U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,232,709 times

Advertisements

I contributed to "Favorite Atheist Quotes" on their forum and it struck me as a neat thread. If done right this equivalent will hopefully not be too contentious. I imagine some Christian philosopher or theologian has said something even an atheist could agree to so if they want to join in that would be okay by me. I mean as long as they're not tactless or proselytizing through quotes. (Same with those of non-Christian faiths)

Bible quotes are okay, but I don't want this to be a Bible thread as such. I imagine we already have many of those.

I have been all things unholy. If God can work through me, he can work through anyone. Francis of Assisi

Gladly we desire to make other men perfect, but we will not amend our own fault. Thomas a Kempis

There are more tears shed over answered prayers than over unanswered prayers. Teresa of Avila

Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"

Annie Dillard (I hope some of our atheist friends can at least see a little humor in that one)

It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it. G. K. Chesterton

To read the inconceivable, to scan
The million forms of God those stars unroll
When, in our turn, we show to them a Man.

Alice Meynell

Always remember that at the Last Judgement we are judged for loving Him, or failing to love Him, in the least person. Archbishop Anastasios of the Albanian Orthodox

Love every man in spite of his falling into sin. Never mind the sins, but remember that the foundation of the man is the same - the image of God. Orthodox Saint John of Kronstadt.

I don't know if these are precisely favorites, just ones I found and liked at this hour. Sorry if it's a bit too Catholic dominant, but I don't think many of these are sectarian and plenty of other people can add theologians or philosophers or writers of other denominations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:14 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,130,754 times
"I am the lion who came as a lamb and the lamb who roared as a lion. I am the living paradox of love unleashed upon the earth...a force to end it's duality. And you are My Beloved". Jesus - "Love Without End" saying this to the world.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
God’s love is complete and without limit for you and for all mankind. He is perfectly just and merciful. – Joseph B. Wirthlin (LDS Apostle)

Though argument does not create belief, the lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced, but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it nourishes a climate in which belief may flourish. – Austin Farrer

Thank you, Lord Jesus Christ, For all the benefits and blessings which you have given me, For all the pains and insults which you have borne for me. Merciful Friend, Brother and Redeemer, May I know you more clearly, Love you more dearly, And follow you more nearly, Day by day. -- Saint Richard of Chichester the 13th Century

When you take a small pebble and place it directly in front of your eye, it takes on the appearance of a mighty boulder. It is all you can see… Do not waste your energy on useless worry. The Lord will take the pebble that fills your vision and cast it down among the challenges you will face in your eternal progress. It will then be seen in perspective. -- Bruce C. Hafen (LDS General Authority)

For you see, in the end, it is between you and God.It never was between you and them anyway. -- Mother Teresa

If the work of God could be comprehended by reason, it would beno longer wonderful, and faith would have not merit if reason provided proof. — St. Gregory

Preach the gospel at all times. When necessary, use words. -- St. Francis of Assisi

Reason is one thing and faith is another,and reason can as little be made a substitute for faith, as faith can be made a substitute for reason. —Anonymous

Lastly, here's a humorous one, especially for Mormons and Catholics...

In Catholicism, the Pope’s infallible, but no one believes it. In Mormonism, the Prophet’s fallible, but no one believes it. -- Anonymous

Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Always remember that at the Last Judgement we are judged for loving Him, or failing to love Him, in the least person. Archbishop Anastasios of the Albanian Orthodox
Oh, that one's definitely a keeper!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM

6,221 posts, read 6,402,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I contributed to "Favorite Atheist Quotes" on their forum and it struck me as a neat thread. If done right this equivalent will hopefully not be too contentious. I imagine some Christian philosopher or theologian has said something even an atheist could agree to so if they want to join in that would be okay by me. I mean as long as they're not tactless or proselytizing through quotes. (Same with those of non-Christian faiths)

Bible quotes are okay, but I don't want this to be a Bible thread as such. I imagine we already have many of those.

I have been all things unholy. If God can work through me, he can work through anyone. Francis of Assisi

Gladly we desire to make other men perfect, but we will not amend our own fault. Thomas a Kempis

There are more tears shed over answered prayers than over unanswered prayers. Teresa of Avila

Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"

Annie Dillard (I hope some of our atheist friends can at least see a little humor in that one)

It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it. G. K. Chesterton

To read the inconceivable, to scan
The million forms of God those stars unroll
When, in our turn, we show to them a Man.

Alice Meynell

Love every man in spite of his falling into sin. Never mind the sins, but remember that the foundation of the man is the same - the image of God. Orthodox Saint John of Kronstadt.

I don't know if these are precisely favorites, just ones I found and liked at this hour. Sorry if it's a bit too Catholic dominant, but I don't think many of these are sectarian and plenty of other people can add theologians or philosophers or writers of other denominations.
Nice quotes Thomas! Thanks for posting them.

A little humor and humility always helps.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM

141 posts, read 100,276 times
I had tons of quotes and my computer crashed and I lost them all. But since we're having some levity here, I have this very short, safe and funny video you have got to see. After the red screen with the credits roll, keep watching - it isn't over.

‪Super True Stories: Best. Conspiracy. Ever. (Ep. 2)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,361,773 times
Remember what man is. He is the image of God, a child of God, a Christian, an inheritor of the Kingdom, a member of Christ. We must therefore esteem every man, although he may bear in his soul the wounds of sins. The wounds - are wounds; they are made by the Devil and sin, but still the image is the image of God. We must pity him for his wounds, grieve, pray for him as ourselves: for we are all - one body.

Saint John of Kronstadt

Old 07-27-2011, 06:04 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,232,709 times
I'm quite glad I encouraged a bit of Eastern Orthodox quotes. I sometimes think that's at times a "forgotten stream" of Christianity to us in the West or maybe even on this board.

Anyway I might look for some more quotes in books I have or the like. Those would take more time to jot down though.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,579,401 times
A few from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. -

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

"Another way that you love your enemy is this: When the opportunity presents itself for you to defeat your enemy, that is the time which you must not do it. There will come a time, in many instances, when the person who hates you most, the person who has misused you most, the person who has gossiped about you most, the person who has spread false rumors about you most, there will come a time when you will have an opportunity to defeat that person. It might be in terms of a recommendation for a job; it might be in terms of helping that person to make some move in life. Thats the time you must do it. That is the meaning of love. In the final analysis, love is not this sentimental something that we talk about. Its not merely an emotional something. Love is creative, understanding goodwill for all men. It is the refusal to defeat any individual. When you rise to the level of love, of its great beauty and power, you seek only to defeat evil systems. Individuals who happen to be caught up in that system, you love, but you seek to defeat the system."

"We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,741,256 times
Thumbs up My favorite quote outside of the bible

MY FAVORITE QUOTE OUTSIDE OF THE BIBLE

Gods purposes are so vast and glorious, beyond all guessing now, that when they are achieved and consummated, all our sufferings and sorrows of today, even the agonies that nearly break our faith, the disasters that well nigh overwhelm us, shall, seen from that fair country where Gods age long dreams come true, bulk as little as bulk now the pieces of a broken toy upon a nursery floor, over which, thinking that all our little world was in ruins, we cried ourselves to sleep.
Dr. Leslie Weatherhead

I love that quote.
I've had it memorized for many years and quote it frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity