Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jeeeeeezus...do some HOMEWORK on the bible, its origins, who actually wrote it, the editing and interpolating that was done to it...and then get back to us...because we can't have a knowledgeable conversation with A FUNDAMENTALIST LITERALIST.

There is no such thing as a separate entity called the "devil". The "devil" is inside of us all...it is our egoic nature/carnal nature...that we must deny and subdue so that it no longer controls us but we control it.

LOVE is not and never will be evil...calling teaching that teaches only LOVE is WRONG...do you not get that???????????
I'm curious about something: If the Bible isn't your authority on Jesus Christ, what is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You're pretty much parroting the "teachings" of James Padgett. Are you a follower of the "channeled jesus" too?

If you don't think the Bible is relevant to our discussions here, why are you on the Christian boards?
I'm not parroting anyone but God. God is LOVE...plain and simple...any teaching that goes against that concept I would call evil. Any teaching, no matter whose it is, that teaces LOVE is of God. You are of a mindset that Christianity has the market on God and that God can only speak to and draw a person through it...this makes your god very small and powerless. God uses many means to draw people to himself...I've seen it done on more than one occassion.

I didn't say the bible isn't relevant....but you cannot parrot a literalist interpretation of everything you read it in either. There are spiritual messages that need to be rightly divided and discerned...your LITERALIST mindset prevents you from doing this...do you comprehend this????

Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I'm curious about something: If the Bible isn't your authority on Jesus Christ, what is?

The bible (which only contains a small portion of the scriptures that were available back then) isn't the only book/scripture out there that contains the same teachings of Jesus...Jesus was one of many who taught the exact same thing. It's obvious you've never studied and compared the various religions...for when you take out the man made precepts, doctrines and dogma contained in them...you find that the bare bones ALL teach the EXACT same thing. It's been made plainly obvious to me that you really don't understand what it was the Christ taught...you don't understand what it truly means to be "in Christ". Perhaps you should take some time to seriously study that.

BTW...Jesus was a person...Christ was the annointing he received. His name is not Jesus Christ but...his title is Jesus the Christ (the annointed one)...we do not have his last name.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 07-28-2011 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
Ok, let me change that phrase to one more Biblical: Professing Christ.

Does that change your response? Is professing Christ a requirement for salvation?
In response to your question:
I believe that salvation is a requirement to professing Christ. In other words, when God draws man, he comes. Man is drawn to God only when God draws him. When he is drawn, he is given faith, and the joy of salvation, and the natural result is professing Christ.

So it's not professing Christ that leads to salvation. It is the revelation of God's Spirit/salvation that causes man to profess Christ. Saul called Jesus "Lord" before knowing who He was. The presence of God was what changed him.

So you might ask: was Saul "free to choose?" I suppose you could call it freedom to choose. But entering the presence of God or experiencing God's Spirit isn't an everyday thing. When we experience it, we just "naturally" rejoice, because that is how we are "wired." Man cannot come to God alone. But when God draws him, man doesn't need to be "convinced" or "forced" because the beauty of God is strong enough to convert him.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I'm not parroting anyone but God. God is LOVE...plain and simple...any teaching that goes against that concept I would call evil. Any teaching, no matter whose it is, that teaces LOVE is of God. You are of a mindset that Christianity has the market on God and that God can only speak to and draw a person through it...this makes your god very small and powerless. God uses many means to draw people to himself...I've seen it done on more than one occassion.

I didn't say the bible isn't relevant....but you cannot parrot a literalist interpretation of everything you read it in either. There are spiritual messages that need to be rightly divided and discerned...your LITERALIST mindset prevents you from doing this...do you comprehend this????
Looks like you beat me to it! I deleted my post, but you'd already responded!

I never said Christianity has the market on God, but I assure you it has the market on Jesus. In any case, believing in God isn't enough for salvation. The devil believes in God and it's not going to keep him out of hell, is it?

What spiritual messages are you talking about and where to do they come from?

And what makes you think I'm a literalist? In some instances, I am. But, in others, I am not. How about you? Do you take anything literally, or is everything relevant?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The bible (which only contains a small portion of the scriptures that were available back then) isn't the only book/scripture out there that contains the same teachings of Jesus...Jesus was one of many who taught the exact same thing. It's obvious you've never studied and compared the various religions...for when you take out the man made precepts, doctrines and dogma contained in them...you find that the bare bones ALL teach the EXACT same thing. It's been made plainly obvious to me that you really don't understand what it was the Christ taught...you don't understand what it truly means to be "in Christ". Perhaps you should take some time to seriously study that.

BTW...Jesus was a person...Christ was the annointing he received. His name is not Jesus Christ but...his title is Jesus the Christ (the annointed one)...we do not have his last name.
Buddha didn't teach salvation only through the shed blood of Christ. Neither did Krishna. Or Muhammad. Or Confuscious. In fact, Muhammad specifically denied such a thing. How then can you say all religions teach the same thing?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Looks like you beat me to it! I deleted my post, but you'd already responded!

I never said Christianity has the market on God, but I assure you it has the market on Jesus. In any case, believing in God isn't enough for salvation. The devil believes in God and it's not going to keep him out of hell, is it?
Firstly...there is no such thing as "hell" where it pertains to torment in some afterlife...that is a man made invention...please take the time to study that. Hell is something one makes for themself by the way they live their life and the punishment they receive or the consequences for their wrong actions and is called reaping and sowing or karma and applies only to this life. If one does a wrong to another human being...they will receive the consequences for that wrong in kind...that's the way it works. We do not receive infinite punishment for a finite wrong...that would make our loving God a megalomanical monster...which we know he is not...or at least some of us know he is not.

Ponder this...wasn't "Jesus" presented in the OT through different people??? What makes you think the same wasn't done through other scriptures???

Quote:
What spiritual messages are you talking about and where to do they come from?
You're joking...right???

Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Buddha didn't teach salvation only through the shed blood of Christ. Neither did Krishna. Or Muhammad. Or Confuscious. In fact, Muhammad specifically denied such a thing. How then can you say all religions teach the same thing?
Did you even comprehend what I wrote??? When one removes the man made minutia from all of them...the EXACT same teaching is revealed. Of course...without the guidance of the spirit WITHIN...you'll never see it.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
We're not talking about a living child or a living man accepting or doing anything, we're talking about being SAVED. The Bible makes it clear that people are DEAD in their sin. Dead people don't DO anything. They can only lie there and either be resuscitated or not. Either God breathes life into us and it revives us, which causes us to repent, seek and ask; or we'd all still be dead on the table.

If someone "beleives in their heart" and then also "confesses with their mouth", that's just like the EKG machine showing a heart beat... It's the proof that there is life. It's not what causes the spiritual heart to beat.
Quote:
But, that's what the Bible itself says is necessary for salvation. Do you think the Bible is lying?
Brian answered the question beautifully, so I'll just repost it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
In response to your question:
I believe that salvation is a requirement to professing Christ. In other words, when God draws man, he comes. Man is drawn to God only when God draws him. When he is drawn, he is given faith, and the joy of salvation, and the natural result is professing Christ.

So it's not professing Christ that leads to salvation. It is the revelation of God's Spirit/salvation that causes man to profess Christ. Saul called Jesus "Lord" before knowing who He was. The presence of God was what changed him.

So you might ask: was Saul "free to choose?" I suppose you could call it freedom to choose. But entering the presence of God or experiencing God's Spirit isn't an everyday thing. When we experience it, we just "naturally" rejoice, because that is how we are "wired." Man cannot come to God alone. But when God draws him, man doesn't need to be "convinced" or "forced" because the beauty of God is strong enough to convert him.

Blessings,
brian

Now, I'm not speaking for Brian here, this is my take on "professing Christ"..,.

There's an old saying by some saint or other ... "Proclaim the gospel; use words only when necessary." Imo, paying lip service to a belief in Christ falls far short of actually "professing Christ".

Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Firstly...there is no such thing as "hell" where it pertains to torment in some afterlife...that is a man made invention...please take the time to study that. Hell is something one makes for themself by the way they live their life and the punishment they receive or the consequences for their wrong actions and is called reaping and sowing or karma and applies only to this life. If one does a wrong to another human being...they will receive the consequences for that wrong in kind...that's the way it works. We do not receive infinite punishment for a finite wrong...that would make our loving God a megalomanical monster...which we know he is not...or at least some of us know he is not.
How do you know that?

Quote:
Ponder this...wasn't "Jesus" presented in the OT through different people??? What makes you think the same wasn't done through other scriptures???
What other religious texts were written by more than 40 different authors over a period of roughly 1500 years, authors from different stations in life, different time periods, different backgrounds, most of whom did know each other and none of whom knew their writings would be assembled into book form long after their deaths, yet they agree totally on the central messages of God's relationship with man, salvation through faith etc?

]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity