Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The passage you quote here doesn't apply to the pastor. Maybe his wife. I want to know, what action should be taken (if any) with regards to the pastor?
I'm still waiting for you to answer Jerwade's question. What do YOU think should be done? How would you show love for this man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Hmmm...seems you've run into one of those nasty little contradictions Christians like to ignore and pretend doesn't exist in their infallible and inerrant bible.

My take is this...which passage speaks love??? If it doesn't speak love...it is best to ignore it.
Love's the key, I agree. But I find that many times (not always) when I really take a harder look at those problematic passages, love ends up being behind them after all, in spite of the way they may have been applied /interpreted by many people in unloving ways.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:52 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Love's the key, I agree. But I find that many times (not always) when I really take a harder look at those problematic passages, love ends up being behind them after all, in spite of the way they may have been applied /interpreted by many people in unloving ways.
I absolutely AGREE 100% with you...because I don't find them to be problematic. When you look at the spirit behind some of the passages...you can clearly see the symbolic spiritual intent. I look at that passage as one where you learn NOT to treat people that way...you have to look closely at what's in your heart before judging another.

Unfortunately...the teaching is taken LITERALLY instead of as the symbolic passage it is...and many people are treated in this fashion by their fellow Christians.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I absolutely AGREE 100% with you...because I don't find them to be problematic. When you look at the spirit behind some of the passages...you can clearly see the symbolic spiritual intent. I look at that passage as one where you learn NOT to treat people that way...you have to look closely at what's in your heart before judging another.

Unfortunately...the teaching is taken LITERALLY instead of as the symbolic passage it is...and many people are treated in this fashion by their fellow Christians.
I guess it's a problem most of us struggle with (I know I do) ... wanting to go by the literal "letter of the law". It's just ... maybe easier? more comfortable? appealing to the "flesh"? ... than the Spirit of Love.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
1 Timothy 3

Overseers and Deacons

1 Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 7 He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.

8 Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9 They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons.
11 In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.
12 A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well. 13 Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.
14 Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, 15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. 16 Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in a body,
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.

Does verse 5 imply the pastor should be removed from his position, at least temporarily, as someone earlier suggested?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:21 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The prayer warriors in the church need to take a stand against this dark spirit that is challenging the leaders of their church,..... Like they can command the Lord to hold No prophecies message of faith until the issues are past , which means also no help from Holy Spirit in the preaching and teaching until all these challenges are past and the dark spirit are out .... Ask the Lord to prepare a plan for all these issues that are coming against His Ministries here ......... See it is easier and best to ask seek a knock to the Lord than take and judge the issues were lives can be disrupted for the benefit of the darks spirit that will win any victory against the Lord
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity