiG and similar sites are anything but, and those few who actually hold a valid degree do not hold any that qualify them to critique evolution and other scientific theories that creationists find objectionable.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack_ View Post
The "degree holding scientists" part is questionable. Most of the "scientists" on AiG and similar sites are anything but, and those few who actually hold a valid degree do not hold any that qualify them to critique evolution and other scientific theories that creationists find objectionable.

This is entirely your opinion. I hold a very different viewpoint. I have looked up the biographies of those scientists who contribute to the website and I am satisfied with their credentials. And yes, not all contributors are scientists, but does that mean those individuals are not allowed to offer an educated opinion based on their knowledge and experience? If that's the case, then this forum should be closed as well.

Just because people mock them and disagree with them doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. Just because they are degree-holding scientists who don't agree with evolution doesn't mean they're not qualified to comment on the subject.

But again, you are entitled to your opinion and I mine.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
And yes, not all contributors are scientists, but does that mean those individuals are not allowed to offer an educated opinion based on their knowledge and experience?
Everyone has a right to an opinion, but some or more valid than others. You ask you plumber for plumbing advice, but not on accounting. You ask your doctor on medical advice, but not necessarily on how to change you car's alternator.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Everyone has a right to an opinion, but some or more valid than others. You ask you plumber for plumbing advice, but not on accounting. You ask your doctor on medical advice, but not necessarily on how to change you car's alternator.
So I'm not allowed to ask a woman with a PhD in molecular genetics from Ohio State who believes in biblical creation rather than evolution her opinion on why genetics disproves evolution rather than proves it? Or a PhD biologist who believes in biblical creation his? Or a man with a PhD in geology from Penn State who believes in biblical creation about the geologic column? Or a PhD paleontologist who believes in biblical creation about fossils?

I'm just pointing out that they are accredited scientists in their fields and in their respective fields they encounter evolutionary ideas that are taught or held that they don't agree with. They have beliefs as to why they don't agree, both scientific and otherwise, that they share with others. How is it that it's less valid simply because it's on a christian website? That doesn't make sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity