Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,189 times

Advertisements

Do you like Christian Fiction? I am reluctant to write , about time traveling bad guys going back in time to Kill the Apostle Paul. But that kind of stuff is selling, I am told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Does not sound like a Christian novel, but more like one of those bad science stories on the second class B movies on the late show late show........ Christians story usually shows some Christians morals plot lines of the heart for people to admire for their walk with Jesus ... Be blessed in Christ

Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Do you like Christian Fiction? I am reluctant to write , about time traveling bad guys going back in time to Kill the Apostle Paul. But that kind of stuff is selling, I am told.
If the time-travelling bad guys go back in time and assassinate the Apostle Paul, they will have created an alternate timeline in which Paul never wrote his famous letters to early Christian communities. What other ripple-effects might that create? The law of unforeseen consequences would suggest something unforseen, compounded by 2000 years of cause & effect.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Yes, I'm Christian, but quite frankly, the idea of Christian fiction doesn't interest me in the slightest.
(I wonder how long it's going to take for the atheists to recommend The Bible as some good Christian fiction. )

Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I don't know that I read much or anything marketed as "Christian fiction." However I sometimes like fiction by Christians that clearly shows their Christian values.

As you mentioned time-travel R.A. Lafferty did some good science-fiction stories with strong Catholic themes. There's also A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller. Miller was a convert, I wonder if that was possibly over guilt at being a part of the group that blew up a great Italian monastery in WWII, who ultimately left the Church. At the time he wrote "Canticle" though he was still pretty active in the faith, but it does potentially show some tension in him about it.

Outside Catholicism Cordwainer Smith wrote some interesting Anglican influenced Science Fiction. Although the Christianity in them is usually implied or allegorical rather than explicit. It's a far-future where people speak of it in codes like "The Old Strong Religion" or "The Man on the Cross." I'm not a C. S. Lewis person, but the Out of the Silent Planet Trilogy is seen as good Christian-oriented Science Fiction.

In Protestantism Stephen R. Lawhead is more Fantasy than Science Fiction, but I think he's done some SF. I read his straight-up historical novel Byzantium, due to a recommendation when I was in the hospital, and thought it was pretty good. He treated the Pre-Reformation Christian characters in it fairly well, which was nice to see from a Baptist. Or at least I think he's Baptist, Evangelical anyway. I'm not sure I've read many other Protestants in SF to be honest. Although Connie Willis sometimes interjects her, quite liberal and feminist, Mainline Protestant values in her works. There have also been a few Quakers in science fiction such as Joan Slonczewski. Conservative or Evangelical Protestantism is, I think, somewhat rare in Science Fiction. Zenna Henderson, though possibly Mormon, did stories I think could appeal to more open-minded conservative Protestants as her "People" stories kind of read like "What if the Waltons were extraterrestrials?" Meaning that the aliens look like humans and God has essentially given them the Bible. Oddly some conservative Protestants might like R.A. Lafferty, mentioned above, because although he was a Catholic he was a Creationist. One of the other worlds mentions something akin to "evolution as you knew it was disproved centuries ago" and how their world was, like all worlds, created by God.

Mormons, if we count them as Christian as I know some don't, are really fairly common in science fiction. The big name there, and one of the biggest names in Science Fiction, being Orson Scott Card. Much of Card's work is not explicitly religious in nature, but he had a series based on the Book of Mormon. Card is a controversial figure due to his involvement with the "National Organization for Marriage", opposition to same-sex marriage, and some statements he's made about Muslims. (Interestingly Card's novel Songmaster is partly based on stories concerning King David and has homosexual sex as well as a sympathetically, if a bit condescendingly perhaps, depicted Bisexual character. He has explained how he could write that and how he meant it.) There are several other Mormons in SF as well, some of them more socially liberal than he like I think Lee Allred is moderate, but I admit he tends to cast a big shadow.

For more info

http://www.adherents.com/lit/
http://www.adherents.com/lit/sf_other.html

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-29-2011 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 11:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,189 times
Default I think it's not for me either............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, I'm Christian, but quite frankly, the idea of Christian fiction doesn't interest me in the slightest.
(I wonder how long it's going to take for the atheists to recommend The Bible as some good Christian fiction. )
.............no atheists around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity