Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I don't get it. I was reading this post by Stillkit in another thread and it got me thinking about why God doesn't show Himself physically to us now, like Jesus did when He arose from the dead.

Quote:
The key words in that verse (1 Pet 3: 19) are "spirits" and "prison."

In the Greek, the word translated as spirits means souls, the animating part of us separate and distinct from the fleshly body. (there are other meanings of the word, but in context, I believe this is what's meant).

Prison, on the other hand, can mean either a place where captives are held or those guarding them. That comes from a word which means to keep a captive safe from harm which, in turn, comes from a series of words which refer directly to the descendants of the 12 sons of Isaac!

In context of what Peter was talking about, I believe Christ went in the spirit to show Himself to those people who had died with a faith in God.

And, yes, some believers were resurrected and poured out into the city as a witness to the reality of Christ. I don't know what happened to them later.
I'm not talking about people who claim to hear the voice of God or I'm not saying that God is not within us.....I'm speaking of real, tangible evidence like was given to the people in Jesus' time. Sometimes I feel like we've been abandoned to fend for ourselves and if you don't have the right belief system then you're screwed (according to some people).

Wouldn't it be great if God would physically prove Himself to all of us? Jesus HAD to return from the grave to "prove" that He was the Messiah so why can't He do that now? What was so special about that time and those people that we can't have the same courtesy?

I know what all the arguments will be.....I don't have enough faith that God is here with us now and I'm questioning God and His plan. Yes I do have faith, gobs of it, and no I am not questioning God's plan. And then there will be the argument that even if Jesus did return and walk among us there would still be unbelievers. True, I suppose but remember what Jesus had to do with "doubting" Thomas? I just don't see why we have to have all of this secrecy and mystery.....sometimes I feel like God has left the building.

Am I the only one who ever wonders about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Honestly, I don't get it. I was reading this post by Stillkit in another thread and it got me thinking about why God doesn't show Himself physically to us now, like Jesus did when He arose from the dead.

I'm not talking about people who claim to hear the voice of God or I'm not saying that God is not within us.....I'm speaking of real, tangible evidence like was given to the people in Jesus' time. Sometimes I feel like we've been abandoned to fend for ourselves and if you don't have the right belief system then you're screwed (according to some people).

Wouldn't it be great if God would physically prove Himself to all of us? Jesus HAD to return from the grave to "prove" that He was the Messiah so why can't He do that now? What was so special about that time and those people that we can't have the same courtesy?

I know what all the arguments will be.....I don't have enough faith that God is here with us now and I'm questioning God and His plan. Yes I do have faith, gobs of it, and no I am not questioning God's plan. And then there will be the argument that even if Jesus did return and walk among us there would still be unbelievers. True, I suppose but remember what Jesus had to do with "doubting" Thomas? I just don't see why we have to have all of this secrecy and mystery.....sometimes I feel like God has left the building.

What I found to be the biggest hindrance regarding my own spiritual doubts was the bible itself and the teachings of the churches...this is why I completely walked away from any type of organized religion. I then took many years to study, not only the bible, but the scriptures of the different religions. What I found astounded me...because there are many commonalities. When one strips away all of the man made precepts, doctrines and dogma of the various religions and compares the bare bones beliefs...they are all the same. In fact, what Jesus taught about denying self (ONES EGOIC/CARNAL NATURE), nonattachement to earthly possessions, being content, not worrying, being in the world but not of the world...is exactly what the Eastern religions teach. These are just a few examples but there are many more similarities. There are inspired and spiritual teachings in ALL holy books (even the bible)...but they must be carefully mined and discerned from all the man made minutia contained in them.

So I now keep my focus on looking WITHIN myself for the answers...I look WITHIN to my TRUE self (which is not the Egoic self that most of us manifest into the world) for this is where real change happens. The work has to begin WITHIN...if one looks outside themselves or to other people for their spiritual guidance...they will remain in the desert and in darkness. Each persons spiritual walk is different...no two are alike...it is a personal thing and should remain that way. God is within each and every one of us...but the majority are just not aware of it yet and therefore we are still manifesting our egoic/carnal selves into the world. When we finally come to this realization, when our consciousness has been raised to that of the Christ...we will then be able to manifest the Christ into the world...and our light will shine for others to see.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:

No you or not the only one. .

Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:

Jesus showed himself to his disciples after the resurrection. Many more saw him too. That was the proof of eternal life and a promise to those who came after that they too could have eternal life if they believe on Him. Then, He went up to sit at the right hand of the Father to make intercession for believers. That's the job God commanded Him to do during this time period and He's still there doing it.

But, He did not leave us alone. He sent the helper, the Holy Spirit, to those who believe.

The point is that Christ HASN'T left us alone, He HASN'T left the building. The proof of His presence and his resurrection is with believers every day in the form of the indwelling Holy Spirit. The lives of surrendered, believing Christian's is also proof to those who don't believe.

In other words, there's no reason for Him to keep coming back and re-proving Himself over and over. If people won't see the proof that is here now, what makes anyone think they'd see it if He did come back?

In any case, God requires that we believe as a matter of faith. In the Greek, that means He want us to believe on Christ based upon the evidence, not blind acceptance. The presence of the Holy Spirit and the eyewitness accounts of the resurrected Christ which we have in the Bible are evidence enough for anyone to make a decision to follow Christ. No further proof is necessary.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:

The reason you want to "see something physical" is because you have been taught that that is where you should look.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
The reason you want to "see something physical" is because you have been taught that that is where you should look.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What I found to be the biggest hindrance regarding my own spiritual doubts was the bible itself and the teachings of the churches...this is why I completely walked away from any type of organized religion. I then took many years to study, not only the bible, but the scriptures of the different religions. What I found astounded me...because there are many commonalities. When one strips away all of the man made precepts, doctrines and dogma of the various religions and compares the bare bones beliefs...they are all the same. In fact, what Jesus taught about denying self (ONES EGOIC/CARNAL NATURE), nonattachement to earthly possessions, being content, not worrying, being in the world but not of the world...is exactly what the Eastern religions teach. These are just a few examples but there are many more similarities. There are inspired and spiritual teachings in ALL holy books (even the bible)...but they must be carefully mined and discerned from all the man made minutia contained in them.

So I now keep my focus on looking WITHIN myself for the answers...I look WITHIN to my TRUE self (which is not the Egoic self that most of us manifest into the world) for this is where real change happens. The work has to begin WITHIN...if one looks outside themselves or to other people for their spiritual guidance...they will remain in the desert and in darkness. Each persons spiritual walk is different...no two are alike...it is a personal thing and should remain that way. God is within each and every one of us...but the majority are just not aware of it yet and therefore we are still manifesting our egoic/carnal selves into the world. When we finally come to this realization, when our consciousness has been raised to that of the Christ...we will then be able to manifest the Christ into the world...and our light will shine for others to see.
Yep! Great post!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:

God doesn't show Himself, because He's not like us. We're material and He's spiritual... a soul, which is invisible to our eyes. But we can perceive His presence when we receive in our souls His Divine Love. This is the evidence and proof that He's real and not a figment of our imaginations.

When those of us who are receiving the Essence of God to a sufficient degree, then our soul perceptions will "see" Him. In the meantime, we can have a close, personal relationship with Him... and me and my friends who receive His Love talk to Him all the time, so we know He's with each of us on our own level and space.

Several of my Divine Love friends have had experiences seeing visions of Jesus and received his love, which is different than God's Divine Love.

If you want to know more about who and what is God and what's up with Jesus, then read his messages on this website. He wrote through James Padgett and showed himself to Padgett. If we follow Jesus' teachings, he follows us and knows who we are.

http://www.truthforallpeople.com

Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Jesus showed himself to his disciples after the resurrection. Many more saw him too. That was the proof of eternal life and a promise to those who came after that they too could have eternal life if they believe on Him. Then, He went up to sit at the right hand of the Father to make intercession for believers. That's the job God commanded Him to do during this time period and He's still there doing it.

But, He did not leave us alone. He sent the helper, the Holy Spirit, to those who believe.

The point is that Christ HASN'T left us alone, He HASN'T left the building. The proof of His presence and his resurrection is with believers every day in the form of the indwelling Holy Spirit. The lives of surrendered, believing Christian's is also proof to those who don't believe.

In other words, there's no reason for Him to keep coming back and re-proving Himself over and over. If people won't see the proof that is here now, what makes anyone think they'd see it if He did come back?

In any case, God requires that we believe as a matter of faith. In the Greek, that means He want us to believe on Christ based upon the evidence, not blind acceptance. The presence of the Holy Spirit and the eyewitness accounts of the resurrected Christ which we have in the Bible are evidence enough for anyone to make a decision to follow Christ. No further proof is necessary.
Perhaps no futher proof is needed for you that may not be the case for others. It's somewhat mean spirited to tell someone no futher proof is needed when that someone has demonstrated the courage to speak up and say there's need for futher proof.

In addition to that, I don't think asking for additional proof is blasphamous against the Holy Spirit.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Yes, there have been moments in the past when my thoughts of why we can not see the things with the natural eye that were of the day of years passed, during the time when He, Jesus walked along side of the disciples.... and yes, I have cried out in times of despair or even joy if only you could sit here that I may touch you, hold you, sit in your lap, laugh with you, something..... and soon as I do God answers the cry/joy of my heart and reveals Himself to me in a very special way.... to encourage my heart in believin' and too shoutin'........

................."YES, LORD JESUS, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT, AMEN !!"

I don't believe I have ever thought it too be secrecy, a mystery..... as I know in my heart of hearts regardless what my fleshly mind will try to say, God is here with me that we/(I) have become partakers of Christ, if we/ (I) hold fast the beginning of our/(my) assurance firm until the end (Heb.3:14) and that God's grace has revealed the mystery to me, Jesus Christ, Him crucified on the cross for the sins of the world.... in whom died and in whom rose from the grave, resurrecting that we may have LIFE in Him and He is now sitting at right hand of the Father interceding for my life and those also who also will believe !!

He tells us that.... faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Heb.11:1) in reality the triumphs of faith are found in Christ Jesus, only !!

I believe with all my heart that no matter what we're to walk by faith, not by sight..... just like Paul, Peter, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and so on, they too.... "All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth (Heb.11:13), we too are just as they were in time past, having also to walking by faith waiting for the time that God's brings it all to an end.... amen !!

But I do have to ask.... the real question would the people really believe or want Him if He were in the physical, flesh ???

I just looked down during my proof reading and amen, skillkit with your post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity