Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:31 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
One thing that irks me to no end is the media labeled Anders as a "far-right conservative Christian fundamentalist"...

That description fits MILLIONS of Christians, many of whom are members of this forum, and to the best of my knowledge NONE of them are out there shooting innocent kids...

Bud
Amen... Bud !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Define Christian: A Christian is a person who believes in, and has a relationship with Jesus Christ...
My goodness, Finn. Are you actually calling me a Christian?

Quote:
but this person says he does not believe in Jesus nor have a relationship with Him. He labels himself as Christian because of cultural reasons and because it supports his fantasy crusader/knights templar image.
I get what you're saying, but you're using your definition of "Christian" whereas, Behring appears to be using a different definition entirely. Don't get me wrong. I don't see Behring as a Christian any more than you do. It's just that he does claim to be some sort of a Christian, while denying having faith in Christ.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My goodness, Finn. Are you actually calling me a Christian?

I get what you're saying, but you're using your definition of "Christian" whereas, Behring appears to be using a different definition entirely. Don't get me wrong. I don't see Behring as a Christian any more than you do. It's just that he does claim to be some sort of a Christian, while denying having faith in Christ.
He could claim to be the prince of Austria, but it wouldn't make him one.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
He could claim to be the prince of Austria, but it wouldn't make him one.
I understand that, but he does appear to contradict himself. If he'd said, "Yes, I'm a Christian," or "No, I'm not a Christian," then I'd say things would be cleared up.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I understand that, but he does appear to contradict himself. If he'd said, "Yes, I'm a Christian," or "No, I'm not a Christian," then I'd say things would be cleared up.
They are clear enough for me. If you can't see what he is by looking at his fruit, then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
They are clear enough for me. If you can't see what he is by looking at his fruit, then I don't know what to tell you.
You just like to be argumentative, don't you, Finn? I already said, "I don't see Behring as a Christian any more than you do." For somebody who is so astute, you didn't pick up on that? Jeesh!

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-27-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
The danger of black and white thinking

Quote:
Because intolerant rhetoric, and ideological extremism, both appeal to the unconscious fears of our primitive ego, I believe all of us are capable of becoming intolerant and judgmental toward those we don’t know….those who are different.
Mr. Breivik is not insane. He is simply an intolerant, ideological extremist whose fear and paranoia crossed the line into violence.
Black-and-white thinking is black-and-white thinking. Regardless of where it is found, it always leads to judgmentalism and violence.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
One thing that irks me to no end is the media labeled Anders as a "far-right conservative Christian fundamentalist"...

That description fits MILLIONS of Christians, many of whom are members of this forum, and to the best of my knowledge NONE of them are out there shooting innocent kids...

Bud
It frustrates you? Why? He acted exactly like a fundamentalist Christian ... full of hatred and violence, despising those who are not like himself.
His actions are similar to a fundamentalist Muslim terrorist. There isn't much difference in the two.

I find it odd that the corporate media is not calling the man a terrorist. Is that because he is "Christian"???

How many times do you find the term "Christian" in the bible, btw???

Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It frustrates you? Why? He acted exactly like a fundamentalist Christian ... full of hatred and violence, despising those who are not like himself.
I was wondering when you would come in to say something like "He acted exactly like a fundamentalist Christian ". I knew you would never miss a tragedy like this as an opportunity to smear Christians.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Well, he's saying he's a Christian but not a religious Christian. Obviously he's not a religious Christian, but now that we know he's technically a Christian, where does that information leave us?
I think what he is saying is that he is an Atheist at heart, just like alot of Norse believers used to say before they were converted to Chritianity. "cultural Christian" means that he doesn't believe in Christianity but follows it's rules anyway. I'm sure he lost "true" faith somewhere along the way of being an anti-liberal Nazi Psycho. Alot of Christians struggle with their beliefs. He is definately a type of Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity