Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So are you saying that faith in Jesus Christ is only required of people who knew of Jesus Christ and that those who did not know of Him will not be held to the same standard as those who did? Would that be an accurate statement of your belief?
Close, all will have faith in Christ, but not all in this life, and yes those who know Christ are held to a higher standard then those who do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandYank View Post
With all due respect, this thread is about whether Christ went to hell. If you all wish to discuss how one is saved and whether universal salvation is a true doctrine or not, by all means start another thread and we can discuss it there...
I'm a kind of a sticker for keeping to the topic of the OP, too, so thanks for the reminder, NEY. There is one problem, though, at least for me. I believe that Christ did go to Hell (i.e. the prison where the wicked were awaiting their resurrection), but that the reason He did so was to provide them with the opportunity to hear the message they had not heard during their mortal lives. It doesn't make much sense that He would preach the gospel to them and then say, "Too bad it's too late for you to accept it." Really, to me, the opportunity for all to hear the gospel, either during their lifetime or while they await the resurrection is crucial to an understanding of God's Plan of Salvation. It all does tie in to the topic of how a person is saved and whether universal salvation is a true doctrine or not. But, that said, I'm fine with trying to stick to the OP as much as possible. I just think that the scriptures are so brief in their discussion of this supposed visit to hell that maybe just about everything that can be said on the subject already has been said.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times
Quote:
With all due respect, this thread is about whether Christ went to hell. If you all wish to discuss how one is saved and whether universal salvation is a true doctrine or not, by all means start another thread and we can discuss it there...
NEY you asked us if Jesus went to hell what was His purpose in do so.

Were just answering your inquirery

Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Close, all will have faith in Christ, but not all in this life, and yes those who know Christ are held to a higher standard then those who do not.
Okay, it sounds like our beliefs are not terribly different then. We probably don't agree as to the specifics, but we do agree that those who did not have the opportunity to know about Christ in this life will end up having that opportunity before they are judged. That's nice to hear.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-26-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM

58 posts, read 87,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And with that statement we are back to the question posed by your OP. Did Jesus visit Hell? If so, why? What was the point of His visit if the fate of the wicked was already sealed?
The 1 Peter 3 passage does not say that Jesus preached the gospel. In fact, the word preach in this passage means proclaim. Perhaps Jesus went to proclaim victory over death and satan.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM

58 posts, read 87,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
NEY you asked us if Jesus went to hell what was His purpose in do so.

Were just answering your inquirery
Yes I asked if Jesus descended into hell because many Christians say he did. The creeds even say it. This has nothing at all to do with universal salvation.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
The 1 Peter 3 passage does not say that Jesus preached the gospel. In fact, the word preach in this passage means proclaim.
Preach or proclaim. Pretty much synonymous in that context, IMO.

Quote:
Perhaps Jesus went to proclaim victory over death and satan.
But why? If His audience was destined to Hell, what would His point be in doing so?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Yes I asked if Jesus descended into hell because many Christians say he did. The creeds even say it. This has nothing at all to do with universal salvation.
To me it has everything to do with it, NEY. It certainly doesn't guarantee a universal salvation, but it at least gives everybody a fair shot.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:58 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
I think you are confused.

You say Jesus went to Hell.
You say Jesus went to Paradise.

Before Jesus died the Rich Man was told he could never get out no matter what by Jesus Himself.
Now you say Jesus went to Hell and got many out?

Man, make up your mind!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I think you are confused.

You say Jesus went to Hell.
You say Jesus went to Paradise.

Before Jesus died the Rich Man was told he could never get out no matter what by Jesus Himself.
Now you say Jesus went to Hell and got many out?

Man, make up your mind!
Who are you directing your comments to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity