Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, the Gospel message can be refined down to a single concept:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

That's it in a nutshell. Where else in God's creation is that said?

Like I said, that is your belief of what the gospel is, there are many variations that are taught, there is no reason I have to think yours is exclusively correct.

If the bible is the word of God we can also verify that if someone is loving their neighbor because they believe there is a greater purpose besides their own ego at stake for doing so, we will verify that is a righteous purpose in scripture, even if they have never used scripture to come to believe they should live that way.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Well, I'll accept that as a definition of a good or decent life and that's not dependent upon the Bible, even though it does contain some excellent moral advice. But, if you can't prove what that source is, doesn't that mean you're living a life without Christ? And, if so, how can it be a "Christian" life at all?

You can't prove what the source is just because you use certain words. With all due respect, a Christian cannot prove that God exists nor can they actually prove that Christ is real in their life.

They can say it, but that doesn't make it true. The scriptures actually verify that to the believer. As much as you might read and rely on the bible, the bible will not save you.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,386,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Seriously? That's the verse Muslims cling to to prove that the Bible isn't reliable. When you put the verse in context (something universalists and Muslims don't do), you will see that it does not mean what you are saying.

index

10 Facts you don’t want to know so you better stop reading right now

FACT
Jeremiah said the lying pen of the scribes added to the Laws of Moses

FACT
Paul said all scripture (not bible) is given by inspiration of God

FACT
The bible in use in the time of Christ was the Septuagint.

FACT
The Septuagint contains these books- I Esdras, Tobit, Judith, I Maccabees, II Maccabees,
III Maccabees, IV Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, Osee, Michaeas, Ambacum, Sophonias
Aggaeus

So if you do not believe these books are inspired by God as they were in the bible at the time Paul said all scripture is inspired by God are you not being hypocritical in your thoughts toward me for saying not everything in our bibles is scripture?

FACT
Justin Martyr in his discourse with Trypho the Jew stated that the scribes had deleted scriptures from the bible that plainly identified Jesus Christ as the Messiah.

FACT
These books I Esdras, Tobit, Judith, I Maccabees, II Maccabees,
III Maccabees, IV Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, Osee, Michaeas, Ambacum, Sophonias
Aggaeus

Have been deleted out of almost every bible today. Proving man has tampered with God word, as they were in the bible when Paul said all scripture is inspired by God.

FACT
1Jn.5:7 And Mk.16:9-20 are not in the oldest and best manuscripts but are an interpolation.

Again proving man tampered with the bible.

FACT
The Babylonian Code of Hammurabi was written 200+ years before Moses wrote the law

FACT
The law of an eye for an eye comes from the Babylonian Code of Hammurabi

If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out. [ An eye for an eye ]

Now you know where the lying pen of the scribes stole the law an eye for an eye from, adding it to the Laws of Moses and attributed it to Moses.

FACT
I bet you wished you stopped reading when I suggested it

P.S. all these facts are easily verified, ignore them if you want but facts are facts and they will still be facts if you ignore them.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
You can't prove what the source is just because you use certain words. With all due respect, a Christian cannot prove that God exists nor can they actually prove that Christ is real in their life.

They can say it, but that doesn't make it true. The scriptures actually verify that to the believer. As much as you might read and rely on the bible, the bible will not save you.
Do you any idea of how many its Message has already saved?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You're not serious are you?????????? Try looking WITHIN.
Yes, ChristyGrl, You can find God within as He is in every one but there is so much that suppresses all that God has for us. JER 17:9 "The heart is deceitful Above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Why else do you think that the world is has it is?

The Scriptures help clarify the nature of God. The Spirit and Truth agree to impart that nature more and more through prayer and understanding the Truths of God. All truth is not in scripture however, to that I agree. He has much to say through our experiences because His Glory is in all the earth and readily seen when not suppressed by lies. Prayer unblocks the suppression and revels Truths of Scriptures with Power that overcomes the world. It is the standard to clarify much of our spiritual experience. Don't mis out on the treasures stored up for you. Blessings upon you in your journey.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Do you any idea of how many its Message has already saved?
Reading the Bible and even relying on it, will not save you according to the traditions of Christianity, you may believe in a different tradition than Christianity, but Christianity is what I was referring to.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:40 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Yes, ChristyGrl, You can find God within as He is in every one but there is so much that suppresses all that God has for us. JER 17:9 "The heart is deceitful Above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" Why else do you think that the world is has it is?

The Scriptures help clarify the nature of God. The Spirit and Truth agree to impart that nature more and more through prayer and understanding the Truths of God. All truth is not in scripture however, to that I agree. He has much to say through our experiences because His Glory is in all the earth and readily seen when not suppressed by lies. Prayer unblocks the suppression and revels Truths of Scriptures with Power that overcomes the world. It is the standard to clarify much of our spiritual experience. Don't mis out on the treasures stored up for you. Blessings upon you in your journey.
We are in agreement Gary. I'm not discounting scripture entirely for there is much spiritual guidance and many spiritual messages that can be gleaned from them...but they also contain alot of man made minutia...that is why it is so important to allow the spirit WITHIN to guide one in discerning which is which.

What I am also urging is that people not take everything they read in it LITERALLY...the spiritual messages are revealed by the use of symbolism, allegory, parable, etc...and can be discerned and understood by accessing the spirit WITHIN. It is when one reads something literally, take it literally, try to live it literally, without accessing the spirit within, that they not only stay in the dark but keep those they teach in the dark.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
We are in agreement Gary. I'm not discounting scripture entirely for there is much spiritual guidance and many spiritual messages that can be gleaned from them...but they also contain alot of man made minutia...that is why it is so important to allow the spirit WITHIN to guide one in discerning which is which.

What I am also urging is that people not take everything they read in it LITERALLY...the spiritual messages are revealed by the use of symbolism, allegory, parable, etc...and can be discerned and understood by accessing the spirit WITHIN. It is when one reads something literally, take it literally, try to live it literally, without accessing the spirit within, that they not only stay in the dark but keep those they teach in the dark.
Agreed. Jesus said, "be care what you hear/read." Spiritual things must be compared with spiritual things to gain perspective. Perspective is the key, not narrow minded interpretations out of context to the whole and without the Spirits guidance. Have a great day!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Agreed. Jesus said, "be care what you hear/read." Spiritual things must be compared with spiritual things to gain perspective. Perspective is the key, not narrow minded interpretations out of context to the whole and without the Spirits guidance. Have a great day!
EXACTLY!!!! It's my philosophy...any day you wake up still breathing is a GREAT DAY!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:14 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course God has Dominion and His will is controlling. That's the point. It is BY HIS EXPRESS WILL that WE have Dominion over the earth. He is not an Indian Giver and will not go against His express Will.
Well, I don't know about you, but He directs my path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity