Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,916 times

Advertisements

...and as a black woman, I obviously found this belief highly disturbing. I'm familiar with the so-called "Curse Of Ham," that was based on Genesis 9:20-27, but this was a new one for me. While I don't think the "beasts of burden" belief has no scriptural basis, what scriptures in the Bible could be used for someone saying something like that? Was this a popular belief among certain sects?

I was having some problems and issues in the workplace when I became one of the managers, and I was pretty much informed that blacks were not meant to lead and that "The Lord put 'you people' on Earth as beasts of burden to serve others, not the other way around." Well, long story short, the guy was fired.

I've been somewhat of an agnostic over the past few years due to a number of personal reasons and while I've been debating whether to adhere to a religion, I found it off-putting that there are those who believe these types of things in this day and age.

I know it was a lunatic who told me this, but was this widely taught in churchces?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
I find the teaching disturbing, disgusting, and ignorant. I have heard hints of this before, never directly from the pulpit. America is still deeply steeped in the sin of racism. I think the sin of the children of Israel was akin to racism as well -- despising "others" who were not like themselves. As far as we can look back, a large part of man's problem with sin is pride and wanting to Lord it over others (be king of the hill, so to speak). You just have to forgive the ignorance of man. I am sad to hear how you have been treated by ignorant people. It is a stain on Adam's race that we treat others as less than ourselves in such a blatant manner.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post

I know it was a lunatic who told me this, but was this widely taught in churchces?

You're right: that guy is a lunatic! And good that he got fired. I have never heard that said or taught in any of the churches I've attended. In fact, I've never heard of it before, period. And...I'm glad you are in a position of management!

Bud

Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
People believe all sorts of insane, ridiculous things. It shows where they are in their understanding of God (God is love). It shows where they are in their understanding of LOVE. Very sad. Hope he comes to his senses soon and realizes how horribly wrong he is, because that's a lot of ugliness to be putting out into this world.

I don't know about any churches teaching this ridiculosity (is that a word?), maybe someone else can answer. I'm sure there are, though.
All sorts of beliefs out there that coincide with folks' level of understanding. The fuzzier the understanding, the more nonsensical the belief.

I'm really sorry you had to be on the recieving end of such ugliness.
peace,
sparrow

Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Pigment of skin color is due to the increased pigment melanin in the skin. It's a protective biological mechanism against the sun's radiation. We all have the same heavenly father. Racism is Satan's strategy to cause division and hate amongst each other. The result is confusion. Generational curses are biblical, but it has nothing to do with someone's skin color. It has to do with rebellious actions against the creator. The curse can be lifted only by God. Prayer and fasting by born-again believers is the way for us to engage in spiritual warfare against the dark spiritual forces imposing this curse.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM

200 posts, read 449,352 times
Wow. Well at least he was vocal about it. Usually people smile in your face and talk all kind of trash behind your back. In the South you usually have your two types of racists...The first is the overt racist who wont even touch your hand much less talk to you, then you have the covert racist who smiles at you pats you on the back etc. then turns around and talk all kind of vile trash behind your back. I will take the overt anyday, at least I know what I'm dealing with, although I have been able to get better at reading the covert.

How exactly did the guy get fired? Did you compalin to management? What was their response? I hope this isn't the reason you becam an Agnostic????

Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Jesus Spirit says that believing these ideas are legalism of history of the Bible , and there is No were in the Bible It says that Black people are of Ham and his descendent's ....... See the descendant of Ham the son of Noah, settled in the land were Israel is from Canaan son of Ham , and then there was Mizraim, and Cush who settled in Egypt, then there was Nimrod who settle in the Lands of Iraq is today.....These come from the time line charts of Archbishop Ussher of Armagh, But there is No certain ideas that the Blacks people come from Ham son of Noah ..... Sham is the son of Noah who Noah blessed as the blessed of the Lord who was like Noah one of the spiritual great -great grandfathers of Lord Jesus .... So any body who says that these people or those people came from Noah or the tower of babel, were the Lord confused the tongues of Man, then it is only legalism and have no blessing from the Lord in revelation here.....

Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 PM

664 posts, read 855,605 times
i have never heard of such foolery. what in the world??????? :|

Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
You have to take that like I took the Rev Wright saying that whitey is the devil.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:13 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Scripture has been used to justify a lot of Really Bad Things down through the ages. Racism, sexism, murder, torture, genocide, etc. Where there's a will, there's a way. I would treat this Curse of Ham thing like the Levitical laws pertaining to homosexuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity